R7500 Best settings for pairing with TV

mistikempire
Guide

R7500 Best settings for pairing with TV

Hello all

I have a Netgear r7500 nighthawk x4,   In a house with a Samsung HU7500 4K Smart TV, which is farely new.

My Issue: TV keeps dropping connection and other devices, such as laptops , when watching apps such as Youtube, where it would either disconnect/Buffer each 2/10 Minutes.

I am not experianced, so i would like to know is their certain settings which i could apply, which would help me in such a situation to..enable a better, stronger connection with my tv.

I Also do not feel like i am using this router to its max capabilities, an feel like the settings maybe can be adjusted for improvement.

Message 1 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

Re: R7500 Best settings for pairing with TV

I thought i might add the layout of my house if that helps? 

http://postimg.org/image/z3ykcx6wl/

Also the devices used in this house hold are:

• 2 x Smart Tv's (Both New, an does not have any problems, in which TV on 1st floor, has already been replaced, due to us thinking that was the problem.
  • 2 x Smart Phones
  • 2 x Ipads
  • 3 x Laptops

Again, problem is with the TV and laptop time to time, on the 1ST FLOOR

Message 2 of 17
PEHowland
Apprentice

Can you temporarily move the TV to the first floor and thus isolate whether this is signal strength issue, or a more fundamental compatibility issue?  If it works on the first floor, then you probably need to run a wired connection to the TV (or to another router in Access Point mode on that floor), move the router, or use something like a powerline networking device to extend your network downstairs.

Message 3 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

Hi Howland

Their is already a TV on the first floor, which is the Samsung.

The LG Oled on the 3rd floor is working fine with no signal drop.

The first floor Samsung and laptop does cut out, iv also tried powerline adaptors and did not really like them too much, as their was too much inconsistancy. 

Message 4 of 17
PEHowland
Apprentice

Sorry - confusion between British and American usage of "1st Floor"!   (What you call the 1st Floor is the Ground Floor in British English, and then the 1st Floor in British English is the 2nd FLoor in American English, etc).   Anyway, my point is, try the TV on the same floor as the router and see if it works.  If it does, then you just have a signal strength issue, which you can resolve by getting additional access points or range extenders on the floor with the TV.  Or possibly by simply moving the router to a different position (the antenna pattern of the router might be not optimum with your current set up).

Message 5 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

Ahh i see what you mean, sorry mate my mistake.
I will try what you said an see hopefully how it goes Smiley Happy hopefully will come to a conclusion of shat the problem is, or run an ethernet cable straight downstairs.

Other then that, is their like a page or thread which i havent found, that shows u the best settings for a netgear router?
Message 6 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

Do you think a wireless extender may also help, in this situation?

Message 7 of 17
JamesGL
Master

As suggested by PEHowland, you may try adding an extender for additional range of your wireless network.

Message 8 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

Just an update, the router had warranty so it will be taken back, i spoke to netgear an after a couple tests had said the router is faulty :/

So will be on the hunt for a new router, if anyone can recommend one?

Message 9 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Is it gonna be taken back to the store or to NETGEAR? If it will be replaced by NETGEAR, you will have the same model as replacement.

Message 10 of 17
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Not sure if this helps, but I have a 40" Samsung "Smart" TV for a temporary apartment, and I have to say I think this is the dumbest TV there is. If you ask me, it must have a processor equivalent in power to a commodore 64, it is so pathetic. Sometimes when I use the remote to adjust the volume, the TV takes 10 seconds to respond! After turning the TV on, trying to get into any streaming app gives the message "Preparing the TV, try again later". You have to wait upwards of 5 minutes before the TV is "prepared". Hell, my laptop boots (Windows) to the login screen in 5 seconds, and 10 seconds after login, is fully ready to function. You would think a dedicated TV OS should be ready to go within 30 econds after turning on.

The built-in streaming apps are worthless, frequently claiming there is no connection to the internet (there is nothing wrong with the connection), or there is insufficient bandwidth (speed tests on a laptop show it is getting what the service is supposed to 30 Mbps), the Hulu app will crash shortly into starting a show or program, and starts over. I recently found a web site forum (I will have to check the link, it is on my other computer) that echoes that Samsung TV's have significant problems like the one I see, showing a secret remote button sequence to get into a diagnostic mode to reset the TV back to factory defaults and restore all apps and settings as the usual solution when these problems show up, this seems to work for a while at least.

In this case, this is on Xfinity/Comcast using the Xfinity supplied router (I have no access to this router, it is supplied as part of the apartment). In order to watch streaming shows, I end up hooking up my laptop to the TV via HDMI and stream it that way, it doesn't have any trouble, but is less convenient.

I also recently bought a 65" LG OLED TV (expensive, but the picture is absolutely awesome, you have to see it to believe it) for my main house which employs an R7000 and my local podunk ISP that can only get 10 Mbps due to DSL distance from the CO (the only thing available), works flawlessly.

So basically I am saying that don't necessarily blame the router, but it could be the Samsung TV,

Message 11 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

Oh wow we couldn't of been more alike if we tried!

I also purchased a 4k LG oled and agree completely its amazing an something you have to see.
The lg has been good an the hu7500 series of samsung uses a quad core which is usually very good
Message 12 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

Its covered by square trade? Warranty people james, it was purchased for £220 but their only going to give me £160-170

So will need to pick a new router, which is doing my head in as i cant decide
Message 13 of 17
PEHowland
Apprentice

I also have an Asus RT-68U router, which is similar in specifications to the R7500, rock solid and fast.  I would recommend this.  It is roughly in your price bracket I think.

Message 14 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

Would that be okay for a house with 3 floors? As coverage would be the most important key for me, i dont mind paying extra and getting the one up from that, which is the ASUS RT-AC87U if that is any better mate?

Message 15 of 17
PEHowland
Apprentice

No one can answer that with authority.  All depends on the power of the router, the beamforming, location of the devices, location of the router, size of house, construction material, etc.   The more you spend, the better the antennas and router power tend to be, but I can't comment between the two models.  Do your research.  But if signal strength is marginal you'd be better off buying range extenders.  Remember connection speed falls with signal power, by design.

Message 16 of 17
mistikempire
Guide

I think the more research i do, the more uncertain i get lol 

As i always have a router in mind, then i go to read the forums and reviews on one site and they turn out to be good, i then for a peace of mind go onto another site, an it tells me the complete oppasite, reccomending another product LOL, so this time i end up comparing my chosen product to theirs, to only then come up with anooother product....back to square 1.

Im always like this, i set myself a budget of £100, then end up spending £230

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements