R7500v2 Disable Wifi Multimedia(WMM) cause Serious Internet Slow Down.

nightmares
Guide

R7500v2 Disable Wifi Multimedia(WMM) cause Serious Internet Slow Down.

Ok I think there is an Serious issue with Wifi Multimedia(WMM) setting for R7500v2. If I disable it, my download speed was significcantly dropped from 160Mbps to 25 Mbps. I dont think it supposes to do that. WMM is designed to give priorites to voice and video so disable it shouldn't affect the whole internet download speed. It is very annoying that I have to switch it back ON each time whenever I want to download some files or after I play an online game. please fix it the internet speed and disable it. 

Message 1 of 17
PEHowland
Apprentice

Re: R7500v2 Disable Wifi Multimedia(WMM) cause Serious Internet Slow Down.

Doesn't sound right.  But why do you want to disable it anyway?

Message 2 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It needs to be enabled and that's why it is enabled in the default settings in every router since the WNDR3700.

Contact support if you still have a concern after reading  http://www.broadcom.com/docs/features/WMM_QoS_whitepaper.pdf

Message 3 of 17
TheEther
Guru

+1

While WMM is, indeed, designed to give priority to multimedia traffic, it is also required in order to use the high throughput link rates.  When WMM is disabled, only 54 Mbps is possible.  Therefore, you must leave WMM on.

Message 4 of 17
nightmares
Guide

OK the reason why I disable it because it keeps giving me lag spike in online game every 3 to 5 mins.

My old gateways c6300 and Arris TG862G doesn't have this WiFi Multimedia feature or QoS at all and it still give me full internet speed and I never had lag with it.

As I stated earlier, Disable WMM shouldn't affect the whole internet speed. There is an issue here.

Message 5 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Just because the C6300 and Arris TG862G didn't have the option to disable WMM doesn't mean that they didn't support it.  In fact, here is a screenshot that shows that the TG862G has a WMM setting.  As for the C6300, it doesn't have QoS settings, which is where Netgear usually puts the WMM.  It's likely that Netgear just hid the QoS menu and left WMM always on.  Honestly, I don't know why Netgear still provides the option to disable WMM.  Maybe it's there to allow ancient Wi-Fi devices to work.  Apart from that WMM should be left on.

Anyway, the main point is that WMM is required by 802.11n and 802.11ac for link speeds above 54 Mbps, so disabling WMM can affect your overall Internet speed.  If your Internet speed is 20 Mbps or less, then you maybe could get away with disabling WMM, but Wi-Fi in your house is going to be terrible.  You could also try playing around with Dynamic QoS on your R7500.  Dynamic QoS works on top of WMM and may be able to reprioritize your gaming traffic.

Message 6 of 17
nightmares
Guide

Thanks for the reply. My old gateway is TG862G not TG862Gv2. You are looking at the wrong device. 

Anyway I don't care if I enable it or not, the problem is it keeps giving me lag spike every 3 to 5 mins with WMM on.

QoS setting in r7500v2 is very limited there is no custom rules that I can add. All it give me is the option to enable it and expect it to run 100% correctly  which is kinder stupid. 

Message 7 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here's an idea run a cable to your game and then WMM doesn't apply

Message 8 of 17
nightmares
Guide

Dude I know you are trying to be funny but please don't.

Message 9 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not trying to be funny Punk rather offering a solution. A wired connection is faster hands down beatoff.

Message 10 of 17
nightmares
Guide

I am asking to solve the problem with Wifi Internet Slow Down not wired connection. I know wired connection is better but what is the point of having expensive router if you use wire.  

Message 11 of 17
PEHowland
Apprentice

OK, well you've had clear advice.  If you disable WMM then your speed will drop.  WMM is the default setting of the modem and should be left enabled.

The issue you have is that when WMM is enabled, you get occasional lag.  This is not a "known feature" of the modem - i.e. no one else is reporting this here - and so the issue is how to resolve this problem when WMM is enabled.   I would first of all rule out that this is a problem with your modem or ISP due to congestion.  To do this, when you are experiencing lag issues, connect your gaming machine directly to the modem, bypassing the router, and verify that the lagging stops.   If it does, you know for sure that the issue is with your router.  

Having done that, you need to figure out what is causing the lag.  I would next remove all other devices from your network and see if the lagging continues - it could be an issue with some other device grabbing bandwidth occasionally.  If removing all other devices helps, slowly reintroduce them to the network until you find which one causes the issue.  

If all of that faills, do a factory reset of your router and reconfigure in case this is due to firmware corruption issue.  

If that still doesn't work, then you either have a faulty device, or you have discovered a new bug in the firware.  Either way, you need to call Netgear as the forums won't be able to solve that issue.

Message 12 of 17
nightmares
Guide

Ok I report the problem to the Netgear. It seems the problem affect mostly on the wireless N-900 adapter. After I got a new AC wireless adapter, the lags happens less now. Netgear should invesgitates this issue, I bet a lot of people are having the same problems as me if they use the old wireless b/g/N. 

Message 13 of 17
jplee3
Apprentice

Just wanted to chime in here but I started noticing issues with my Foscam Wifi camera when WMM is left on. The camera tends to drop out and reconnect at times but it won't hold a consistent connection. There have been others who have reported the same issue with their cameras dropping out. I've also noticed a similar issue on one of my Android devices (Kyocera Hydro Icon) where the phone will get into this weird mode where the wifi on it turns on and back off every second. This doesn't stop until I reboot the router, but it eventually comes back up again. I've found that if I disable WMM, it seems to help with both these issues. I haven't played enough with all the combos of turning WMM on/off for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks but I recall seeing these issues more consistently *unless* WMM was turned off on both channels; obviously this isn't ideal though. It seems this is a pain point not just for me and I've heard this has been brought to Netgear Support's attention (and that they even confirmed that they are working on it). Only time will tell, I guess. My patience sure is being tested in the meantime. 

Message 14 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi jplee3,

Can you check this firmware if it is the firmware you are using.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30445

Message 15 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi jplee3,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If the latest firmware resolves your issue, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the "Accepted Solution.

Message 16 of 17
jplee3
Apprentice

JamesGL, I'm noticing instability again with 2.4ghz wireless devices dropping out of connection after extended periods of time. This is with the latest 1.0.2.4 firmware upgraded from 1.0.2.2 (note: resetting to factory default *should not* be a necessary part of a fw upgrade as far as stability is concerned but I may have to resort to trying this as a last measure if I continue to experience issues). I am observing behavior with constant drop-outs on this channel and this manifests itself in all of my 2.4ghz devices connecting and disconnecting to the wifi network every second or two. Certainly not long enough to maintain a stable internet connection. The only temporary resolution I have come across is to power off the router and power it back on. Restarting the devices themselves does not improve the situation. 

Furthermore, I noticed the 1.0.2.4 has very short release notes only discussing improvements around the general UI and security enhancements. I see no indicator that there were improvements to the WMM-related issue as well as the 2.4ghz channel device drop-outs (both noted in this thread). Unless there are specific fixes to address specific issues, I would kindly suggest refraining from encouraging firmware updates as a generalized solution in hopes of resolving these very specific issues that end-users are encountering.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E