Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

Re: R7100LG Modem Router drops connection every 1 hour

I'll try to contact support next week, but what puzzles me is the EXACT-to-the-second 13h duration of the connection:

connect: Oct 4 13:57:22

disconnect Oct 5 02:57:21

Smells (stupid?) software bug more than anything else

Model: R7100LG|Nighthawk 4G LTE Modem Router
Message 51 of 87
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi Emr,

I`m now in contact with a technician from the Netgear Support Team. I had a disconnection again yesterday. He told me I have to save the Debug file you can find it for example:

http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm

and sent it to him. This I made it also today I hope they found a solution soon because the Router is for me unacceptable for this price. I have 3 security cams connected on it and  usually the failure comes when I'm not on site to restart.

I can remember that with the beta firware I once got fewer failures for example one in 2 months.

Nevertheless, if they can not handle the problem I want my money back if I have to with a lawyer and I buy an AVM Fritzbox or Huawei or ASUS acquaintances of mine havt the Fritz Box and this Router works without problems since a year!

Greetings

Message 52 of 87
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi,

That with the 13 hours I would not rate if the device would be fine it must run for years without  connection interrupted for example this one: AVM Fritzbox or my TP-Link Router.

Greetz

Message 53 of 87
Highlighted
Guide

I also still got the same issue, using latest firmware: V1.0.0.48_1.0.6, it's been over a year now and still no fix for such an expensive product, what should we do to get a working firmware once and for all ?

Message 54 of 87
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi gbuisson,

I would say contact the support immediately. I have got a beta testing Firmware V1.0.0.48T2_1.0.6

since 8 days I have no disconnection. I'm still waiting for the next disconnection then I can upload the Debug logfile to the Support. If they cannot solve the issue I suggest them for a refund this would be ok if I can demonstrate that the router is not working correctly.

Greetings

Vigo

Message 55 of 87
Highlighted
Guide

Thank you, unfortunately registering my product I see that I have no chat, no email, and no phone support, which means no support at all...

are you able to share the firmware somehow ?

That would be much appreciated thank you !

Message 56 of 87
Highlighted
Tutor

I've been trying to contact netgear support many many times...

I have the same problem you guys are experiencing. Rebooting the device or changing any value on routerlogin.nets Internet Setup and pressing apply will bring the connection back again. Weird indeed.

Message 57 of 87
Highlighted
Guide

actually from a developper perspective I think it can be very easily explained,

somewhere in their code there must be a buffer or a memory space of fixed size and once it's full the router crashes.

frankly I'm fed up, not having support of any sort even though it's a known issue is very infuriating, moreover they still sell it and everybody has the issue on amazon comments.

I'm going to start by posting messages on social media and if nothing happens, then I'll talk to my lawyer, if we're enough we could sue Netgear collectively for selling a faulty product.

Message 58 of 87
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

just as an additional information: I discovered that by turning off all remote access, VPN, dyndns and similar services the overall situation becomes slighly better, in the sense that frequent disconnections are still there but after some time the router recovers. This does not by any means describe an acceptable situation: when the cellular signal is good there is no reason for frequent disconnections, and there is no reason the recovery takes long - but at least when left alone the router does, sooner or later, detect the disconnection and take action. In addition, since VPN and dynamic DNS are definitely useful, I do not consider switching them off as a serious fix.

b.t.w. it is not necessary to reboot, a "disconnect" and "connect" operation is enough.

Regarding Netgear support, I am well beyond the period during which support is free, and I'm not really sure I want to pay additional money for a support which, up to now, does not seem to find its way to solve a bug. Seriouly guys ... if return code from ping is not 0, then issue a disconnect/reconnect ... come on ...

Message 59 of 87
Highlighted
Star

Hi
Its me again. Sadly i need to tell u that the dev team knows how to fix that issue since ‎2017-12-29 01:14 PM i shared that beta fw here on page 1. But this FW never became official. Im running it since this date without any disconnections (some other stuff i can life with still apear. But i dont care for them.) I quit supporting devteam after more then a year answering same questions over and over again. They just dont care. I think they never unpacked an device by them selfes to investigate it. Greetings
Message 60 of 87
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi at all,

I got 2 beta firware from the support in one month the last one is about one week ago. The last did not bring any improvement on the contrary. I told the support that I´m not longer interested in acting as a beta tester they should offer me a solution. The answer was I have to send my purchase invoice and I get my money back. This would be ok. form me and thereafter Netgear is history for me.

ps.

@Absynthe 

which firmware do you mean on page 1

Greetz

Vigo

Message 61 of 87
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

... any chance you share it again?

cheers

Message 62 of 87
Highlighted
Star

Sorry its 1st post on 2nd page.
Wait 4 it...
Message 63 of 87
Highlighted
Star

At first a little guide:

Save your settings

Download the file

install it

do you realy want to install an older firmware? Yes you do!

Load your settings (or setup all new by yourself)

Now the important:

enter the debug page of your device at:

www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm

scroll to the bottom and sellect 120 hours

klick on Debug apply next to that

scroll down again

klick on mobile apply

Finaly klick on Start capture.

now it should work

Here is the file:

https://ufile.io/e5i56

That Link will stay available for the next 30 Days from now on!

Greetings

Message 64 of 87
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

thanks! will test it asap

Message 65 of 87
Highlighted
Apprentice

Many Thanks to Absinthe!!!

Let´s test it, if works you are the Hero Heart

Greetz

Message 66 of 87
Highlighted
Tutor

Did not work for me Smiley Sad today morning I was greeted by disconnected internet. But I consider Absynthe as a hero anyway, because Absynthe has done more than Netgear service to help me to solve this problem Smiley Happy

Message 67 of 87
Highlighted
Guide

Using the Beta I didn't get disconnected for the weekend so far, did you follow all the instructions for the debug thing ?

Anyway I'm going to start adding reviews on all ecommerce sites, especially amazon in all languages,  people need to know that this product is defective before buying.

Message 68 of 87
Highlighted
Star

If it doesnt work try flashing FW again. And do that debug thing again. Sometimes the device isnt flashed correctly.
Message 69 of 87
Highlighted
Tutor

Well well, two weeks and not a single drop! I don't know is it the firmware version or the debug settings that keep the connection alive (I might test it later...), but the router seems to work finally. Thanks Absynthe!

Message 70 of 87
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi,

That´s great to hear maybe a solution was finally found after more than a year of working on the firmware. For me it is too late I was sick and tired of it etc. My router is back to Netgear for a week and I get my money back.

I'm using .... b618 now and that's faster than 7100 and works really well now as it should be.

All the best and grettings from

Vigo

Message 71 of 87
Highlighted
Tutor

Quick update, 4 disconnects in last 4 weeks, a lot less than before, but still not perfect. I'll make a warranty claim and lets see what happens.

Message 72 of 87
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

hello guys,

i'm new to this forum and have already the same lte issue with this router.

since months i tried to get a solution for this fail.

why is NETGEAR not reacting to our proplem and take some actions to solve this?

they are selling a expensive useless product and don't care whats after.

Countless recessions worldwide confirm this.

@netgear firmware team: finally, please give us some feedback!

Message 73 of 87
Highlighted
Guide

Sorry, have made an error. Please read my next reply. El
Message 74 of 87
Highlighted
Guide

Hey guys, same problem here for more than a year. Nighthawk R7100LG Drops Connection. Firmware 10048 installed. Sometimes drops till 4 times in an hour. Also drops during the night, without traffic. Sometimes recover itself automaticly after 2-3 minutes till half an hour, but most of the time I have to restart with Genie , exeptionaly even had to reset/reiniciate and even have manualy restored factory a few times. Also downloaded and reinstalled latest firmware 3 times. Am following it by log/ hour/email. Would like to try Absynthe R7100LG_Q1_1.0.0.33T1_1.0.6.chk but link is dead. Pitty. Is it possible post it again. Tnx in advance. El
Message 75 of 87