Highlighted

R7500 loses internet connection constantly

I have the following setup:

• Arris TM822G cable modem
  • Netgear R7500v2 router - v1.0.0.28 firmware
  • iMac (2015) connected via ethernet to the router
  • Multiple other devices connected via wireless

I am having terrible connectivity problems between the cable modem and the router.  From my iMac (connected via ethernet), sometimes it works for 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes hours, with no problems.  Then, something happens and the modem and router stop talking properly.  If I reset the modem or router, things work again for a little bit, but then run into the same issue where nothing can connect to the internet.

While the problem is occurring, I see the following:

• connectivity within my house works fine - everything can see everything else.
  • connectivity to the internet stops for all devices - both wired and wireless.  Web pages won't load.  Pings don't work, packets are dropped, etc.

One thing I have also noticed is that if I simply unplug the yellow ethernet cable from the modem and plug it back in, it resets things, and they work again for a bit.  Similar result if I hit the "Test" button on the "Internet" page of the Netgear router page.  That seems to tickle something, and the modem and router talk again, and it works for a bit longer, but ultimately it hits the problem again.

I have tried connecting directly to the modem, and it's fine -- 11000 successful pings with no issues.

I have switched out to a new cable modem - same behavior.

I have switched all the network cables out - same behavior.

I have had the cable provider to my house 3 times in the past month, and they can't see anything wrong from their side--yet, they do see the bad behavior.

I've tried moving the modem and router farther away from eachother physically in case there is some sort of interference - same behavior.

On top of this, it has also happened with multiple routers!  I've tried an R7500 (6 months old) and an R7500v2 (brand new) and had the same exact result.  This would make me think it might be the cable side of things--but that's all brand new equipment too.

I have gone as far as getting network traces from when the problem is occurring to me pulling out the ethernet cable (or running "test").  I'm not a network packet guru, so I've yet to see a silver bullet in those traces.

Would love to hear other thoughts on what to try here.  I'm reluctant to try another router since I'm not sure if it's the router or modem.  But I could definitely use some good ideas about what else to try as I am running out of things to think of.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R7500 loses internet connection constantly

Try cloning the MAC address of your computer onto the router's Internet port.  Then reboot the modem and router.

Message 2 of 15
Highlighted

I had previously tried the "Use Computer MAC Address" option, but that did not make any difference.

I just set the "Use This MAC Address" option and put in the Mac address of the ethernet card and rebooted the modem and the router.  This seemed to work for a bit (e.g. 3000 pings or so), then got into a bad state again.  I tried the same test multiple times, and it worked for some amount of time, then failed again.  So, it might have lasted longer than before, but definitely not as stable as it should be.

Also, previously, I tried connecting the MAC via WiFi so that there were no ethernet connections, and that didn't work either (i.e. experienced the same connection issues).

Message 3 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Any luck with this? 

I just bought this router because my old one died.  Performance looks pretty good but I am seeing odd spotty connectivity with my laptop (Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230, 2.4GHz).

Message 4 of 15
Highlighted

Nope, no luck yet.  I haven't seen internal connectivity issues (e.g. WiFi has been solid).  It's the connection between the router and the modem that continues to be a problem.

I'll ask again -- are there any additional diagnostics/logs that can be enabled to get a better idea of what is going on?

Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yesterday I experienced exactly the same issue as You have done; the internet connection goes down after some minutes. To fix it I had to press the "Test" button of the "Internet" tab at the router's web site but the internet connection kept going down after some minutes.

Acouple of hours later I found out that every time the internet connection went down, Outlook was synchronizing mails through IMAP. I closed Outlook and all of a sudden the internet connection kept stable. Today I restarted my computer and now I am able to synchronize mails through IMAP with Outlook and the internet connection keeps stable.

Message 6 of 15
Highlighted

Hmmm. That particular solution hasn't worked for me. I have been having the issue for weeks. And have tried multiple different computers running different operating systems running on wireless and wifi and have the same behavior.
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Today I have the same issue again, with no Outlook running Smiley Sad. I have placed a support ticket at my.netgear.com, there must be something wrong with my R7500

Message 8 of 15
Highlighted

Just upgraded to new firmware of V1.0.2.2.

Overall, it behaves a bit differently than the previous version, but did not solve my intermittent internet connectivity issue.
Message 9 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with R7500v2. I updated the firmware to 1.0.2.2 but still not working.

I had a Netgear wndr4500 and never had this problem. 

Message 10 of 15
Highlighted

A few updates here:

• I did a test with plugging my computer directly into my cable modem and got <1% packet loss with >20,000 pings done
  • I then plugged the computer directly into the R7500 (via ethernet) and did a similar test and got anywhere from 15-30% packet loss after the router would get into a bad state.  This same behavior happens all the time.  Daily and easy to reproduce.

A few things I've noticed:

• Clicking on the "test" button does seem to reset it.  And I also noticed that the behavior of it in 1.0.2.2 is different than the previous firmware, so something was tweaked there.
  • I've also seen that unplugging and plugging the ethernet cable from the back of the router or modem has a similar effect to running the "test" button.  It seems to re-sync things for a bit (until it goes bad again).  Clearly, not a sustainable path since for me, I need to do that >10 times a day to keep a solid connection.

Message 11 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat here - after a remarkably similar series of tests, it sounds like it I have the exact same issue with the same model router. Have stopped short of a full reset and reconfiguration but that's my next move. After that I might TCP dump for a while until i get my new replacement router, just to see if I can sort this out. The new router is not going to be another one of these.
Message 12 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

One other thing I noticed is that the latency gets pretty squirrely right before the router cuts out. If you're running pings or using mtr or smokeping you can see things going south for about 30 seconds before connection to the modem is lost. For me it's easily reproducible, especially since my router disconnects in about 10 minutes each time.
Message 13 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi all,

Some new experience on my end here with my nighthawk x4 router -

I did a factory reset and brought everything back up gradually. I have 3 wired devices, ~15 wireless devices (3 laptops, sonos speakers, roku, 2 phones, printer), + ~3 bridged VMs. Everything came up and worked fine, adding in one device at a time. Everything ran perfectly for a about a week, no trouble at all.

I run smokeping in a VM to keep stats on all the devices and external sites. Continuous LAN and WAN the whole time.

After about a week I realized I hadn't added in my wife's Android phone. Once I added this one phone, I lost internet. So I disconnected the phone, unplugged and replugged the cable modem and things were back to normal. Added the phone again - goes down. Tried this excercise adding in my android phone - same make and model - all good. Added in a new mac laptop, fine. It seems each time I add this specific phone, I lose my internet. It's pretty weird.

Next move to is reserve an IP for this phone to see if somehow this phone is locking up DHCP.

Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
Initiate

Hey guys, I just changed my MTU Size to (1400) and it's been working for a week now. Which is weird but I nonlonger have to reset every hour. Idk if this helps.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements