Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P goes offline every couple of days

R7000P goes offline every couple of days

Since a couple of weeks I end up in the situation that all clients are connected to the WiFi or wired network but can’t connect to the internet. The routerlogin.net configuration site shows no problems at all at that time while the Nighthawk app says the internet connection is offline. When checking the IP config of the router every seems to be okay (identical to when it’s working fine). My experience this far is the only option is to reboot the router. When it’s back online everything works fine. At the same time I get the message the the router is compatible with Disney Circle and that it can be enabled. When I do so it works fine but I only need to do this in case the router has had this issue. When rebooting under normal circumstances I never have an issue with Circle.

My router is running firmware 1.3.1.44 which appears to be the latest version.

Anyone else experiencing the same issues and know what to do about it?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Easiest to start with this:

Make a back up (.cfg) and save to your desktop.  Then reset the device.  If the .44 FW is stable, there is no need to downgrade.    

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies

Greetings,

You are not the only person whom I've heard mention this behavior with 1.3.1.44.  Before assuming its the router...

What is in front of the R7000P?

How is this device configured?

When the router is in a "working" but no internet to client's state, is the internet LED white?

Obviously the FW was updated, did you do this manually or was it automatic?

Has the router been reset since it was upgraded?

Start with this.  Reset the router to defaults using the [Erase] button in the GUI.  Make no changes except what is needed for internet. 

Does the behavior still occur?

If it does, you have a few options.  Reflash the existing FW manually.  Do not use the Genie App or Auto-Check and Update feature.  Or flash one version back and see if that resolves the issue.  Things to keep in mind.  Modem (configuration) if applicable can affect the routers behavior.  Auto Check & Update introduces a potential point of failure and (while convienent) is not the preferred method to upgrade.  Enabling the auto update feature is not always a good idea.  Go to bed with working router, wake up to a headache.  Upgrades should always be planned and done on your terms.

Resetting after a upgrade or flash is recommended when unexpected or undesireable behavior occurs.  Flashing manually is always best.  Do so from a computer connected via ethernet.  The files below must be unzipped before you flash.  You can flash forward or backwards to any FW supported by your router model. 

Last, once the router is configured and functioning as you like, make a back up of its configuration.  This too is done in the routers admin console and only takes a minute.        

***EDIT, Just read though .44's release notes.  Concerning to see this:

>> Fixes the issue where the firmware update fails when using the Windows genie desktop app or genie mobile app

Many prople assume and use Genie Desktop or App to upgrade.  There was obviously a problem previously.  More proof that manual update is safest.    

Message 2 of 9

I didn't pay attention to the LED's on the device itself. I'll have to check next time it occurs (it'll happen soon enough ...).

Once that's clear I'll go through the steps you're suggesting. And most likely I'll start with downgrading the firmware right away. It's been high on my list of possible causes since I'm more or less certain this never happened with previous versions. 

Thanks for the advice.

Message 3 of 9

Easiest to start with this:

Make a back up (.cfg) and save to your desktop.  Then reset the device.  If the .44 FW is stable, there is no need to downgrade.    

Message 4 of 9
lepa71
Guide

My R7000 does the same thing. Mine is in bridge mode but just hangs there with no IU access.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 9

After a week of flawless operation my router lost it again this morning. I reset it completely after taking a config backup. Since the reset it's been working fine but that's usually the case for the first day or two after a reboot.

The more unpleasant surprise was that the backup could not be read and restored. The whole process lacks the possibility to validate the backup really. So it's taken me an hour or so to get everything back to the settings as before. 

And the second really annoying surprise was that the Circle parental control configuration was gone as well. Every single detail (profile, devices, limits, ...) had to be entered again from scratch. 

If I ever need to do the same again I seriously doubt what I will do: throw it out or spend another couple of hours... 

Message 6 of 9

@Steven_Beullens,

Sorry to hear of your multiple issues which just further compunded an already unpleasant situation. 

I've never had a .CFG file which could not be read.  Admittedly I don't make them often.  I've only ever needed one or two for a particular FW version and rarely if ever have had a need to restore.  Lucky I guess.

Parental controls, never used them ( so again lucky).  Worst I've ever had to do is restore an ACL and a few address reservations (about 30 devices in total).  I keep a back up and a txt file so recovery isn't always painless, but  is manageable for the most part. 

Something you can try.  After you have the device working, restart it gracefully using the reboot option (Advanced tab).  Now make your back up (.cfg).  Can't say this will for sure, but it always has for me. 

Good Luck

Message 7 of 9
Katywtx
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same exact situation.  We'd put in the password to connect our devices and it would say "can't connect to network" on my laptop and on our phones or other devices it says "invalid password" even though the password is correct.  This is getting extremely old and time consuming.  Of course it is out of warranty and I can't get anyone to help me with it.  I don't understand what the "fix" is.  They want us to reset to factory defaults and then reload the update?  How do you do that?

Message 8 of 9

Until now the factory reset seems to be a good solution. The router hasn't lost its internet connection since then.

If you want to do the same:

1. Go to routerlogin.net

2. In the menu go to 'Advanced' > 'Management' > 'Back-up settings' (the exact words may be a bit different. My interface is in Dutch and I've translated the words)

3. Click 'make backup' (a little above the middle of the screen) and save the file to a known location. Now you should have a copy of all your settings. I say 'should' on purpose because this is exactly what I did but the file appeared to be invalid when I tried to restore it afterwards ... Maybe it's a good idea to try to restore the exact same settings from the file you just created before taking step 4.

4. On the same screen a bit lower it says 'restore factory settings' and a button 'erase'. Click on that one to restore the factory settings.

Some warnings though: 

- Make sure you know how to connect to your router after the reset. Normally routerlogin.net will be accessible if your on the same physical network. Another option is to physically connect to the router

- All of the settings will be lost so you won't be able to connect to the internet before the router has been configured again or the backup has been succesfully restored. It's nice to have a backup connection to the internet using 4G via your cell phone in case you need to access any additional support

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7