Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000p Readshare - how to force default share name?

dav0dav0
Guide

R7000p Readshare - how to force default share name?

Have an R7000p in an area with frequent power failures.
When the router comes back up, the Readyshare drive share name is "T:/" -- but according to the user's manual it's supposed to default to USB_Storage...and even when I manually set it to that, with the next power failure it resets to "T:/".

What am I missing???

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
dav0dav0
Guide

Re: R7000p Readshare - how to force default share name?

Discovered after much experimentation that there's a work-around for this bug.

The first principle is that the share name must be the same as the volume name, at least under Windows NTFS.

The second principle is that both names can't have a space in them.

So if you have an NTFS drive assigned to the letter T, name it foo_bar and then have the Readyshare volume name be foo_bar...and then it works.

Note that if it doesn't work immedaitely (i.e., readyshare still wants to call the share T:\ after you've edited the name), this is likely to contribute to unreliability of the whole router in a few days (it may continue to serve WiFi, but it won't let you log on to the router and it may take forever for new devices to be let on to the network).

This bug applies to firmware V1.3.2.134_10.1.66 as well as several revs before it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
dav0dav0
Guide

Re: R7000p Readshare - how to force default share name?

Discovered after much experimentation that there's a work-around for this bug.

The first principle is that the share name must be the same as the volume name, at least under Windows NTFS.

The second principle is that both names can't have a space in them.

So if you have an NTFS drive assigned to the letter T, name it foo_bar and then have the Readyshare volume name be foo_bar...and then it works.

Note that if it doesn't work immedaitely (i.e., readyshare still wants to call the share T:\ after you've edited the name), this is likely to contribute to unreliability of the whole router in a few days (it may continue to serve WiFi, but it won't let you log on to the router and it may take forever for new devices to be let on to the network).

This bug applies to firmware V1.3.2.134_10.1.66 as well as several revs before it. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7