Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P drops WIFI connections frequently

decker12
Star

I bailed on the router and re-setup my older R6700V2 which has been working perfectly for the past bunch of days. Something's just plain broken with the 5ghz on this R7000 so it's useless to me. Spent $200+ on it just 8 months ago and now the thing is acting sketchy. 

Sorry Netgear, you lost me as a customer. I'll use the R6700V2 until other vendors come back in-stock (stockpiles are low right now) and then swap manufacturers and let all my friends, family, and coworkers know to do the same. Ya blew it.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 76 of 86
MSE-6
Aspirant

@decker12 wrote:

I bailed on the router and re-setup my older R6700V2 which has been working perfectly for the past bunch of days. Something's just plain broken with the 5ghz on this R7000 so it's useless to me. Spent $200+ on it just 8 months ago and now the thing is acting sketchy. 

Sorry Netgear, you lost me as a customer. I'll use the R6700V2 until other vendors come back in-stock (stockpiles are low right now) and then swap manufacturers and let all my friends, family, and coworkers know to do the same. Ya blew it.

I did the same. I even got an RMA, but I need to pay return shipping. That's just throwing good money after bad. I went with an Asus RT-AX58U. Finally a WiFi connection that works like it's supposed to. I'm really unhappy that I blew $160 on this pos R7000P.

Message 77 of 86
Ramzkee
Initiate

Hello @joejoeinc,

Thanks for sharing your experiance!

I purchased this router 2 days back. I have started facing this issue from the day 1.

Then when I searched in this community and happened to see your post.

I could recreate this problem, when I connect my external hard disk and browse few files. Later after few mins, all my devices connected to this router fails to connect to the internet, but the LEDs of 2.4 and 5G stays lit without blinking, which means there is no packet transmission between any devices.

Still I haven't tried disabling the MU-MIMO option. Thats the buying point for this router.

I was very exited when I bought this router, now feeling very disappointed. Also upset that @netgear  doesn't came forward in sovling this issue.

I will try disabling the MIMO option and try.

I am thinking of returning this router.

Message 78 of 86
decker12
Star

@Ramzkee 

You should return it while it's still within the return window. I plugged in my old R6000 and haven't had a single issue for weeks now, but it's an older router and as you said, I bought the R7000P for specific features.  Disabling MIMO didn't solve the problem for me anyway. 

I also suggest switching brands. No reason to throw more money at Netgear when they won't fix the problem after all these years. I'm waiting for the Acer to come back in stock and I'll never look back at Netgear.

Message 79 of 86
Ramzkee
Initiate

Hi @joejoeinc @DarrenM @decker12 

I tried the below,

1. Disabled the MU-MIMO

2. Connected USB Hard Drive and browsed few files.

After few mins, router freezes, All the LEDs in white no blinking.

Now, disconnected the external hard drive and restarted the router. Let me see if I see the issue again.

I dont think still keeping this router without

1. MU-MIMO

2. Use of External storage devices.

Sorry Netgear!

Message 80 of 86
joejoeinc
Apprentice

Considering that MIMO is  selling point of this router and no one seems to be able to use it that's pretty poor form. 

Can we tag anyone from netgear into here to have a look? 

Message 81 of 86
decker12
Star

Considering this post was made a year ago, I doubt they're going to take a look or make any fix for this. With my R7000P, I was running it fine for 6 months with MIMO and all the options turned on. Then out of the blue, the 5ghz radio started to regularly die. Almost always at night, after a full day of work, and about every 2 days.

No rhyme or reason, just shut off and stayed off until I rebooted the router or turned all the radios (both 5ghz and 2.4ghz) on and off.

People suspect it's heat related on the R7000P and I tend to agree. Dunno why it only effects the 5ghz radio tho. Must be that it gets hot enough to scramble something inside of it that stays scrambled until a reboot. There's nothing I can do to fix it - I'm not going to start unsoldering chips inside this thing, and Netgear doesn't seem to care because they just RMA them. But the core problem remains, and IMO it's just a matter of time before everyone's R7000P starts doing this.

This has been enough of a disruption during the shelter in place and my family doing everything from home that I won't give Netgear any more money. I had a spare R6000N which I'm using right now but that's only because the Acer I'm looking at is out of stock.

Message 82 of 86
Renaldo123
Guide

I don't know how long it's been since my last post, I think a few weeks/months. 

Just wanted to report that after disabling all the options that made this router expensive (effectively turning it, into a cheaper machine), connection stability has improved considerably. There is a nagging issue, which did not happen with my previous router, where one of my laptops keeps dropping out of the wifi several times while in use. These drop outs are maybe 10-20 seconds in duration, and it eventually it reconnects on its own. It could be a laptop issue which has suddenly appeared after upgrading router, but given all the issues I've experienced with all my devices, I take it that the router is also at fault.

So I can finally say that I'm not angry at this crap, but  not happy either. Lesson learnt, rather than googling for reviews on a router, read the threads on the problems.

Message 83 of 86
Renaldo123
Guide

@Ramzkee wrote:

Hi @joejoeinc @DarrenM @decker12 

I tried the below,

1. Disabled the MU-MIMO

2. Connected USB Hard Drive and browsed few files.

After few mins, router freezes, All the LEDs in white no blinking.

Now, disconnected the external hard drive and restarted the router. Let me see if I see the issue again.

I dont think still keeping this router without

1. MU-MIMO

2. Use of External storage devices.

Sorry Netgear!

Save yourself the grief, return it!

Message 84 of 86
phetamine
Tutor

It's been almost 30 days since I've turned off mu-mimo and turned on QoS - so far so good (knock on wood) re: wifi connection stability. I haven't bothered with logs tho' so I can't say 100% for sure but day-to-day uptime has been pretty solid. Still this is not exactly confidence inspiring by any stretch of the imagination for this product.

The regulars over on the networking sub-reddit frequently recommend the ubiquiti amplifi line so I just might give that a try. Not exactly cheap but might be worth the extra $ since I'm so tired of spending countless hours troubleshooting.

Message 85 of 86
schlucass
Initiate

THANK YOU! I know this is an older thread, but I have had a lot of trouble with my R7000P dropping WiFi if more than one device tries to wirelessly connect. I had to troubleshoot with support staff multiple times until they replaced my router with the same model, but that didn't solve the problem. After finding this thread today, and disabling MU-MIMO, I have had no problem connecting 4+ devices.

Message 86 of 86
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7