Re: R7500 new firmware 1.00.82

doc_octopus
Aspirant

R7500 new firmware 1.00.82

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/r7500/ww/

Bug Fixes
•Fixes the Japanese wireless DFS channel display issue for the weather channel on the web management page.

Known issues & bugs & Limitation
•With regards to Apple's Time Machine backup function, Nighthawk X4 R7500 Router only supports NTFS, EXT4, EXT3, EXT2, HFS+ in Journal, HFS+ in non-journal file system. R7500 does not support FAT16, FAT32 file format for Apple Time machine backup at the moment.
•R7500 support maximum backup file size up to 500GByte now.

Message 1 of 36
doc_octopus
Aspirant

update: removed from ftp
Message 2 of 36
ChairmanMeow
Novice

still available via the firmware update section on the router
Message 3 of 36
PickMe4Beta
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 4 of 36
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
Updated. Refreshing web pages seems little faster now.
Message 5 of 36
doc_octopus
Aspirant

connection problems between lumia 930 and R7500 on the 2.4 GHz frequency: once you disconnect, reconnect to the wifi network to be forced turning off and on, on the wireless phone.
Message 6 of 36
marekop
Novice

This firmware (1.00.82) is unstable. I had problems with network disconnections every few minutes on wireless 5G, 2G (wireless signal is stable but no internet connection). Finally I revert back to 1.00.76 firmware and problem was fixed. Seems QOS is broken. I don't understand why Netgear is not releasing any bug fixes so long time compared to Asus firmware. It's very annoying and is forcing me to go with Asus next time.
Message 7 of 36
Puffnstuff
Guide

1.0.0.76 works well for me and doesn't drop my wireless clients like 1.0.0.82 did. The lack of updated firmware for this router makes me question netgear's commitment to their current product line which will come into view when it's time to replace it.
Message 8 of 36
marcoschaap
Novice

I'm also questioning the lack of support for this router. Although I don't have any major problems with the current firmware I'd expected some firmware updates long time ago. Also the lack of information about current development is a bit dissapointing.

I would suggest the current issues with some Intel Wireless adapters as well as Apple hardware should be fixed asap. Also for a € 200 router I'd expected far more from the web interface / manageability. The web interface is slow in my opinion. Managing the basics of the device is somehow confusing due to the menu layout.

Also (and Netgear propably can't do a thing about this), the support for open standards firmware is hopelessly outdated. The current version of the OpenWRT firmware is almost older than my dad, and I'd love to see some newer version of OpenWRT being supported.

To be clear, I'm not here to rant or insult, I just think this router is FULL of potential but just misses some key functions that I would love see.

Please Netgear, keep us informed!
Message 9 of 36
JoBa
Onlooker

I agree with marcoschaap. Please fix the R7500's 5 GHz issue. My Mid 2012 MacBook Pro, cannot use the 5 GHz band on this router with the most current firmware.

My MBP can use the R7000's 5 GHz band without issue. Because the R7000 works and the R7500 does not, I am going to assume the issue lies with the R7500.

Josh
Message 10 of 36
doc_octopus
Aspirant

Have tried to disable beamforming?
Message 11 of 36
JoBa
Onlooker

"Have tried to disable beamforming?"

No I will give it a shot tomorrow when I am connected to the router and see if it helps. I tried configuring the QoS with no luck. So maybe beamforming is the culprit?

Josh
Message 12 of 36
JoBa
Onlooker

I disabled beamforming and 5G still does not work. I at this point my MBP will just use 2.4G.
Message 13 of 36
slompochomp
Guide

oddly enough I have been getting the opposite. My 2.4ghz has been dropping with the 2.4 light on the router still showing it was up but nothing could connect to it nor would it show up on the available wireless networks. I was able to resolve this by holding the wireless button on the router to turn it off and wait a few and then turn it back on. This has happened a few times now. I pretty much have every option disabled on this router sadly. No point in having a router with options if they are just being disabled to have a stable router otherwise we might as well just use a hub. Please fix the issues.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!
Message 14 of 36
marekop
Novice

I have to set speed limit for my both wireless network (2.4G and 5G) to 289Mbps for 2.4G and 347Mbps for 5G. Now the router is working stable and no any connection issues for me.
Message 15 of 36
Beyond
Aspirant

Sadly i tried the throttle the max speeds of both bands , and they both are a little more stable....

so i paid 300 USD for router that i cant use at fully speed...
Message 16 of 36
Puffnstuff
Guide

1.0.0.76 works the best for me and I don't have bandwidth issues with it like I did with 1.0.0.82.
Message 17 of 36
ChairmanMeow
Novice

mediocre hardware backed by rubbish firmware

wasn't worth "upgrading" from a R7000
Message 18 of 36
marekop
Novice

Guys I have a good solution for Netgear poor and outdated firmware. The solution is Asus rt-87u. Netgear engineers they should learn how to build full featured firmware and how to maintenance that firmware (new revision/bug fixes almost every month).
Message 19 of 36
Killhippie
Prodigy

Any router that gets new firmware updates monthly has bugs, and the AC87U is full of them, at this time beamforming does not work with it properly and is swithded off by default, and thats after what 8 months of being released (there abouts) Go to smallnetbuilders/Amazon.com and see the issues people have with that router, it has two operating systems and is far to complex trying to get Quantenna and Broadcom to play nicely together, rather like the R7500. The AC87U is buggy and was much worse, its still not great. It runs really hot it has 5Ghz issues and is worth avoiding as you get no gains from it as there are no AC2400 clients out there let alone Mu-Mimo ones. A router should not need monthly bug fixes...
Message 20 of 36
marekop
Novice

Dear Killhippie:
I have r7500 and rt87ac as well. You wrote "Any router that gets new firmware updates monthly has bugs", this is absolutely not truth. Just let compare what rt-87ac has and is missing in r7500:
-----------------------------------------------
HW acceleration,
Antivirus/malware protection build into router,
Web site protection (protecting against sites containing malware),
Thor project (Merlin firmware),
AD's blocking (Merlin firmware),
PPTP VPN connection,
3 guest networks for each 2.4G and 5G,
more detail in router monitoring options,
2.4G beamforming,
-----------------------------------------------
In terms on router temperature that's true - rt-87AC is more hot than r7500 but it's not a problem for router stability. Also wireless connection on both 2.4G and 5G are more stable in rt-87AC then r7500.
So basically speaking ASUS firmware is way way more interesting and usable. Only one think r7500 has better: QOS.
Montly firmware updates are not only for bug fixes, but also for new router features.
Message 21 of 36
Killhippie
Prodigy

The R7000 from what I know uses hardware acceleration in NAT as does the R7500 I believe. I do like the anti malware of the AC87U but that's been put onto the AC68U which is a better router all round. I have ad blocking in my browser where it should belong not using CPU cycles of my router, I don't need three guest networks, two is fine. the R7000 unlike the R7500 has beamforming on 2.4Ghz the AC87U has beamforming turned off by default in the latest few firmware updates because its buggy as hell. Even Netgear can manage that.The AC87U is one of the most complained about routers out there, more complex does not make for a better router, Also it would have helped if Quantenna had told everyone the CPU temps before manufacture! Most of the Asus updates are bug fixes not new features, and after 8 months or so now they still have not got that router working properly over 5Ghz, and why anyone wants a R7500 or AC87U when you cant use 4x4 spatial streams or Mu-Mimo and it doesn't really improve wifi range is beyond me.

Sweetspot is AC1900 at this time, and there are still not that many 3x3 spatial stream clients. AC1250 are good buys and cheaper tbh. Seems like you got hooked by the numbers and aerials ploy to part with more cash than you needed. An AC68U would have done just fine and a lot cheaper too or the R7000 which currently out sells the Asus routers so Netgear is doing something right. The AC87U is more a hobbiest nightmare. Also the older R7000 has a faster Wan to lan throughput than the AC87U which gets 787.1Mbps The R7500 is only 749.7Mbps yet the old R7000 is 931.4Mbps. I know what I prefer, simple but works over weekly updates to patch a QT Broadcom Frankenstein monster.
Message 22 of 36
marekop
Novice

I wouldn't to keep this treat on going, because it doesn't make sense. Finally You acknowledged that Netgear engineers they have a lot to do. I have rt-87ac and is working well with all bells and whistles turned on and processor load not exceeding 2-5% per core. I bought r7500 because of extremely hardware features 2x1.4GHz Qualcomm Krait processor, 2xUSB 3.0ports with e-sata. But this hardware is not supported by equal firmware quality. Instead to keep this useless discussion (cons/pro) let to know Netgear that their product needs upgrades ASAP.
Message 23 of 36
Richard1864
Luminary

Just a couple quick comments: There is no such thing as bug-free firmware or software. Never has been, never will be. Quantenna's chipsets are known to have major overheat issues that cannot be fixed via firmware updates; they have a new 802.11ac Wave 2 chipset due out in August 2015 which should help alleviate this issue. I used the RT-AC87U for several months, went through 4 of them due to the Quantenna chipset overheating and frying the circuit board over the last 9 months. I have spoken about this at great length with Quantenna, and they have confirmed that their radio and chipset overheating is the cause. This overheat issue is a major problem for Asus, Netgear, and other networking companies that they have no control over.
Message 24 of 36
alexthefool
Aspirant

interesting discussion, I was choosing my router among r7500 and 87U and I brought r7500.

Dont complaint the uselessness of the bandwidth, I brought r7500 because of its CPU, layout of USB 3 (at the sides instead of the back), thru put rate......all these hardcore data. Who cares the extra and useless WIFI...

BUT I wonder if I need to regret...the firmware just is not driving the router right. Just like I am driving a Ferrari...if r7500 is ever comparable to a Ferrari.

I have heard of the problems of 87U but hey~ make your own product to work faultlessly is your duty, NetGear. :mad:

Let us have our FW please! we have waited for too long.....

Any planed release date??????
Message 25 of 36
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E