Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000P won't reconnect to 5GHZ mode using Smart Connect

hageemah
Aspirant

R7000P won't reconnect to 5GHZ mode using Smart Connect

Setup - Spectrum 200/10 with Arris TM722 Modem connected directly to R7000P via Cat 5e.  No other routers, switches, or any other network appliance.

Problem - When using the router with Smart Connect, our home devices will most times not reconnect to 5Ghz when in close proximity.  Our devices almost always prefer 2.4Ghz even when in the same room as the router.  If I reset the router, our iphones will reconnect back to the preferred 5Ghz where I will get over 200 Mbps.  If I walk far enough from the router, it will fall back to the 2.4Ghz where I will get about 75Mbps.  If I walk back to close proximity to the router, our devices will stay stuck at 2.4Ghz getting 75Mbps.  It will sometimes with no rhyme or reason switch back to 5Ghz where I will get 200Mbps.  It does not matter how long I stay in the room.  I have updated to the latest firmware. Please help.  I might return the router if no solution.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
hageemah
Aspirant

Yup looks like it was Smart Connect.  I tried changing a lot of settings (Smart Connect, SSID, transmit power, 20/40 Coexistence, Channels, and Disney Circle). I have kept Smart Connect off and my iphones select the preferred WiFi as I roam around the house.  I am now getting the 235Mbps download rate.

Unlike Android, Windows, and Mac OS X, you cannot explicitly prioritize your WiFi networks in iOS.  You can prioritize one WiFi network over another by following this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202831

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

@hageemah wrote:

If I walk back to close proximity to the router, our devices will stay stuck at 2.4Ghz getting 75Mbps.

The router just sits there chucking out wireless. Isn't it the wifi client's job to connect to the best wifi source?

Have you tried setting the R7000P to use Smart Connect?

There is a manual for the R7000P somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R7000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 77.

Message 2 of 7
hageemah
Aspirant

Yeah I'm using Smart Connect.  Apparently the Smart Connect is selecting 2.4Ghz for most if not all of my devices. Even when the devices are in close proximity.  

I updated the firmware, did a factory reset, updated the SSID/password, and selected Smart Connect.  It seemed to work after. (My devices were connecting to 2.4 when far away and 5 when close to the router).  But this morning, all my devices went back to connecting to 2.4 .  I suspect the Smart Connect is the culprit.  There is no config to tune the band steering. If all else fails, I'll probably try rolling back to their very first firmware with a factory reset and see if that works.  

Message 3 of 7

Try turning off Smart Connect.

Message 4 of 7
William10a
Master

Yes turn Smart conect off should help with the 5 ghz band.

Message 5 of 7
hageemah
Aspirant

Yup looks like it was Smart Connect.  I tried changing a lot of settings (Smart Connect, SSID, transmit power, 20/40 Coexistence, Channels, and Disney Circle). I have kept Smart Connect off and my iphones select the preferred WiFi as I roam around the house.  I am now getting the 235Mbps download rate.

Unlike Android, Windows, and Mac OS X, you cannot explicitly prioritize your WiFi networks in iOS.  You can prioritize one WiFi network over another by following this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202831

Message 6 of 7

Great feedback.

My ancient Android devices seem happy to change their wifi sources as I move around. Looks like iOS has once again decided that it knows best.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7