Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P lost internet connectivity - how to resolve without losing Circle data?

jsansy
Aspirant

R7000P lost internet connectivity - how to resolve without losing Circle data?

I have had an R7000P router connected to an AT&T broadband gateway for the past four years so I could use the Netgear/Disney Circle parental controls. After a power blip recently, the Nighthawk router is no longer accessing the internet. It is putting out a signal we can see from our devices, but no one can join it. Tried connecting a laptop to the router via ethernet cable to verify and it is definitely not online. The AT&T wifi is still working fine. (And yes, everything has been power cycled and cables have been unplugged and reconnected.) All the troubleshooting info I'm finding wants me to access the router via the routerlogin website but with the router offline how am I supposed to do that? I am seeing a firmware update is available, but again, not sure how to access the router.

Internet LED is solid white.

Is there's something obvious I'm missing short of a factory reset?

I haven't tried the nuclear option yet because I don't want to have to redo the Circle setup from scratch if I don't have to. Will Circle profiles, approved websites, etc., be lost in a factory reset or will those remain in my app? Would I be able to transfer those to a "new" Circle if I do have to do a factory reset?

AC2300 WiFi Router (R7000P) 

Message 1 of 7

Re: R7000P lost internet connectivity - how to resolve without losing Circle data?

@jsansy wrote:

I have had an R7000P router connected to an AT&T broadband gateway for the past four years so I could use the Netgear/Disney Circle parental controls.

This raises an immediate question. What "modes" are the devices in?

If you put your R7000P router behind an AT&T broadband gateway there is a good chance that you have a router followed b a router. That is a recipe for chaos.

What is this " AT&T broadband gateway"?

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I suspect that the R7000P doesn't do Circle in AP mode, so it is probably working as a router.

When you set up your network, installing the R7000P behind a router, the thing tries to prevent these clashes and adapts its settings accordingly.

Your recovery strategy depends on how your network is set up.

All the troubleshooting info I'm finding wants me to access the router via the routerlogin website but with the router offline how am I supposed to do that? I am seeing a firmware update is available, but again, not sure how to access the router.

In the usual way.

How do I log in to my NETGEAR wireless router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But first this:

After a power blip recently, the Nighthawk router is no longer accessing the internet. It is putting out a signal we can see from our devices, but no one can join it.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 7
jsansy
Aspirant

Re: R7000P lost internet connectivity - how to resolve without losing Circle data?

Not sure what you mean about what modes the devices are in. Yes, the gateway is a modem/router. They have worked together just fine for more than four years. No settings on either one were intentionally or deliberately changed. 

"In the usual way" doesn't help me as I have tried to follow those very instructions you shared. I can't get past

1. Launch a web browser from a device that is connected to your router's network.

because I can't connect to the router's network. Have tried desktop, laptop (via ethernet), and iPhone.

The AT&T device is BGW210. The devices that connect directly to that wifi are not having any problems.

I just went through the network reboot again per your instructions. Before I even turned the computer back on I could see the Netgear's network name among wifi options on my phone, but could not connect to it. Opened the AT&T app to view what devices were connected to it and the Netgear router is there. It appears as R7000P. (It was not showing up as a connected device at all last night, so this at least is something different.)

All LED lights solid white. But when I select the network w/phone or computer, nothing happens.

The AT&T network data is telling me cascaded router status is disabled. Secondary sub net also disabled. But I have no idea what these settings may have shown prior this problem developing. If I enabled cascaded router status before, I don't remember doing that. But I would need a cascaded router address and network address and I'm not sure where to find those. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Try option #2 first.

Also enable IPv6(Auto) as well on the R series router. 

Message 4 of 7

@jsansy wrote:

Not sure what you mean about what modes the devices are in. Yes, the gateway is a modem/router. They have worked together just fine for more than four years. No settings on either one were intentionally or deliberately changed. 

As I tried to explain in my reply, apologies if it was confusing, when you set the things up in the first place the router tries to adjust to your network.

When that happens, there is no need for you to intentionally or deliberately change anything. The router does it for you.

So, if your gateway squats on the local IP address 192.168.1.1, your router, which also likes to use that address, notices that and tries something else. It will usually opt for a local address of something like 10.0.0.1

So, the gateway can happily work with the router with both in router mode, but start things in the wrong order and that happy coexistence falls over.

If somethimg goes wrong later, those settings can conflict with one another asd youyr devuces start uo and look for the local settings.

@jsansy wrote:

"In the usual way" doesn't help me as I have tried to follow those very instructions you shared. I can't get past

1. Launch a web browser from a device that is connected to your router's network.

because I can't connect to the router's network. Have tried desktop, laptop (via ethernet), and iPhone.

Does a browser get you anwwhere with 192.168.1.1? 10.0.0.1?

This is worrying:

The AT&T device is BGW210. The devices that connect directly to that wifi are not having any problems.

If you have two separate wifi betworks, then you are asking for trouble. A router is supposed to handle wifi traffic and its addresses. Hard to see how your two router can collaborate when managing that?

I suggest going back to basics. Work out how to put the gateway into bridge (modem only) mode and use the router as the router. Leave that to handle you wifi.

Setting up Circle will be a lot easier than managing the mess you seem to have now.

I fear that advice to mess around with fancy Ethenet cables and to worry about things like firmeare version and IPv6 is more likely to confuse that inform. As you have said, it has worked well enough for years. Those things won't have changed. Worrying about them is almost certainly a boilperplate red herring.

Stick to the task in hand before getting distracted.

None of that addresses the circumstances you have described.

Message 5 of 7
jsansy
Aspirant

Thank you - your explanations that time around were easier to follow.

No, neither 192.168.1.1 nor 10.0.0.1 will go anywhere when I'm on the AT&T wifi and since I can't connect to the Netgear Nighthawk I can't try that way.

When I rebooted everything earlier I gave it more like 5 mins between steps rather than 2, so the order of operations shouldn't be an issue. 

Since the AT&T modem is hardwired and then Netgear is connected by ethernet cable to that, then I'm not clear on how the Netgear could usurp the AT&T modem's IP address. Wouldn't the AT&T one have to establish itself upon startup before Netgear can reach the internet anyway? 

Really never noticed any issues at all before, so they did seem to happily coexist. There was no mess and no interference, as far as I could tell. Clearly I don't understand all the ins and outs of how everything works together. But our smart home devices and the adults in the house whose internet doesn't need filtering use the AT&T wifi and the kids have been connecting to the Netgear wifi. At the time I set this up, AT&T wasn't offering parental controls (or none that were worth a darn) and Xfinity, which did have them, wouldn't service our address. Also ruled out another local provider -- can't recall why. I learned about the Netgear w/Circle and don't recall having any difficulty setting it up as a separate wifi cascaded w/the other one.

Sounds like going back to basics means doing a factory reset. I would love to hear from someone with experience with the Circle that came on the Nighthawk to address whether all the profile settings would be lost or if they are recoverable/transferrable from the app. Over the course of four years, there was a lot of fine-tuning of those profiles that happened for the two kids in the house. It will be a frustrating ordeal to recreate those, which is why I haven't jumped on that solution. 

If I end up going the factory reset route, I'll look at doing what you suggest w/the gateway. Thanks for your time helping me!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try option #2 of the suggestion i gave. 

For any Circle help and information, please post here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Good Luck. 

@jsansy wrote:

Thank you - your explanations that time around were easier to follow.

No, neither 192.168.1.1 nor 10.0.0.1 will go anywhere when I'm on the AT&T wifi and since I can't connect to the Netgear Nighthawk I can't try that way.

When I rebooted everything earlier I gave it more like 5 mins between steps rather than 2, so the order of operations shouldn't be an issue. 

Since the AT&T modem is hardwired and then Netgear is connected by ethernet cable to that, then I'm not clear on how the Netgear could usurp the AT&T modem's IP address. Wouldn't the AT&T one have to establish itself upon startup before Netgear can reach the internet anyway? 

Really never noticed any issues at all before, so they did seem to happily coexist. There was no mess and no interference, as far as I could tell. Clearly I don't understand all the ins and outs of how everything works together. But our smart home devices and the adults in the house whose internet doesn't need filtering use the AT&T wifi and the kids have been connecting to the Netgear wifi. At the time I set this up, AT&T wasn't offering parental controls (or none that were worth a darn) and Xfinity, which did have them, wouldn't service our address. Also ruled out another local provider -- can't recall why. I learned about the Netgear w/Circle and don't recall having any difficulty setting it up as a separate wifi cascaded w/the other one.

Sounds like going back to basics means doing a factory reset. I would love to hear from someone with experience with the Circle that came on the Nighthawk to address whether all the profile settings would be lost or if they are recoverable/transferrable from the app. Over the course of four years, there was a lot of fine-tuning of those profiles that happened for the two kids in the house. It will be a frustrating ordeal to recreate those, which is why I haven't jumped on that solution. 

If I end up going the factory reset route, I'll look at doing what you suggest w/the gateway. Thanks for your time helping me!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7