Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7500v2 slower speeds for all devices vs router speed test

mikeulator
Aspirant

R7500v2 slower speeds for all devices vs router speed test

I've been through several posts on this forum and none of the items in them have fixed my issue.  I'm experiencing speeds slower than expected for any device (wired or wireless) connected to the router.  If I connect my desktop directly to the modem I test at the max speed.  However, whenever I do a speed test from the router itself it tests at maxium speed.  Any device is testing at around 50Mbps slower, though.  I can accept a slight slowdown with the router in between but not that much.  Can't figure out why devices are so much slower.  I'm using a brand new Arris Surfboard SB6141.  I do the speed test on the router from Basic > Quality of Service > Speed test button

The things I've done based off of what I read in other posts or what I already had setup:

Disable Dynamic QoS

Change MTU to 1472 (from default 1500)

Rebooted router

Disabled wireless radio to see if my wired picked up and something wireless was going rogue (but I would expect this to affect the results of the routers test)

Connected desktop directly to modem (and got max speed)

None of the above produced any change.

Other stuff that may be of interest:

WMM is enabled, and in fact my laptop was only getting 15Mbps until I went into the Wireless NIC and enabled WMM there too (apparently it's not on by default).  It then jumped to 120Mbps (but the router tests at 175ish)

The "Beam" is turned on

According to each NIC, it is negotiating the correct speed (all are set to auto)

I've done the speed test from 3 different browsers

Desktop OS is Windows 10 1511

Laptop OS is Windows 10 1607

Phone is Android 7

Now, I know that re-applying the firmware (which is 1.0.3.4) and factory resets are options... however they are last resort options for me.  I'll do them should I not get any other recommendations because, despite it not being back-breaking, it's a pain to put everything back and I'll avoid it if I can.

Any thoughts as to what would cause this?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mikeulator
Aspirant

Re: R7500v2 slower speeds for all devices vs router speed test

I ended up going the factory reset route since no one had responded yet.  After a factory reset it was still bad but after rebooting the router after that everything was great.  I then reimported my backed up settings just to see what would happen... and it's still good even after rebooting the router.  So maybe there is a bug in the router and after a certain condition happens something goes haywire?  I don't recall always having problems and I've had the router since April.  Maybe it was there and I just wasn't doing anything to notice it as much.  Either way it seems to be fine now and it apparenlty isn't related to any setting.

Thanks for the reply James.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi mikeulator,

Try the last option that you have. Reconfigure manually and test the connection speed.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 3
mikeulator
Aspirant

I ended up going the factory reset route since no one had responded yet.  After a factory reset it was still bad but after rebooting the router after that everything was great.  I then reimported my backed up settings just to see what would happen... and it's still good even after rebooting the router.  So maybe there is a bug in the router and after a certain condition happens something goes haywire?  I don't recall always having problems and I've had the router since April.  Maybe it was there and I just wasn't doing anything to notice it as much.  Either way it seems to be fine now and it apparenlty isn't related to any setting.

Thanks for the reply James.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7