Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7500 fails to boot after Firmware update from NetGear Genie

erwinb
Aspirant

R7500 fails to boot after Firmware update from NetGear Genie

After upgrading the firmware with NetGenie, the router failed to come up again. It was no longer possible to connect locally to routerlogin.net. I then tried the reset button for 10 seconds but see no change in the status of the leds. 

I downloaded the tftp tool as explained in the KB and tried to upload the firmware file R7500-V1.0.0.118.img immediately after power on/power off (power led is now orange). A ping to router IP address 192.168.1.1 succeeds, but the TFTP tool fails to connect to the router "Cannot access server". After 3 unseccessful trial, the process stops. The power led now is blinking white. 

The router is no longer under warranty. Before upgrading the firmware with Netgear Genie the router was functioning correctly. Therefor I do not suspect a hardware problem. Can anyone give me a clue what to do next?

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
erwinb
Aspirant

Fandrem, I may have good news for you. I found a link on the community website that explains why I failed to replace the firmware. In summary it is no good downloading the tftp2 client from the web as explained in the technote by Netgear. Instead, use the one that comes with Windows. After I did that, the firmware img file uploaded in a matter of seconds. This solved my problem. I am including the link to the post that instructed me about this. Please also mind the typo in the command line in the article. I am including the correct url and command line and wish you good luck.  

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-...

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
fandrem
Aspirant

Experienced the same trouble today, as you describe. The router failed to restart after firmware update. No response in use of the reset button, just flashing power-led. 😞

The router (R7000, Nighthawk AC1900) worked excellent before my update attempt.

I guess this is a major problem with the latest update...............

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
erwinb
Aspirant

Fandrem, I may have good news for you. I found a link on the community website that explains why I failed to replace the firmware. In summary it is no good downloading the tftp2 client from the web as explained in the technote by Netgear. Instead, use the one that comes with Windows. After I did that, the firmware img file uploaded in a matter of seconds. This solved my problem. I am including the link to the post that instructed me about this. Please also mind the typo in the command line in the article. I am including the correct url and command line and wish you good luck.  

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-...

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware-file-name

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7