Re: R7500 new firmware update available V1.0.0.92

andy_o
Guide

I am using both a Nexus 5 and N10 on Android 5.1.1 stock and have no problems with the new firmware. Upgraded like I said above, just restored settings after a factory reset.
Message 51 of 88
lablett
Aspirant

I think it is important to detail the facts on these problems. My other concern on these comments is that we all have different clients that also play a part in possible problems. For example I upgraded my laptop wireless card to the intel 7260 and my problems have gone away.

So in future can please details the client OS/hardware you have and also how you determined the problem. Also if you are running MS windows can you please detail the signal strength. Under network connection double click on your wifi and you will see your current speed. This is important as it indicates your current speed and may point out any problems.

I feel we need to be more specific to help us and Netgear get to the bottom of these problems.

For example :-

Netgear : 7500 on firmware V1.0.0.92
Client : Windows 8.1 with Intel 7260
Indicated speed from OS : 390Mbp
Distance details from Router : 10 Feet and no walls.
Problem details : My 5Ghz wi-fi keeps dropping as windows keeps stating connecting and disconnecting.

Remember the more detail the better!
Message 52 of 88
dbett
Aspirant

Nightmare of an "upgrade".

I'll take some credit for the initial issues because I did not RTFM so missed the recommended reset to factory settings after the upgrade.

My initial issue was that my 2.4 network simply disappeared. No device in the house could see it. That includes several flavors of Windows 8 laptops, iPhones, Android devices, my Nest thermostats, etc.

I then did a factory reset from the web interface and tried to reconfigure manually. At that point neither the 2.4 nor the 5 networks would work. The configuration page would appear to update but they wouldn't be visible to any device.

The initial default wifi networks would appear, but I couldn't modify them without issues.

I eventually tried the "Genie" windows desktop app and was able to modify those networks with new names and they were visible last night. This morning however the 2.4 network was no longer visible.

During the course of last night I tried to downgrade to older firmware versions (first 1.0.0.82 and then 1.0.0.76). I downloaded both from the Netgear site and extracted the .img files. I used the web interface to upload them to the router (in Chrome). After uploading the router displayed the message: "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

I verified the .82 file was correct and redownloaded it. I tried in IE and then tried the .76 version. I consistently got the same error.

This morning I finally gave up and did (another) factory reset using the router's reset button on the back. I simply let it be with the factory default settings and proceeded to update all of my devices to connect to the "Netgear" wifi networks.

So....

Anyone have a suggestion on getting this to downgrade to an old firmware?

Or a trick to doing a more aggressive reset procedure?

Or is there a good third party firmware I can use?

Thanks.
Message 53 of 88
andy_o
Guide

dbett wrote:

This morning I finally gave up and did (another) factory reset using the router's reset button on the back. I simply let it be with the factory default settings and proceeded to update all of my devices to connect to the "Netgear" wifi networks.

Thanks.

So is it working with the Netgear default networks? The firmware update page explicitly said to factory reset with the button on the router pressed more than 5 seconds, which is what I did, and what you did the second time. Maybe that did it? If your Netgear default networks are working, did you try renaming them?

As I said above, after a factory reset I have seemingly not had trouble restoring settings from the backed-up settings of .82. All my devices seem to be working fine, a N5, N6, N10, iPad mini 2, iPad Air, Win 8.1 x64 laptop with an old Intel adapter, all on 5GHz, then on 2.4GHz a Chromecast, Obi 200, iPod Touch 4G and Harmony Hub.
Message 54 of 88
LolitaSam
Aspirant

i update R7500 firmware to V1.0.0.92 VPN is fail
downgrade to V1.0.0.82 VPN is worked
Message 55 of 88
KWKF
Aspirant

Hello,

I`ve made a complete setup of Ver. 92 firmware ( factory reset V.82, update to V.92, factory reset ).
So far so good, but when using the folowing units i get problems with each one:

Nexus 9 : looses often 5 GHz wlan, need to connect new
Nexus 7 2013 : looses often 5 GHz wlan, Need zo connect new
Nexus 7 : Does not connect to 2,4 GHz wlan. WPS does not function. Manuel typing SSID and passphrase does not Funktion too.

Despite of the described items : When i am connectet on Nexus 9 it seems to me, that speed is better then Ver.82.

So i went back to Ver. 82 ( factory reset V.92, downgrade to V.82, factory reset ).

What should i say ?

All 3 devices work flawlessly !

Netgear, for me, firmware Ver.92 is not useable at the present. Please fix the described errors, because i like to get the better Speed on Ver.92.

Greetings ...

Klaus
Message 56 of 88
dbett
Aspirant

andy_o wrote:
So is it working with the Netgear default networks? The firmware update page explicitly said to factory reset with the button on the router pressed more than 5 seconds, which is what I did, and what you did the second time. Maybe that did it? If your Netgear default networks are working, did you try renaming them?

It seems to be working fine now with the default settings.

However, it did not work even after a hard factory reset (using the reset button on the back of the router) when I tried to change the default settings. That included simply renaming and changing the passwords on the two wifi networks.

I'd try some more troubleshooting now, but the wife works from home and I really can't be taking the network (and VoIP phone) down right now.
Message 57 of 88
Tekneek
Aspirant

Are any of you with HP printers able to get them to connect using V1.0.0.92 (w/o using open wifi or WEP)? I would be very interested in any reports of that and the steps you followed that successfully got your devices back on the WLAN. I am sure support at both Netgear and HP would find it helpful as well.
Message 58 of 88
xXMyrddinXx
Novice

did you folks roll back the .92 to the .82? I had some problems after the upgrade... I couldn't get the factory reset button to work, so I had to just reboot the router and then the reset button worked (based on the lights after the button push). all seemed OK after, but my kids keep telling me that the wifi is dropping their phones and games systems... should i remove all network settings from the devices and add it back? or should I roll back to .82? seems fine on my phone... I asked if you rolled it back because on the home DL page it shows the latest being .82...
Message 59 of 88
lablett
Aspirant

I downgraded from .92 to .82 as I wanted to try something and now I cannot upgrade back to .92(through the router GUI). I'm guessing that .92 has been pulled. Cutting edge is often bleeding edge!
Message 60 of 88
xXMyrddinXx
Novice

Only because I wasn't sure I rolled back to .82. Best I can tell is that it was puled... its not up as the latest FW on the site. Will see if my kids still complain...
Message 61 of 88
Neverwish
Tutor

Rolling back tonight, had also a lot of issues. Especially in combination with Fiber connection, Unfortunately I need the GS105 switch extra as the R7500 STILL HAS NO support for VLAN's. The cheaper, lesser model R7000 did receive this update months ago :-(

So please upload a stable version 93, which gets all the possible performance of the newer chipset used and add as a bonus, we already paid premium for the product, the VLAN support.

Will report my rollback results when done.
Message 62 of 88
Puffnstuff
Guide

I rolled back to 82 because of the random disconnects of my samsung galaxy note 2 cell phone. I really wish that netgear would field test their f/w more prior to releasing it as non beta code.
Message 63 of 88
bino
Aspirant

Issues after updating to new firmware:

I had no patience enough to test more issues, just gave up.
    I flashed back old firmware V1.0.0.82
    Netgear engineers - i really believe You doing Yours best.
    So wait for great firmware without any issues Smiley Happy
Message 64 of 88
Tekneek
Aspirant

I know a lot of people pile on against Netgear, but it is telling they recognize there are problems and have pulled this update. While that is not a huge improvement, I know there are companies that leave updates out there despite significant problems and never acknowledge that the issues exist.
Message 65 of 88
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The firmware has been removed while Netgear engineers deal with some issues that have been identified, I don’t know the details of the issues or when the firmware will re-appear (as a new version I expect). If I am informed of anything that I can share with the forum I will do so.
Neverwish
Tutor

Tekneek wrote:
I know a lot of people pile on against Netgear, but it is telling they recognize there are problems and have pulled this update. While that is not a huge improvement, I know there are companies that leave updates out there despite significant problems and never acknowledge that the issues exist.

Don't get me wrong I am using Netgear for many years now and I am aware of their support towards their customers, being us.
Though somehow the R7500 turns out to be still the little ugly duck while we hoped it had already grown into the beautiful swan which it's hardware specs is more than capable to do so.
And if stable with added VLAN support, it will crush the competition as they can not offer anything else but a copy of maybe the X8000 Smiley Happy
Message 67 of 88
dbett
Aspirant

dbett wrote:
It seems to be working fine now with the default settings.

Not working fine. It dropped the 2.4 wi-fi network overnight. A reboot brought it back, but this is annoying in what was sold as THE best router. :mad:
Message 68 of 88
Killhippie
Prodigy

Neverwish, The new Wave 2 routers coming later this year will more than likely drop the Quantenna for 5Ghz for Qualcom so as to get Mu-Mimo working, since QT have not provided driver's for either the R75000 or the AC97U (Asus) Looks like the R7500v2 will probably be the better router as it will be all Qualcom based and not a QT and Qualcom mix.
Message 69 of 88
Killhippie
Prodigy

Sorry for typos, I meant; The new Wave 2 routers coming later this year will more than likely drop the Quantenna for 5Ghz for Qualcom so as to get Mu-Mimo working, since QT have not provided driver's for either the R7500 or the AC87U (Asus) Looks like the R7500v2 will probably be the better router as it will be all Qualcom based from the submission and not a QT and Qualcom mix. http://www.snbforums.com/threads/net...hown-up.24717
Message 70 of 88
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
I use R7500. Not many devices connected to it. 2 iPADs, 2 surveillance cameras, 3 desktop PC, 3 laptops. One laptop is used as HTPC real time streaming multimedia stuffs. one WiFi Printer, one NAS. With V1.0.0.92 f/w, I
don't have any issues so far.
Message 71 of 88
muetzekoeln
Novice

Babylon5 wrote:
The firmware has been removed...

As someone said before Netgear should have run a public beta test, like it was done with earlier firmwares. They did not do themselfes a favor with NDA betatesting.
Message 72 of 88
ChairmanMeow
Novice

My 2.4Ghz wireless keeps disappearing while the 5Ghz works fine, a reboot sorts the problem, but its far from ideal.
Message 73 of 88
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

muetzekoeln,

Netgear do test firmware before release, their QA process would not allow it any other way. Beta testing as you suggest isn’t guaranteed to catch all bugs (or any other testing for that matter), if that were the case then the first beta-tested version of firmware would be the last since no more bugs would exist.

As I say, Netgear do test firmware, but issues can be encountered afterwards, especially where a product has a large and diverse user base. Personally I am glad that Netgear take swift action to remove firmware and make corrections when necessary.
Neverwish
Tutor

Tekneek wrote:

Sounds to me that my v1 was indeed just a test product, and we the customer spend too much money on an experiment instead of being a good solid investment. I hope the new firmware does the magic trick indeed, else it is time to return the product based on it's guarantee, install my old pre-nighthawk router and stay put until something has come out, which doesn't appear in this forum as a faulty hardware. Netgear please don't give me trouble when returning the R7500 or better come up with the best firmware update ever Smiley Happy
Message 75 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E