Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 5ghz disappearing for a short time

m0a0k0s
Aspirant

R7800 5ghz disappearing for a short time

R7800 randomly drops the 5ghz band and restore it back.
"Select wifi network" window appears on my iPad 4 (ios 9.3.5), but when I choose "cancel" button it immediately reconnect to wifi network and everything working. No actions required to restore the network.
It happens several times a day if I use iPad for a long time, so that I can see this message on a screen.

firmawre V1.0.2.20

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi m0a0k0s,

If that is the case, this means the router is working fine and it has something to do the devices that does not stay connected to 5Ghz. You might want to update the iOS version or contact Apple.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi m0a0k0s,

Try changing channels of the 5Ghz network. If still the same, reset the router.

Message 2 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi m0a0k0s,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 11
m0a0k0s
Aspirant

I use this router only on weekends, so it takes some time to reply.
I've changed several chanels on 5ghz and have reset router several times but the problem still exists.
I can see it only if I use iPad a lot, that's not often happens.
Also my iPhone switches from 5ghz to 2.4ghz network after some time, maybe the source of problem is the same.
I have some devices compatible only with 2.4ghz, so can't turn off 2.4ghz.

My WiFi settings:

settings.JPG

Also iPad is registered only on 5ghz network, so it never switches to 2.4ghz.
iPhone is registered on both networks and it switches to 2.4ghz after some time (several hours) while it's lying near the router.

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Why haven't you enabled SSID broadcast on the 5ghz network?

Message 5 of 11
m0a0k0s
Aspirant

Switching SSID broadcast didn't make any difference, considering the error.

Message 6 of 11
m0a0k0s
Aspirant

I've just discovered next thing in router log:
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address ..., Friday, February 24, 2017 15:07:36
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address ..., Friday, February 24, 2017 15:07:33
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address ..., Friday, February 24, 2017 15:07:12
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address ..., Friday, February 24, 2017 15:07:09
It happened just in time when my iPad lost network again and it's the iPad MAC address.
I'm sure I didn't have those records in log before I turned on SSID broadcasting.

I never change connection setting on iPad since I configured it with new router. iPad uses static IP address.
Moreover there's no way in IOS to explicitly change security options on already registered network, except unregister the network completly.

Also I have "Turned on Access control" with "Allow all new devices to connect" checked.

Message 7 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi m0a0k0s,

Do you have other devices you can use? This is just to check if the same behavior happens using a different device

Message 8 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi m0a0k0s,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 9 of 11
m0a0k0s
Aspirant

Hello. I’ve cheked log records and there are no records with “WLAN access rejected”, except today when I came here.  This error appears only for iPad4, iPhone constantly  switches to 2.4ghz but there are no messages in the log. Other devices that connected to router are iPod Touch (iOS7), iPad Air 2 (iOS 10), appleTV, smart tv, notebook. No errors in log. All configured to use single band, so no switching. It seems that  iPad Air 2 doesn’t have this problem, at least no "Select wifi network" message and no errors, but different iOS version.

Message 10 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi m0a0k0s,

If that is the case, this means the router is working fine and it has something to do the devices that does not stay connected to 5Ghz. You might want to update the iOS version or contact Apple.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7