R7500v2 Beta Firmware (Newer Driver)

cybrnook
Luminary

R7500v2 Beta Firmware (Newer Driver)

Just posting the question of any potential beta or stable release firmware for the R7500v2 that perhaps has a newer driver to help with the disconencts we face?

Please advise, any help is appreciated.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 11
doraemon
Prodigy

Re: R7500v2 Beta Firmware (Newer Driver)

Isn't the latest firmware stable for you?

Is it disconnecting on wired or wireless connection?

Make sure that your connection from your modem is stable. 

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki 😄
Message 2 of 11
cybrnook
Luminary

Latest version causes wifi disconnects. Of course WAN to LAN is stable, nothing to do with the link.
Message 3 of 11
mediatrek
Virtuoso

I have 2 R7500v2 units and I have been working with L2 support who has been the “middlemen” communicators with the product engineers in Taiwan since February 2016 (it is now June 2016). Nothing fixed yet!

It took them 2 months just to enable a debugger in R7500v2 firmware for me to use. Originally I was told that the product manager was ending all development on the R7500v2, but not actually declaring it EOL (End of Life). Then they started getting numerous bug support tickets and a few weeks later that story changed.

The current v1.0.2.4 release firmware does use old Qualcomm drivers for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. I am having numerous issues in the 5GHz radio dropping and I know Linksys fixed them by using newer 5GHz drivers form Qualcomm like WAY back at the end of 2015 on the Linksys EA8500 which uses the same Qualcomm chip for the GHz radio as the R7500v2.

I am learning the engineers Netgear subcontracts with are very subpar compared to those that Belkin/Linksys and Asus work with. I am saying this not only based on this experience, but having troubleshooted with the Hong Kong-based team(s) on Broadcom-based Netgear products like the R8000 and others.

Long story short; if you can still get your $$ back from the retailer you got your R7500v2-- DO IT! If you want to stay in the Netgear family the R7800 works much better, but that one does have issues with some Broadcom-based wifi radios in apple iPhone and iPad products. @netgearguy at the SmallNetBuilder forum has said that there is a firmware on track to be released sometime this month (if all goes well) to fix the Apple/Broadcom issue(s) with the R7800. I should note that while the R7800 does use different Qualcomm chips than the R7500v2, they both use the same exact AP161 Qualcomm reference design.

Message 4 of 11
cybrnook
Luminary

I feel as though mods are avoiding to comment on this unit.
Message 5 of 11
mediatrek
Virtuoso

While it did take many, many (I really could add a 3rd "many") months, the resolution Netgear saw to my case (as mentioned prior was opened in 02/2016) was to replace my two R7500v2 units with R7800 units as firmware development for the R7500v2  was "not going to happen." I got my 2 replacement routers this week via FedEx.

I saw a few weeks ago Amazon.com posted a new SKU for the R7500v2 on their site. My guess is it will be a part of the upcoming Amazon Prime sale event. If so, I feel for the suckers who will buy it knowing that they will not be getting fixed firmware updates with the newer Qualcomm chip drivers integrated into the product firmware.

Message 6 of 11
cybrnook
Luminary

Have you been contacting via phone?

Message 7 of 11
cybrnook
Luminary

I feel very happy for you Mediatrek. Unfortunately, we are all not so lucky. I treid this evening contacting Netgear support, and after 20 minutes speaking with my first rep who put me on hold to look for further options, ended up transferring me back to the queue. Anyways, the next rep I speak with tells me that there are no reported cases of disconnect issues with the R7500v2, and that if I want to proceed, I need to put the router back in as my main router as allow the to start "diagnosing" the router. I assume this is the months long process you followed. As well, I was told that I would have to place this on my credit card, and if they feel they have resolved the disconnects (caused by outdated drivers) I will be charged for this. Mind you I purchased this new in March, so my "Premium" support ended a little over a month ago 🙂

Never-the-less, I ended up completely frustrated (again), and after an hour on the phone was absolutely nowhere......... So now I am still stuck with this router that is not "officially" EOL, but is also not being developed for.

Sure would like to offload mine as well... (Elaine, James help.........)

Message 8 of 11
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Phone, but initially email (mynetgear support portal). To get someone that would actually work with me, I had to complain on this forum and the snbforums.com Netgear forum to get a forum mod and/or Netgear social networking rep to have a Netgear L2 tech reach out to me.

I have learned that a consumer going directly through Netgear’s third-party subcontractor that they use for their phone tech support is hopeless. They care more about selling extended support contracts than debug current bugs in products to help customers.

Message 9 of 11
mediatrek
Virtuoso

As for the rep telling you there are “no reported cases of disconnect issues with the R7500v2,” that is so far from the truth I do not even know where to begin. There are many cases of 2.4GHz radio disconnect issues, and in my case there are also 5GHz radio disconnect issues. You are welcome to use my case# in reference to there being disconnect issues. My case# was 26514518.

It took the Taiwanese-based product engineering team 2 months to send me “beta” firmware for the R7500v2 that had no changes in it, except to enable the debugging log feature, which was already in public R7800 firmware releases. It basically was something that takes an hour to do and it took them months. Talk about inadequacies!

I cannot give you the firmware I am speaking of since I had to sign (electronically) an agreement not to do so. Once (and if) you get it from Netgear support, you can go to http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm to capture a debug log to send to Netgear to see what is causing the drops. Just make sure you do not use an 3rd part download manager software when downloading and saving the debug log as for some reason that corrupts the log archives generated.

Basically the “months long process” I went through was just waiting on Netgear to get stuff from the overseas product engineering team. I would follow up at least once a week to get updates, and it was either they do not have anything yet. Once it was they were all out for two weeks of vacation and that was why nothing for like a month.

Message 10 of 11
cybrnook
Luminary

Thanks for getting back to me, and providing the detailed information you have!

I sent a PM over to @ElaineM, perhaps she will get back to me (I hope so). Because, going through the phone support, as you already know, doesn't really yield any results. I explained that I feel there is no hardware issue, and as we all have reported, it is the firmware package we are running causing the issue. However, the rep (and his shift manager) wanted me to secure a CC charge to allow them to do remote diagnostics, thus leading to step-2 which they were suggesting of swapping the router with a refurb 7500v2. I tried to explain that I have had to pull this router out of use, and use a secondary router to avoid drop outs. Thus, the request of re-instating it would cause an issue here in the house as family members will now get unstable wifi and I will have to explain "Sorry all, we have to allow Netgear to remote into the router and collect logs. We will just have to live with it....", which I am not interested in.

So, hopefully a mod here could help me similarly to you and we could forgo the pain you already faced. FIngers crossed!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E