• 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Follower

R7000P slow Wi-fi speeds

Hi,

I’ve just bought an R7000P router as a slight upgrade on my R7800, however when I’ve tried it out, the Wi-fi performance is much worse.
Using my iPhone XS over Wi-fi, and using the speed test app, on my old R7800 over 5Ghz I get ~170Mbps down and 598Mbps up (I have a fibre gigabit internet connection), but on the R7000P I get about 85Mbps down and the same up. I have the band steering turned on so I just have a single SSID to join (no choice between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz).

I was hoping someone might be able to help me work out why the speed is so slow. I’m running he latest firmware on the device, have no other devices connected, and am sat in the same rooms as the router.

Thanks for your help!

Matt
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 13
Highlighted

Re: R7000P slow Wi-fi speeds

@matt_wood87 wrote:

I’ve just bought an R7000P router as a slight upgrade on my R7800

Most  experienced users would rate the R7800 ahead of the R7000P. I have both, with the latter sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

That Amazon wants 50% more for the R7800 is another clue.

Using my iPhone XS over Wi-fi, and using the speed test app, on my old R7800 over 5Ghz I get ~170Mbps down and 598Mbps up (I have a fibre gigabit internet connection), but on the R7000P I get about 85Mbps down and the same up.

Tried turning of QoS, if it is on?

I would also doubt those speed tests. 598Mbps up with wifi sounds highly unlikely.

I’m running he latest firmware on the device, have no other devices connected, and am sat in the same rooms as the router.

We only have your word for that. A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi, 

I'm having similar problems (96Mbps on 2,4ghz but only 19Mbps on 5ghz on my kindle fire hd 8 ). I suspect the issue is not being able to bond the 5ghz channels to get the full 80mhz signal the router is capable of. I's love to know if anyone has a fix for this.

Firmware Version 
V1.3.1.44_10.1.23

Message 3 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

What PHY speed is your wireless device connecting to the router?  See duckware.com/wifi for how to do that.  Then find the number in one of the PHY tables there -- which can tell you a LOT about the connection.  Take around 55% of the PHY value as an estimate of maximum real world speeds.

Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

Downgrade to V1.0.9.42 firmware as it looks like there is a memory leak.

Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi again Duckware, 

Phy speed is 150mb, so I'd expect to get about 70Mbps, but even when the kindle is practically on top of the router, it only manages to download in the high teens. (upload speed is the full 12Mbps from my ISP.

Message 6 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Well, 150 is 802.11n 40Mhz channel.

According to https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tablets/ft-device-and-feature-specifications.html, the "Fire HD 8" does not have 802.11ac support -- it says "802.11 a/b/g/n (dual band)".

Do other devices get high speed (just not the Fire), or are all devices that slow?

Message 7 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

duckware, would you endorse buck wem's suggetion?

"Downgrade to V1.0.9.42 firmware as it looks like there is a memory leak".

Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Honestly, no idea.  But hey, if you have the time to try it, why not?  But a warning, allow the update to finish on its own.  If you turn power off/on, that is very bad and will likely brick the router (allow the update the restart on its own).  And regardless, there is a very ultra slim chance of bricking the router anyway (happened to me once).

Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

OK Duckware, Im confused.

I switched to 2.4ghz on the tablet and only got a phy speed of 65Mbps, and a download speed of 19Mbps, yet my phone connects at 150 and easily manages to reach upwards of 80Mbps phone's wifi is 802.11 b/g/n (recall I have disabled 20/40Mhz coexistence. 

My other problem, is that I have two outdoor Nest cameras. These are also 802.11 b/g/n, but don't connect over 72Mbps(Phy speed) either

Message 10 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I personally have given up trying to make (n) 2.4 GHz connections fast.  I just try to use (ac) 5 GHz all of the time, which is very fast.

To debug things, use a 5 GHz SSID with "-5G" appended to the SSID name, so you know for a fact which band the wireless device is connecting to (otherwise it may always be 2.4 GHz).

Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi duckware, 

Sadly I'm stuck with three 802.11n devices & I do use different SSIDs. Guess I'll just leave this one as unsolved in the hope someone else has any ideas :-(

Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey Duckware,

Just thought I'd post an update. I decided to do some further tinkering and enabled QoS. The strange thing was when I did, it automatically showed that my kindle fire was already assigned as the lowest priority! I reassigned it and now have stable download speeds >90Mbps on my kindle fire with just a slight deterioration in wifi on my other devices (i.e, all 5Ghz ac devices receiving > 150Mbps).  

Although I'm still getting slow connection on my nest cams, I think this is a problem with them, rather than any router settings and I've raised the issue with them. 

In the meantime, I do hope my experience will help some other poor sod who's stuck with 2.4Ghz devices Woman Very Happy

Message 13 of 13