Re: R7500 new firmware update seems available V1.0.0.92

VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
Anyone using 2.4GHz band guest network? Working OK?
Message 26 of 88
dinglehoser
Initiate

I'm also having some of the same problems mentioned previously. 5GHz wifi stops working after a while - devices get dropped after a few hours and can't reconnect until the router is power cycled. Yes, I did reset all settings in the software as well as via the hardware button.

When it does work, it works slowly. I have a 1Gb FTTP connection, and with the previous firmware, my Asus PCE-AC68 used to connect at 1066-1300Mbps and would yield actual throughput of about 750Mbps both up and down (channel 147, about 20 feet away and directly upstairs from the router). I'd get about 80MB/s to and from my NAS. With .92, I can still connect at 1066-1300Mbps, but real throughput is down to 100Mbps and I'm lucky if I get 12MB/s from the NAS.

The previous firmware (.86 I think) had an issue where the wifi connection would degrade slowly over a few days, necessitating a reboot. I've had this router for 7 months and it's never worked 100% right. Thinking about ditching it and getting something else ...
Message 27 of 88
racingmatt73
Aspirant

Tekneek, I'm having the same issue with my hp 7520 and I'm on the .92,firmware. How did you downgrade the firmware. Also have you noticed any advantages/disadvantages with both the .82 firmware and the new .92 firmware?
Message 28 of 88
McRit
Aspirant

Re: R7500 new firmware update available V1.0.0.92

I after installing Firmware V1.0.0.92 my hp pc and hp printer can't connect to the router. Every device I own can connect to this router except those device I mention. I went back to .82, both hp pc and hp printer device connect instantly. I did not manually install the firmware instead use the auto update check button to install.
Message 29 of 88
aeschylus
Initiate

this is why I have given up, constant problems, and you know what, I just walked into town bought a Tp-Link C9, booted it up, all devices connected, for the last 5 hours, not one drop out, range is just as good (if not a little better) the only ass was figuring out their media sharing....

The Netgear should in theory be a much better router, but after hours and hours of disconnects, dropping signals, lock ups etc etc, I have had enough....

I am well aware that now on SNB they say the r7000 is excellent but that is 2 years old, should we really have to wait 2 years for a router to work as advertised!
Message 30 of 88
McRit
Aspirant

racingmatt73, 1. Go here and find the firmware version you want to install. http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/ 2. follow this instruction: Upgrading your Router's Firmware Manually http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDMzNDI5MzYyL3NpZC9WT0V0...
Message 31 of 88
Tekneek
Aspirant

That is how you do it! You guys having problems with HP printers, please let Netgear support know and let them take you through some troubleshooting steps (I can safely say it won't matter much, but it helps them justify the eventual escalation internally). The more of these that get logged, the more likely we are to get a resolution. I went back and forth between 1.0.0.92 and 1.0.0.82. With 1.0.0.92, the only way to get the printer to connect is using open wifi (no security) or WEP. Needless to say, I'm not interested in either of those from a security standpoint. I'm awaiting a phone conversation with the 2nd tier of support. Pretty clear that something has changed between the two versions that is causing a problem for HP devices.
Message 32 of 88
trueshot
Aspirant

Tekneek, I assumed it was due to my settings being on WPA2 only. Changing to WPA/WPA2 had no effect, and now it does seem like a bug with legacy wireless compatibility. Thankfully, I have an extender so it's not a showstopper. Definitely more good than bad in this update, and I hope they can patch this printer stuff soon.
Message 33 of 88
Puffnstuff
Guide

Since moving to 92 my samsung galaxy note 2 keeps getting disconnected from 5gh on a regular basis. If this keeps up I'm rolling back to 82.
Message 34 of 88
firekuv
Aspirant

I'm so dissapointed, i was specting a pretty much solid firmware upgrade but it seems its like a 'downgrade'. I have 300mbps ISP with the 5ghz wifi i got the 300mbps the only excuses that i have but i didn't care that much it was that i have from time to time disconnections droped wifi trough 5ghz band but since i updated the firmware to the .92 . Now the best speed that i can get it is only 70mbps!! when i'm paying for 300mbps!!! i tested with the wire ethernet and i still have my 300mbps so it's a problem of the firmware upgrade. The 2,4ghz i had 130mbps now i have only 24mbps!!! i'm like wtf??

Does anybody knows how can i get back to the .82???
Message 35 of 88
rpram
Aspirant

Ok I purchased my R7500 this week. It arrived and I installed. I had purchased a 4TB Seagate drive for MAC. I could not mount the drive because it was over 3TB, everything else worked including my HP printer. So Tuesday night I discover the new firmware and voila I can mount the 4TB drive but wait I cannot connect my HP printer. What a week.
So I start a Chat with Netgear Support and this is how it goes. Thanks a lot Netgear:

Glendill: Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.
Glendill: My name is Glendill with Expert ID 46303. How may I assist you today?
Ric: I installed the latest firmware version 1.0.0.92 for the R7500 and I cannot connect my HP printer (HP 8500A Plus) to the wireless. On the forums others have had the same problem today. Is there a solution to the problem. Worked fine with previous firmware.
Glendill: As I understand, your printer is not working after updating the firmware. Is that correct?
Rich: Yes
Glendill: In case we lose connection please do not close your chat window, wait for two minutes for your Internet connection to be restored. In case the chat session is completely disconnected, please request a new session and reference your Customer ID ____ I apologize in advance for any inconvenience.
Glendill: I will be glad to assist you today, before we proceed, Richard, I see that you already have a phone number and email on file, may I have you verify your ZIP Code and place where the router was purchase please?
Richard Ramos: _____
Glendill: Thank you.
Glendill: Please be informed that your R7500 has 90 days of Support Warranty and 1 year of Hardware Warranty from the date of purchase, which was on June 1, 2015.
Glendill: Going back to your case, may I know what is the error when you connect the printer?
Rich: I cannot connect the printer. The SSID of the router appears but when I enter the passphrase for security it fails. This is the same as what is happening to many others discussing this on the forum on the Netgear website regarding the firmware 1.0.0.92 new version
Glendill: I see. Will it say incorrect?
Rich: Not sure what you mean, but the authentication fails. The proper passphrase is always entered. I did not know about the firmware bug until the last hour after trying last night and today. I now realize Netgear has to figure something out quick and give us a fix.
Glendill: Okay.
Glendill: We are going to isolate the case by loading the previous and check if the printer connects.
Glendill: Are you using the same wireless name and password after loading the new firmware?
Rich: I am positive the old firmware was fine.
Rich: If I go backward then I have to reload the had drive I bought yesterday to take advantage of the new firmware allowing over 3TB drives to work. Printer was fine yesterday
Glendill: I understand however we need to load old firmware again to have a basis for this case.

Are you using the same wireless name and password after loading the new firmware?
Rich: Yes
Glendill: Thank you.
Glendill: Did you reset the router after loading the new firmware?
Rich: I will choose to end the chat because I do not want to go through that hassle again. Since I just bought the router and I need to get things working I will likely go to the store now (only open for 50 more minutes and buy another brand router and return this one. So I will sign off now.
Message 36 of 88
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Reverting back to old firmware needs to do it manually. You may check this article on how to load the firmware manually.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960
Message 37 of 88
sneekez
Guide

I had no problem reflashing it with the .82 firmware, ymmv...download from "downloads" at the top of this web page. It solved my problems which almost duplicate yours. hth
Message 38 of 88
xellnollum
Aspirant

I updated to this new firmware package and now my router seems to be defaulting its information. So far three times since I installed this firmware, my 7500 has reset to default information including forgetting my LAN IP addressing, Wireless settings, even my login information is getting reset and when I attempt to connect t o the device it shows me the Welcome to Netgear product screens like it's new out of the box.
Message 39 of 88
CaptainmiFFo
Aspirant

Now my 5ghz is totally useless. cant connect at all.
Message 40 of 88
Lars2104
Aspirant

Same here...no longer connections via 5Ghz. It's a mesh here...now i can go back to 1.0.0.82...support could also not help. Smiley Sad

I can no longer recommend this product. I think i need to take the consequences
Message 41 of 88
rpram
Aspirant

That was my conclusion (although I have not been able to get to a store to buy a new non-Netgear router yet).

I bought mine on Monday and the fW update came the next day. So in summary, the new firmware created the following:
-HP printers cannot connect properly
-5Ghz is inconsistent

For me going back is not an option as my backup drive is over 3TB Mac version and needs the 1.0.0.92 FW to mount and I do not want to go through a drive partitioning as I am a novice.
Doesn't this company listen.
Message 42 of 88
andy_o
Guide

I don't know if it was like this before, but the firmware update page says that a factory reset must be done for the new wireless driver to install. It's specific to this FW update, on previous updates there was no such instruction. So my question is, can we back up settings, factory reset, then restore settings?
Message 43 of 88
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A few days later,

So far no problems with 2,4 and 5 Ghz, all devices have no problems witch connections, no dropping connections!
The 5GHz network speed work super, Turn off wireless signal by schedule working good.
All older devices have no problem to connect, with the 76 FW it is not possible for an good connection.
Install the as above, for my good work!

cbouten10 wrote:
Update: FW
Installed on the main router, so far so good, speed is good on the 5Ghz,
no dropping issues
Installation
1. back-up old FW (76)
1a. factory default R7500
2. FW installed
3. factory default
4. configuration R7500
5. back-up
6. reboot/ finish (total 1 hour)
Message 44 of 88
Lars2104
Aspirant

I have also no idea. But on my last update I had also problem in the beginning with 5Ghz and first after a factory reset it works.

A Backup is always a good idea, in the situation if you go back to the last version you used.

If this works also on the new version, I don't know.
Message 45 of 88
cloink
Aspirant

Upgraded to .92 and almost all was well, except that my Nexus 5 refuses to connect now (both on 2.4 and 5GHz). It still works on other AP's, so this must be an issue with the R7500. Sigh.

Rolling back to .82... Get your act together Netgear! :mad:
Message 46 of 88
RS72
Aspirant

On 1.0.0.92, my Nexus 10 (stock 5.1.1) can't connect to the 2.4 or 5 MHz Wifi network, even after a factory reset of the router and a reboot of the tablet. All other devices can connect just fine.
After reverting to 1.0.0.82 the Nexus 10 can connect again. I tried it twice, with the same results...seems it's not only HP printers that are affected.
Message 47 of 88
PEHowland
Apprentice

I too have had it with this router. The initial firmware supplied with the router (v1.0.0.82) failed completely at 5GHz when connecting to my MacBook Pro and also Playstation 4. Performance (speed) with the router was well below the nominal speeds, even when the connection to the device was reporting speeds of 300Mbps+. Support allowed me to try a beta firmware (v1.0.0.86) which solved the MacBook Pro issue, but speed remained poor and Playstation 4 still had difficulties connecting. I have just updated to this new v1.0.0.92 firmware, and although the 5GHz channel works, the connection speed never exceeds 30Mbps on speedtest. For reference, I have a 200Mbps internet connection. When I enabled the wi-fi on my ISP's budget modem/router, I was able to achieve 90Mbps. Enough! I've just bought an Asus RT-68U router and it just works - great connection speeds throughout the house and 130Mbps+ on speedtest.

Unfortunately I have mislaid the receipt for my Netgear, otherwise I would be returning it to the shop. I don't have the heart to sell it to someone else, so a total wasted purchase.

Last time I ever buy Netgear.
Message 48 of 88
pdbob2
Aspirant

Another fail. This router has sucked since day one and now this update just killed my 5ghz like so many others.

I followed instructions and reset to factory afterward...

Going in the recycle bin as I don't dislike anyone enough to gift to.
Message 49 of 88
redhot
Aspirant

Here another user which cannot connect his Android device after the upgrade.
Router is in AP mode
Phone: Nexus 5 with Android 5.1.1
Both on 2.4 and 5Ghz, phone doesn't connect anymore to the router if WPA2 security is used. (if no security is used, the phone does connect)
Only fix is downgrading again to 1.0.0.82...
Message 50 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E