Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P drops WIFI connections frequently

BruKat
Aspirant

R7000P drops WIFI connections frequently

I am constantly dropping wifi connections, have to reboot router to get them back. No issues with direct internet. Any ideas?

Has been an issue for few months now, like to try fix it before going with something else

Thanks

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 22
Sezro626
Guide

Re: R7000P drops WIFI connections frequently

I am having this same issue. I downloaded a new firmware I want to try to change my firmware. I hope this is the right step to fix this. I think I will wait later today to try this. I work from home so stable internet is important to me.

Message 2 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

I have V1.3.2.134_10.1.66 currently and re installed it to no avail.

Message 3 of 22
plemans
Guru

Is it only wifi dropping? 

do wired devices drop?

Did you try a factory reset? 

Message 4 of 22
Sezro626
Guide

@plemans wrote:

Is it only wifi dropping? 

do wired devices drop?

Did you try a factory reset? 

For me I have everything wireless. Everything wirless drops. I haven't done a factory reset.

Message 5 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

Only wifi drops, hard wired stays on 

have not tried factory reset yet 

Message 6 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

@plemans is factory reset usually a recourse?

Message 7 of 22
plemans
Guru

Whenever theres an issue after a firmware change (might have auto-upgraded) a factory reset and new install (not using a backup configuration) is the first thing I try. 

Message 8 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

@plemans 

Completed factory reset and reinstalled firmware. Still drops Wifi but not as often, once it dropped the wired computers also and had to reboot router

Message 9 of 22
plemans
Guru

What actual modem/gateway do you have? 

the only other firmware I'd try would be the 1.3.0.20 firmware. the newer version had netgear armor and some routers have had issues with it

Message 10 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

@plemans 

Not sure what you mean by gateway/modem/

Have nighthawk R7000P router.

Current firmware is V1.3.2.134_10.66

Message 11 of 22
plemans
Guru

the gateway/modem is what the r7000p is connected to for internet service. 

I seen which version of firmware you were on. It is one of the newest ones but it has netgear armor integrated even if you're not using it. 

I've seen a few r7000p's that struggle with netgear armor. Its why when I recommend trying different firmwares on that router, I usually recommend the ones prior to armor. 

Message 12 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

@plemans Tried various firmwares to no avail. Same issue drops wififairly often. Also have to reconnect to wifievery time come back home,never did that before. Also noticed that it is dropping wired PCs also. 

Message 13 of 22

@BruKat wrote:

@plemans Tried various firmwares to no avail. Same issue drops wififairly often. Also have to reconnect to wifievery time come back home,never did that before. Also noticed that it is dropping wired PCs also. 

Please answer the question about the modem/gateway. We will not get much further without that information.

It is the hardware that sits between you and the Internet. For many people it is a modem, cable or DSL. It can also be a "optical network terminator" that connects you directly to a fibre-optic network.

The "gateway" description usually applies to something that combines a modem with a telephone connection.

You were asked about your "gateway" because these devices sometimes also double as a router. In those circumstances, you can end up with two routers on your own network. And that can lead to the symptoms you describe.

Message 14 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

@michaelkenward  Our provider has a Cisco Switch that has 2 lines off it. One was for wifes computer business but it is diconnected. Other line direct to Netgear router and 3 computers running off of it

Message 15 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

@michaelkenward We have had previous NetGear and DLink router running before with no issues with internet.

Message 16 of 22

@BruKat wrote:

@michaelkenward  Our provider has a Cisco Switch that has 2 lines off it. One was for wifes computer business but it is diconnected. Other line direct to Netgear router and 3 computers running off of it

Sounds a bit messy. Who knows what that Cisco Switch does? That's not a typical arrangement.

Were there two phones lines with separate modems and routers? Was it a single line with a dumb splitter of some sort?

Without that information, we are left guessing as to what  might be going wrong at your end.

@plemans asked about the modem./router for good reason. Sadly, your answer puts it outside anything I have seen mentioned here. Maybe someone else has seen a similar arrangement.

Message 17 of 22

@BruKat wrote:

@michaelkenward We have had previous NetGear and DLink router running before with no issues with internet.

Those routers were connected to something. I still don't understand what though.

Message 18 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

@michaelkenward

I cannot understand why it is an issue. Fibre comes into house and goes to switch and separates the 2 lines. One line direct to computer upstairs and one direct to Netgear router. As previously stated I have not had an issue before switching to this new router so cannot understand why it all of a sudden is a gateway issue and not a router issue.

Thanks anyway probably cut my losses and get another router, this one has been an expensive headache since day one.

Message 19 of 22

@BruKat wrote:

Thanks anyway probably cut my losses and get another router, this one has been an expensive headache since day one.

Unless you can explain just what this atypical Internet source is, you could end up in the same position.

Have you tried using your older routers again?

@BruKat wrote:

Fibre comes into house and goes to switch and separates the 2 lines. One line direct to computer upstairs and one direct to Netgear router.

For a start, "fibre" can mean several things. If it is "optical fibre", it points to an optical termination that talks to the outside world and provides you with an Ethernet port that could can connect to a router.

If it is fibre for cable Internet, it points to a modem.That then provides the Ethernet port that could can connect to a router

If it is an Ethernet cable that suggests that something "back at base" is handling the traffic. Then you just need a switch to add ports.

The big challenge for me is to understand how both of these devices, the router and your computer upstairs, get their Internet service. In other words, how do they get a "public" IP address on the Internet.

An ISP usually hands out one of those to each customer. The user then has a modem that connects to that. So that we can all use a bunch of things, we have routers that talk to the public IP address on the modem and manage the local addresses.

In your case, I do not understand how your two devices get their local addresses.

The more normal way of going about it would be to have single cable coming into the premises. The router connects to that. The PC upstairs then plugs into the router, and all the other bits also plug into the router, sometimes through a switch that sits between the router and the local stuff so provide enough ports.

Message 20 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

@michaelkenward 

We have had the same fibreoptics for 8 years have had 3 different routers with no issues. One line in switch separates wifes computer from router. Upstairs needs a dedicated line for wifes work, Different billing. Other routers still work. Coverage was **bleep**ty thats why the change. This nighthawk does have better coverage but drops internet a lot. Cant see it being an internet source issue when all started with new router.

Message 21 of 22
BruKat
Aspirant

I decided to get rid of the Netgear and go with Linksys and have not one issue.

Bad experience with Netgear.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7