Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7500v2 wireless working wired is not

jtizzle247
Aspirant

R7500v2 wireless working wired is not

Hello all,

A couple days ago all of my wired connections stopped working.  Wireless is working fine.  I use all 4 ports on my router and none of them can connect to the internet.  The lights are blinking constant white with the exception of 1 orange, but that is because that connected device is off. 

*I have restarted the modem and router.

*Factory reset the router.

What am I missing here?  

I apprieciate the help,

-J

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions

Re: R7500v2 wireless working wired is not

@jtizzle247 wrote:

The modem is a Calix 726GE-I

It looks like a standard Optical Network Terminal rather than a router combo, but the presence of four Ethernet ports on something like that is new to me. It usually denotes a modem/router combination.

Some Google pages talk of it in router terms which takes you into double NAT country.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

And this converstion refers to a router:

RAX70 requires me to login to wifi repeatdly - NETGEAR Communities

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 19

All Replies

@jtizzle247 wrote:

I use all 4 ports on my router and none of them can connect to the internet.  The lights are blinking constant white with the exception of 1 orange, but that is because that connected device is off. 

It may be that the LAN ports are connected to the Internet – that's why the lights are flashing – but there is a problem with the devices at the other end of the LAN cables.

What are those devices?

Message 2 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

Thank you for responding.

3 desktops and a TV.  They all stopped working at the same time via ethernet.  1 of the desktops and the TV have wireless capability and connect to the router fine.

Message 3 of 19

@jtizzle247 wrote:

Thank you for responding.

3 desktops and a TV.  They all stopped working at the same time via ethernet. 

What do the desktops say when you try to connect?

Windows can be picky about connecting to "new" networks. But it usually throws an error of some sort to warn you.

Tried running the TV through its setup process?

Message 4 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

No errors at all.  With my desktops, the ethernet adapters say "unidentified network" and have APIPA addresses when viewed through ipconfig.  The TV doesn't see any wired network available.

Message 5 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

Forgot to mention that I did try the setup process for the TV and says there are "no wired networks available".

This is just so weird that they would all stop at once.  

Message 6 of 19

@jtizzle247 wrote:

This is just so weird that they would all stop at once.  

Can't disagree with that.

What modem are we talking about here?

Message 7 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

Message 8 of 19

@jtizzle247 wrote:

It looks like a standard Optical Network Terminal rather than a router combo, but the presence of four Ethernet ports on something like that is new to me. It usually denotes a modem/router combination.

Some Google pages talk of it in router terms which takes you into double NAT country.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

And this converstion refers to a router:

RAX70 requires me to login to wifi repeatdly - NETGEAR Communities

Message 9 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

The ethernet ports are on my Netgear R7500v2 router. My setup is like this:

INTERNET  -  MODEM  -  ROUTER  -  IN HOME DEVICES

Message 10 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

Ah, I miss understood what you said.  Yeah, the modem seems to be a dual purpose modem/router.  I am unable to login to the modem and my ISP is closed till Tuesday.  Guess I'll wait till then.

Thank you for taking the time to walk me though this.

Message 11 of 19

@jtizzle247 wrote:

Ah, I miss understood what you said.  Yeah, the modem seems to be a dual purpose modem/router.  I am unable to login to the modem and my ISP is closed till Tuesday.

Even a modem-only device should let you login.

If you can connect more than one device to the modem at the same time that spells "modem router".

Sometimes the second router will negotiate a different network setup that allows the two to coexist. Often it doesn't.

If the modem/router has taken charge of the wired connections, that could explain why the wifi still works.

You could put the R7500v2 into wireless access point (AP) mode. Then the wifi would work and so should the LAN ports. But that disables quite a few of the router features on the R7500v2 .

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 12 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

I can plug into the modem/router, but it is not the modem/router default login page.  I get a login screen from my ISP, but I don't remember my credentials from them.

Message 13 of 19

@jtizzle247 wrote:

I can plug into the modem/router, but it is not the modem/router default login page.  I get a login screen from my ISP, but I don't remember my credentials from them.

I assume that you are talking about the login screen for your Calix 726GE-I. (We still do not have confirmation that this Calix 726GE-I is a modem/router or a plain modem.)

These are probably the login details for your Internet service.

You will have to ask your ISP for these so that you can set up your router to connect through your modem.

The process of setting up a router, as explained in the manual for your R7500v2, is first to connect your modem using the ISP's login details. You can then connect a router to the modem and use the same details to get that to connect through your modem to the Internet.

Message 14 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

Yes, I am talking about the login for the Calix.  I get a splash screen from my ISP when I attempt to login.

The Calix is an optical network terminal/router combo.

So, I dealt with level 1 support at my ISP and they are as perplexed as I am.  I am waiting for level 2 to get back to me.  I will report back as things unfold.

Message 15 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

So, level 2 got back to me and verified that the Calix is set to bridge mode automatically.  They said it has to be something on my router that is causing this.  I did try a brand new router and I am experiencing the same issue: wireless=fine and wired=not fine.

When I have some time I will try setting my router to access point mode and see what happens.

Message 16 of 19

@jtizzle247 wrote:

So, level 2 got back to me and verified that the Calix is set to bridge mode automatically. 

That's interesting and get us a step nearer to understanding what is going on. Then again, ISPs are famously poor at understanding how their own networks work.

@jtizzle247 wrote:

They said it has to be something on my router that is causing this. 

It is more likely to be some sort of interaction between ONT and router. They are part of a network. Networks need everything in the chain to be properly set up.

Does the network require you to login to get access? If so, then entering those details into the router should connect you.

@jtizzle247 wrote:

When I have some time I will try setting my router to access point mode and see what happens.

If that works the ONT probably is not in bridge mode, a term that gets used, and abused, in different ways.

Message 17 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

I put the router into AP mode and lost all internet connectivity, no wired or wireless.  So, I am back in router mode.  Thoughts?

Message 18 of 19
jtizzle247
Aspirant

So the weirdest thing just happened, my wired connections are back alive!  Remember how I mentioned that I have 3 Windows devices connected to the router via ethernet?  One of those devices is an old desktop I mainly use for storage and is usually off for months at a time.  I had need of it today and when I turned it on all of my other wired connections are back like nothing happened!

I am pleased that everything is back to normal, but now I want to know WHY.  Do you have any ideas?  I really want to understand this issue.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7