Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7100LG SIM reception drop outs

Elnero
Guide

R7100LG SIM reception drop outs

Found some similar questions earlier but  cant find the answers, so 

I am using this 3/4G router at home but also in the motorhome traveling through Europe. Problem in the motorhome is weak and/or often signal-loss because (Faraday) . I think  external antennas can be the solucion .....  or putting the router outside of course ;-). As far as I can find there are all 3 antenna's on this router ..... are those used for the mobile 3G / 4G connection ????.  

1. Is it  a correct assumption that all 3 attached antennas are for 3G/4G connection? 

2. If so, which specific external antennas's are needed/ can be used ;  and should I replace all 3 of them? 

3. If not, where are the 3/4G reception antennas situated and is it possible to connect them on an external antenna?

4. or do you have other advise.

Thx and best regards,

EL

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Elnero
Guide

Thank you very very much Shumaku. This is realy a FULL OPTION SENSEI answer.

あなたの謙虚な  (Anata no kenkyona)

El

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Elnero wrote:

1. Is it  a correct assumption that all 3 attached antennas are for 3G/4G connection? 

No.

@Elnero wrote:

2. If so, which specific external antennas's are needed/ can be used ;  and should I replace all 3 of them? 

There are no external antenna connectors for the 4G/LTE module, these are directly connected to internal antennas.

@Elnero wrote:

3. If not, where are the 3/4G reception antennas situated and is it possible to connect them on an external antenna?

To the left and the right sie of the router - image borrowed from https://www.redeszone.net/netgear/nighthawk-r7100lg-4g-lte-ac1900/

NETGEAR_Nighthawk_R7100LG_analisis_27.jpg

@Elnero wrote:

4. or do you have other advise.

Once the warranty is over or it can be considered obsolete, happy DIY, drilling machine, get two adapter cables RP-SMA (mounting in a hole) to UFL/U.FL/IPX/IPEX RF A (from an old scrapyard WiFi router for example!) - consisting of e.g. Pigtail, 1.37 mm cable with IPEX/U.FL® connector and SMA cable jack, bulkhead mount, 1.37 mm cable, crimp, add some nice antenna like LTE Antenna, OMNI directional for all LTE bands, w. two 5m SMA. Talk to WiMo - they are great(!) and will assist with cable crimping. Dont make the internal cables longer than required, see the examples from Netgear!

But now - it will help to some extent, but can't make wonders - the loss in the cables and connectors will eat away a good part of the antenna gain. Still better than in a RF "insulated" Faraday cage. 

Message 2 of 3
Elnero
Guide

Thank you very very much Shumaku. This is realy a FULL OPTION SENSEI answer.

あなたの謙虚な  (Anata no kenkyona)

El

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7