Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P firmware 1.3.1.44 breaks Access Control and Attached Devices

JeffHWI
Guide

R7000P firmware 1.3.1.44 breaks Access Control and Attached Devices

Since upgrading my R7000P to firmware 1.3.1.44, I can no longer see attached devices, and have no way to manage them via Access Control. Before the upgrade to 1.3.1.44, I had Access Control enabled and also used Dynamic QoS. I could edit device names and priorities, etc. using the Attached Devices page and Access Control page. It was a little frustrating before 1.3.1.44 because it seemed that the custom names I gave to devices had to be updated separately on both the Attached Devices page and Access Control page, leading me to believe that the names were not stored in a shared table.

After I updated to 1.3.1.44, some of my custom names and QoS priorities were lost. As I edited each device, it subsequently disappeared from the Attached Devices page, and then could only be found in the offline devices section of the Access Control page. I also see no attached devices in the Nighthawk app on my iPhone. The allowed devices are still able to connect, but nothing shows online as connected, and I would not be able to authorize new devices if I wanted to. Next step is to take note of all my settings, then do a factory reset of the router, then configure my settings and allowed devices.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
JeffHWI
Guide

BUT, after a couple more reboots things were not visible again. So it looks like reverting to 1.3.1.26 is the solution until the next firmware after 1.3.1.44.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 22

All Replies
pekbo
Guide

Same problem only I've been debugging for it a week.  Any word from Netgear at this time?  I can't see my network and my security cameras are flaking out but I can't debug them.

Anyone know of a way to backup a rev of FW?

Message 2 of 22
paperbag
Tutor

I have the same problem also.  To add another bug to the list, if you look at Status on the home page, it said all the lan ports (eth0 - eth3) are down and not taking any traffic but it is taking traffic.  Please fix.

Message 3 of 22
JeffHWI
Guide

I did not mention that I tried re-applying the 1.3.1.44 in case there was some error during the upgrade. The browser GUI was smart enough to tell me that I had already applied that version, allowed me to proceed, but it did not fix the issue.

I did not try downgrading because I did not know if it is possible, and also did not want to lose the other fixes/improvements from 1.3.1.44. Below is a link to the previous version of you want to try. I would think IN THEORY that if the GUI was smart enough to warn me that I already applied a version, that it would also warn/prevent me from reverting if it would brick my router. I would hope that the worst would be to have to manually enter your settings again, unless you have a backup of your config from BEFORE 1.3.1.44, since I personally would not try using a config backup taken after applying 1.3.1.44.

https://kb.netgear.com/000055569/R7000P-Firmware-Version-1-3-1-26

Message 4 of 22
pekbo
Guide

I did downgrade last night.  Worked flawlessly.  Ignore the warning that your going to replace your current firmware with less recent firmware.  All is good.

Netgear QA is frightening me.  This issue make all devices invisible to me and I was unable to manage my network.  This is a day0 bug that should have been caught with a simple visual inspection of their test networks.

Netgear - please RSVP.  Please tell us your are listening and you are going to fix this ASAP.  End users need to know about this issue, it's very serious.

Pekbo

Message 5 of 22
JeffHWI
Guide

UPDATE:

I am still on 1.3.1.44 and never reverted. Today I painstakingly did screenshots of my config, then reset the router to factory settings. After putting my settings back in, the Access Control and Attached Devices now works. In addition, both screens actually seem to reflect the custom names that I give devices on either screen.

Message 6 of 22
JeffHWI
Guide

BUT, after a couple more reboots things were not visible again. So it looks like reverting to 1.3.1.26 is the solution until the next firmware after 1.3.1.44.

Message 7 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Can I get some more info on this issue

1.  When the device disappeared on Attached Devices page, were these devices online?
  2.  Are there devices wired or wireless?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 22
pekbo
Guide

Every device disappeared including wired and wireless.

Message 9 of 22
pekbo
Guide

Forgot to answer your 1st question they were all online and functional, just not showing up as attached.  I checked them.

Message 10 of 22
JeffHWI
Guide

I had the same experience. Both wired and wireless devices were all able to connect, just not visible on Attached Devices page. And they were also shown as offline on the Access Control page. Rebooting router and devices did not change anything.

Message 11 of 22
Trifster
Guide

My issue is worse. I'm losing almost all but not every single wirelss device on reboots/power failures including LAN devices. Wireless clients can see SSID but nothing is connecting. Factory reset and re-config is the only fix for me and this is now its 3rd failure same exact failure mode. Last night after it happened again due to a power failure (im in NE US getting all the rain) i factory reset it but only turned Circle back on. I usually use Dynamic QoS as well but i didn't have time and wanted to start to triage settings that may be an issue.

Message 12 of 22
Trifster
Guide

@JeffHWI wrote:

I had the same experience. Both wired and wireless devices were all able to connect, just not visible on Attached Devices page. And they were also shown as offline on the Access Control page. Rebooting router and devices did not change anything.

From another thread:

Re: Dynamic QoS on R7000P
In the Chinese section, I learned that the customer service told some people that the problem is a firmware issue.
Downgrading or turning on Dynamic QoS can solve this problem. Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 22
Jjw00d
Aspirant

Is Netgear working on a fix? If so when is it going to released?

Message 14 of 22
JConforti
Aspirant

Reverting the firmware does fix the "Attached Devices" issue but you end up losing Armor.  For me, Armor was one of the reasons I purchased this router.  There are more issues with this version (V1.3.1.44_10.1.23) as well.  Under DHCP, I set a reserved address for each of my always connected devices.  After resets, or "applies", many times they do not get their assigned address.  I hope they fix this soon.  Was on the Phone with them today for 40 minutes and I may be given a Beta version.  Hopefully, this indicates that they are aware of the issues and are working to resolve them.  It is disconcerting that it's been since June 2018 and it has not been fixed yet.  

My network isn't that complicated.  My old r6300v2 always work flawlessly.

Message 15 of 22
pekbo
Guide

Due to the issues with this router (R7000P) I have now removed it and it sits in the "for sale" bin in my office.  I replaced it with the:

Which so far appears to work fine.

I'm a fan of netgear, just wished they'd stop playing around with ARLO and get back to high end routers for the rest of us.

Rick

Message 16 of 22
idazco
Tutor

I have the exact same issue with this model and the same firmware upgrade seems to have caused the issue for me as well.  Going to down-grade since this firmware is obviously something they pushed in a hurry to get the AppArmor feature out.

Message 17 of 22
idazco
Tutor

Same here. No devices show and I have both types

Message 18 of 22
idazco
Tutor

@pekbo .. does that product support bridged mode?

Message 19 of 22
pekbo
Guide

Yes

Message 20 of 22
DinoFaReal
Tutor

I too have encountered this issue but my additional problem of downgrading the firmware is that I have subscribed to Netgear Armor (I love it) but the previous firmware does not support it (as far as I know).   

Message 21 of 22
ClarDold
Apprentice

My attached devices list was just fine on R7000P V1.3.1.44_10.1.23, no access control, no QoS.

I swapped out a wired Netgear WNR1000v3 router that I was using in bridge mode downstream in another room.

I replaced it with a wireless EX7000 which has five ports, and works beautifully, faster than my 100BaseT wired.

One of the wired devices downstream of that EX7000 stopped working.  I could see it get an IP address in the logs, but it didn't respond to ping, and didn't work for the IoT application to its host.

I was fussing with that IoT device, and recabling here and there, with an occasional R7000P reboot.

The attached devices went to 0.

I tried setting QoS on, as suggested above.  No difference.  I still have 0 devices.

I don't know if there is any association between the lost list and the IoT device that isn't working when not attached to the WNR1000v3.
I now have the R7000P, the EX7000 wireless, and the WNR1000v3, with the IOT and a printer.

Everything is happy, except the Attached Devices list.

Someone else noted that all of the wired ports are "down".  That has been true for quite a while.  I think on many releases of firmware.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7