Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7500 capped at 100Mbps

ChinnChopper
Aspirant

R7500 capped at 100Mbps

So I have already seen the thread about a R7500 being capped and the issue was the ethernet cable. Well I've gone through the basic step both cables from modem to router and to PC are cat6. Yet it is still capped at 100Mbps. Statistics show WAN:1000M/Full, LAN 1: 1000M/Full and LAN 2: 10M/Full. To be noted I removed LAN 2 cable and it didnt help either. I get full speed of my 400Mbps straight through the modem. I wouldnt say Im a beginner at troubleshooting but this is over my head. So any help and good instuction I would appreciate it. 

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ChinnChopper
Aspirant

Well I seem to have solved this myself for the time being. Turning off Dynamic QOS seemed to do the trick. How can something helpful not help at all? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
ChinnChopper
Aspirant

Well I seem to have solved this myself for the time being. Turning off Dynamic QOS seemed to do the trick. How can something helpful not help at all? 

Message 2 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have already seen the thread [...]

Thanks for the helpful link to that thread.

> [...] Statistics show [...]

Where did you find these data?

> [...] LAN 2: 10M/Full. [...]

What's connected to the LAN 2 port?

> [...] I get full speed of my 400Mbps straight through the modem. [...]

And your actual complaint is what, exactly?

Message 3 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] How can something helpful not help at all?

It's intended for use with slower Internet service.  Enabling it
forces the router to think about the data which it's handling, and, with
fast service, it can't think fast enough to keep up.

Message 4 of 8
ChinnChopper
Aspirant

1. There are plenty of thread with exactly the same name as the one I posted. All of which were due to changing to cat 6 cord.

2. What do you mean where did I find that data. Anyone with half a mind know how to check all of there LAN ports speeds. Seeing how you didnt know what I was talking about leads me to believe you would have not been any help at all,

3. LAN 2 is my security system. All I was doing was process of elimination.

4. My complaint was I couldnt get speed through my router but i was able to through the modem. As I stated above you obviously wouldnt have been any help as you cannot do simple comprehension to my issue that I have already solved due to a stupid netgear mechanic.

5. Next you post something on someones thread try being helpful instead of a condensending **bleep**.

Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@ChinnChopper, I would get so upset. Usually 'we', end-users like you, ask because we don't know what you did or saw? It helps to ALWAYS tell WHAT you DID and WHAT was the RESULTS. It isn't our job to guess?

Why do you think "So I have already seen the thread about a R7500 being capped and the issue was the ethernet cable. Well I've gone through the basic step both cables from modem to router and to PC are cat6. " describe what you did and how? Why should 'we' have to go search for something? Matter of fact, using "R7500 speed being capped" and doing a search and selecting Community only yielded 48 results! See for yourself, https://www.netgear.com/search-support.aspx?&q=R7500%20speed%20being%20capped.

As for how you got the data, I'm sure we all know one way, but you never said how you did it? Just like there was no way to tell that LAN 2 was your security system. By the way, LAN 1 only knows how it was connected, to a 1Gbps device, but that doesn't mean it is capable of 1Gbps nor even your ISP speed. Devices in the settings can limit speed of the device even.

There are many reason why you can get ISP speed via connection to the modem, but when connected to the router you can't. Usually the modem and router must be brought up (powered) modem first then router. Just plugging the router into a modem that had another device connected without powering it off keeps the MAC address of that device in memory and when a new device (router in this case) is connected it doesn't always work or work well.

Not sure who "I have already solved due to a stupid netgear mechanic." is even?

I guess I can be as obtuse as you were when you asked "Turning off Dynamic QOS seemed to do the trick. How can something helpful not help at all? ". The answer is covered in many threads/subject here... same way you told 'us' what you did. Do you think that was any help?

Just trying to show you how sometimes real data/info is required.

The answer is that QoS is meant for low speed saturated Internet speed and it allocates (dynamically) more throughput to specific 'time sensitive' task such as streaming and game play and giving less throughput to things like e-mail and browsing to name a few. If you ISP speed is over 200 - 300Mbps QoS is detrimental to Internet option and should be turned off, as is Traffic Meter and possibly other features that slow down the Internet. Some you may want/need but then it is a trade-off for you to make.

Message 6 of 8
ChinnChopper
Aspirant

I appreciate your reply with what i actually did wrong. Im not used to posting on forums at all. I would've contacted netgear directly but you have to pay for customer service. As for the other user to me he came off as rude and well you know how the internet is at least i hope you do, hence my response.
Message 7 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@ChinnChopper, don't feel too bad, others do the same thing as far as describing the problem.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-x6-ac3200-won-t-update-by-app/td-p...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-Keeps-Dropping-the-5G-Connection-Rando...

When you see a lot of these, one can get a little 'testy' when asking for information, and in many cases, you still don't get a lot. Notice all the '0' replies today? Sometimes the 'regulars' here just don't bother.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7