Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7300 DST, QOS, Automatically update performance optimization database fails

DrXtreme
Tutor

R7300 DST, QOS, Automatically update performance optimization database fails

Is there a setting that I need to change to get the QOS database update to work? When I click "Update Now" to check for new data it returns 
"Attempting to connect to Netgear Server. Please Wait..." --

Then it returns:

A New Detection Database is Found. Do You Want to Upgrade to the New Version Now?
Current Detection Database Version:v1.46
New Detection Database Version:v1.80

Clicking on "YES" the router says Attempting to connect to Netgear Server. Please Wait... -- It flashes once (statement goes away - then returns to same "Attempting to connect to Netgear Server. Please Wait...") -- Then it says could not download database and I get the "Database could not be downloaded from the NETGEAR server. Please check your Internet connection." error message

Do I need to change a setting to get this to work? 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 142

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7300 DST, QOS, Automatically update performance optimization database fails

The latest firmware 1.0.0.52 should fix it.

View solution in original post

Message 133 of 142

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7300 DST, QOS, Automatically update performance optimization database fails

Hello Drxtreme

Is this on the D7000 or the R7300?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 142
strubinsky
Guide

Same here: r7300

A New Detection Database is Found. Do You Want to Upgrade to the New Version Now?

[Yes]

Database could not be downloaded from the NETGEAR server. Please check your Internet connection.

Message 3 of 142
itxnc
Aspirant

We're seeing the same thing with an R7300 we're installing for a client.

And please don't say call Geek Sqaud. This is a Netgear issue

Message 4 of 142
strubinsky
Guide

Second that...third that.. and so forth that!

Geek Squad's help is completely useless. They told me the same: It's a Netgear part and they more-or-less only replace broken items. And to be honest, for the price (I bought it a year ago to a year ago's price) that I paid I expected more support. Needless to say that I waited around 30 minutes at Netgear's line to be told that they would not even talk with me about the 7300 and I should contact BestBuy ... and the rest is history ... In the beginning, the store clerk did not even know, neither believe that the GS was a support -nay, THE ONLY-) support option for us buyers. And since I had no Best Buy bill-of- sales (I had not bought @he device @ BB) he might maybe, possibly, kindly, take the device and check it for 99$, but needed to ask for a manager first!

Message 5 of 142
DrXtreme
Tutor

R7300 DST with latest firmware

Message 6 of 142
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello All,

Please update your firmware to version 1.0.0.46

Message 7 of 142
Waldosr
Initiate

Updated firmware and I am still having the same issue.  Geek squad tried everything from reconfiguring my modem and changing a lot of settings on the router.  No luck.

Message 8 of 142
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Waldosr Did you try to factory reset? One community user confirmed that fw version 1.0.0.46 fixed the problem. 

Message 9 of 142
strubinsky
Guide

@ElaineM: I did and had even reloaded the firmware. I was already at the latest version but the 7300 started to become very unstable which motivated me to reload the firmware to be sure that no bit of the firmware had gone sour.

Message 10 of 142
Waldosr
Initiate

I did a factory reset and still have the same issue.  I did not change any settings before trying to update the QOS database.

Message 11 of 142
natebd
Aspirant

I've updated to the Beta BIOS V1.0.0.46_1.0.13 and tried all other listed recomendatons.  There is indeed and issue with updating the QoS databse, just as everyone else has described:

(Yes)

Database could not be downloaded from the NETGEAR server. Please check your Internet connection.
 The Internet connection is obviously fine. 
Message 12 of 142
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@natebd Kindly check your inbox. 

Message 13 of 142
strubinsky
Guide

Ahhhmmm, and the rest of us have to stay update-less?

Message 14 of 142
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@strubinksy I sent you a PM on the 19th. See your inbox too. 

Message 15 of 142
natebd
Aspirant

Hi ElaineM.  I replied.  Thanks!

Message 16 of 142
natebd
Aspirant

And please let the other community members seeking this info know when the fix is published as well.  Thanks!

Message 17 of 142
DrXtreme
Tutor

Elaine - So does your firmware you provided us also contain the fix for security advisory VU 582384? If not when will your fix be back propt into the a firmware package that also contains this? I have already delt with one customer that has possibly be exposed to the code injection issue.

Message 18 of 142
goodkat22
Aspirant

Hello,

I am also having issues updating the QoS database, even after restting to factory default and loading to the latest firmware.

Message 19 of 142
strubinsky
Guide

It allegedly does also mitigate the vulnerability in question. But it is beta, which is why we don't get them as easy as we wish since there might be side effects.

I won't be able to test and document the outcome soon since I am in the process of replacing mine. It developed erratic behavior after 11 (!!!) months use and it's a pain to get an in-warranty replacement.

Others have also received the firmware replacement and will be able to verify that or if both issues are fixed and if there is a side effect.

Testing is easy and documented:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3148680/networking/easily-exploited-netgear-router-flaw-discove...

Read following:

"UPDATE: December 10, 2016 11PM ET. "

Here the POC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOZs90BGPFk&feature=youtu.be

Message 20 of 142
StephenB
Guru

@strubinsky wrote:

But it is beta, which is why we don't get them as easy as we wish since there might be side effects.

Netgear clearly wants to get the patches out there ASAP, and I'm told that releasing security patches as beta is the quickest path.

Message 21 of 142
strubinsky
Guide

The definition of 'Beta' software is that it has not been fully tested and is not guaranteed to be as error free as we consumers can and do expect. Beta is not ready for prime time yet or it would be called 'Production'.

There might be the case that a few 'crappy old' errors are replaced by 'shiny new' ones but after the regression test/fix cycle succeeded it goes prod. You don't give beta to an end-user because they don't care what it is: If it fails somewhere they start yelling 'bah humbug' and flock to their facebook. We are those who are aware of the potential that we might experience minor up to major side effects aka. it is NOT yet the final version and we will replace our betas to prd after it was released.

That is at least my humble opinion and I am sticking to it.

Message 22 of 142
StephenB
Guru

@strubinsky wrote:

That is at least my humble opinion and I am sticking to it.

It's certainly aligned with my understanding of "beta" too.  

But it is not unusual for Netgear to initially release security fixes as "beta".  There have been several ReadyNAS patches released that way over the years, and some didn't reach production for many months.  

Again, my understanding here is that making them "beta" allows Netgear internal processes to be bypassed, getting the fixes into the field more quickly.  It can get in the way for some business customers, who often have policies that don't allow deployment of beta software.

FWIW, I suspect full regression testing of the patches is probably one of things being skipped.  Though usually these fixes are very targeted, so side effects aren't that likely.

Message 23 of 142
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DrXtreme The firmware you received does not contain the security vulnerability fix. The latest firmware released on this site fixes that. 

Message 24 of 142
DrXtreme
Tutor

That is what I was afraid of ... That one fixes the security issue but breaks android connectivity (*android Kit Kat and newer) craaaawwwwwwwwllllls! ) and so even if I couldn't update QoS database I cannot use it as the droid based hardware is usless to all when its using 1.46.xxxx

Message 25 of 142
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7