Highlighted
Tutor

R7000P drops WiFi connections

My R7000P frequently drops the wifi connections to multiple attached devices.

When it drops the connection to my Mac, it does not autormatically reconnect and I have to manually reconnect.

When it drops connection to a Rapsberry Pi, it goes into a cycle of having a connection for a few seconds, then dropping it for about 15 seconds, then reconnecting for a few seconds... (I am using ping in a terminal to watch it cycle.)

This seems to be similar to the same behavior other people see with the R8000P

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000P-dropping-wifi-connection/m-p/1411834#...

and the R7000

I have done a total-reset to factory condition and manually configured it in the simplest way (separate 2.4 and 5GHz networks) and the problem persists.  (The Pi runs onthe 2.4 GHz band and stil has the problem.)

As in the R8000P thread, I have a USB drive attached.  I think it may have been more stable before I attached it.  The firmware is up to date.  Network is Xfinity 200 MBps.  ~12 wifi devices.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: R7000P drops WiFi connections

I have 

1. Turned off the 'SmartConnect'
  2. Unplugged the USB drive

And things seem to be working mostly.

I think the SmartConnect kept trying to move 2.4GHz-only devices to 5 GHz, leading to repeating cycles where the device would connect at 2.4, then lose connection.

I will try plugging in the USB drive and see whether things stay stable.

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

What did you finally do to solve this?  I bought this router today and have fought it all day with at least 20 drops with no reconnects. Finally hooked up my Linksys back so I could have internet

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

When I plugged in a USB drive, it immediately became flaky again.  

So both SmartConnect (automatic 2.4/5 GHz switching) and Disk sharing are broken on this device.

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and then did not allow Dynamic QOS or Smart Connect and its working fine except that I cant figure how to enable the 5ghz.  It wond broadcast and when I look at it from the routerlogin site, its red and not enabled

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

Did you fill in the Name (SSID) and all the other fields in teh 5 GHz section?

Try giving it a name different from teh 2.4 GHz Name.

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes I did. I have a name Eagle River 2.4 and a name Eagle River 5 to separate the diff
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

After about an hour on the phone to Netgear they agreed to replace it ($16.95 in charges).  The paperwork says that they will send me a R7000P-100NAS.

It may be that the 'NAS' means that the Network Attached Storage actually works on this one.

Anyway, I just missed the Amazon free-return deadline because of all the time I spent trying to get it to work, so that was my option.

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Guru

> [...] they will send me a R7000P-100NAS.
>
> It may be that the 'NAS' means that the Network Attached Storage
> actually works on this one.

More likely, the "NA" in "NAS" means "North America".

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1486202

As for shared storage ever working properly on any of these things, I
wouldn't bet much on it.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

I got a replacement.  By the time I got a replacement, the next version of the firmware was out (V1.3.0.20_10.1.1).  The USB3 port does not work on the replacement with the new firmware, so I plugged the drive into the USB2 port in back.

Since then it seems to be working 'fine'.  Time Machine reports that backups are being done.  I removed a file and restored it using the Time Machine Backup so at least it wasn't Potemkining that file.

Life's too short to see if I can get the USB3 working somehow, or to see if the automatic band selection is still broken.  I will just use it as a middle-frills router and write off any extra I paid for the extra features as water under the bridge.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements