Re: R7500 new firmware 1.00.82

Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A release is planned, but may be several weeks away (not several months). I believe it will add new functionality, but can’t say what bug fixes will be included at that time, we will all have to wait and see.
Killhippie
Prodigy

You had an AC87U which is buggy, and does not even have beamforming working, then you buy a R7500 based on the Speed of the CPU! This is a manufacture ploy and a numbers games, you think that faster CPU's mean faster routers but that is not always the case go look at smallnetbuilders router ranker http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view Out of the gate the R7500 was slow with a GUI that lagged and the router suffered frequent disconnections, many reviews picked up on that. The RT-AC87U is a nightmare even though its getting better but I don't think will ever be fixed by the limitation of the QT SoC which runs to hot, and as has been mentioned QT's newer wave 2 chipsets will help future products run cooler and have more stability hopefully. Quantenna did not tell Asus/Netgear the CPU temps till a few months back so both manufacturers did not have a lot to work with, but the R7500 runs cooler, so that's one good thing and something Asus got badly wrong in the AC87U, in fact quite a few users of that router use fans to cool it from underneath.

Netgear make routers that are powerful but simple to use for those that don't want to sit all day playing with settings, Asus like to give every option under the sun, each company has its own path for a different user base I guess although a few more settings and a GUI update would not harm netgear at all. As to the fact you bought two very expensive routers that have no real clients and no current radios in laptops TV's phones etc which can benefit from MU-MIMO etc baffles me but each to their own.

It will be interesting to see the new QT chips and Broadcom's new ones as and how they perform in the second round of Wave 2 kit, but until there is hardware at the other end that works with things like NitroQAM and MU-MIMO then there is no point buying them and its better to wait and see how it all pans out when its switched on and clients appear that support the hardware. Also routers cant really be future proofed, the tech changes so fast and since some of it is proprietary it may never get put into the smartphones and tablets and laptops we use. As I said if you buy for the numbers on the box you are getting burned by companies trying to get new products to market first, and advertising them with silly labels like AC5300 to make people thing they will get better coverage or speeds which at this time with the hardware they are using they probably will not. As for this discussion, I see research and knowing what you are buying, and why you are buying it as far from useless, it educates you as to what you need and why you need it, this saves wasting money in the long run until the technology has matured and you can actually use what you have bought.
Message 27 of 36
dmon65
Aspirant

So, I had two of the glitchy R7000s before trading off to a Linksys WRT AC1900. I was interested in some of the features of the R7500, and finding one on sale, thought I'd jump in again.

I'm not that smart.

Just wondering if ANYONE has had luck with the latest firmware? 1.00.82. I upgraded straight to it, once the box was in place, hard reset then configured everything manually. I haven't noticed any reboots or slowdowns yet, but am wondering if I wouldn't just spare myself some family grousing by retrograding now.

Any success stories?
Message 28 of 36
Puffnstuff
Guide

1.0.0.76 has worked the best for me so that is where I'm staying at. 82 caused my internet to stutter on a regular basis.
Message 29 of 36
marcoschaap
Novice

dmon65, Actually I'm having no problems at all with the 1.00.82 firmware. 5 devices connected Wireless (mix of 2.4 / 5 Ghz) couple of cabled devices. Got a 2 TB USB 3.0 Harddisk connected (NTFS). Wireless troughput in my opinion is amazing. Copy to harddisk ~ 350 Mbit/s, copy from harddisk ~ 460 Mbit/s, this in combination with my Asus G75VW with Intel 7260 Dual Band AC module. My Internet connection has a speed of 200 / 20 Mbit/s, and rock steady in combination with this router. No reboots or hard resets needed whatsoever. Wireless Devices: Asus G75VW (5Ghz) LG Nexus 5 (5Ghz) Asus VivoBook X202e (2.4Ghz) HTC One X+ (2.4Ghz) Asus MemoPad 10 (2.4Ghz) Hope this helps! Smiley Happy
Message 30 of 36
dmon65
Aspirant

marcoschaap and Puffnstuff (love the name), thanks for the quick feedback! So far, I haven't seen anything odd with the .82 firmware but I'm keeping an eye out for issues.

Fairly sure my family will let me know when the slightest hiccup happens...
Message 31 of 36
lablett
Aspirant

I received my R7500 about a week ago and it had an old firmware so I went straight to 1.00.82. I have noticed, and this is subjective, that the router interface seems to slow down. Also I am having problems with plex streaming so I have installed V1.0.0.76 today. The GUI does seem to respond better so I'm going to see what happens on this forum before I jump to the latest firmware. I also wanted to keep my router cool, as there were some stories about heat issues, so I bought these fans :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
Message 32 of 36
Puffnstuff
Guide

I ended up going back to 1.0.0.82 which cleared up some other issues while gaming.
Message 33 of 36
lablett
Aspirant

Puffnstuff wrote:
I ended up going back to 1.0.0.82 which cleared up some other issues while gaming.

Where were you before ?
Message 34 of 36
POCHOCLO
Novice

Puffnstuff wrote:

I lag when someone watches youtube in a mobile phone while I play an online game.

Does this happen to anyone?
Message 35 of 36
Puffnstuff
Guide

lablett wrote:
Where were you before ?

I was using 1.0.0.76 because I was having weird issues with disconnects with my intel centrino ultimate n6300 on my laptop which I've since upgraded to an intel 7260ac. I started having other issues and ended up going back to 82 and it seems fine so far. I'm wondering if the first time I flashed if something didn't go right which was causing my problems. Nevertheless it seems to be working fine at the moment, no issues with streaming youtube or netflix.
Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E