Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Channel Overlap 6(8)

ikw439812
Tutor

R7800 Channel Overlap 6(8)

R7800

Hi:

Initially, the R7800 2.4GHz was set to Auto channel. But the signal was dropped when passwords were changed and could not regain the signal. Netgear support suggested changing the channel from Auto to a set number. I have chosen 6 due to the neighbors who are on 1 and 11.

However, when I changed from Auto to channel 6, I checked the transmission signal graph and learned it had expanded to cover channels 4 to 12 when it is set for channel 6, overlapping the neighbors on channel 11.

Using 3rd party apps (not netgear) I discovered that channel 6 was listed but now with (8) added. So, that the channel looks like this: 6(8)

Netgear genie still only shows channel 6 as the designated channel.

Question: How do I eliminate channel (8) but still keep it on channel 6 so that it reduces the coverage overlap on channel 11?

Thanks

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: R7800 Channel Overlap 6(8)

@ikw439812 wrote:

Question: How do I eliminate channel (8) but still keep it on channel 6 so that it reduces the coverage overlap on channel 11?

You don't want to do this.  The extra channel is because newer WiFi standards (802.11n and newer) allow for a wide 40 Mhz channel.  That has twice the capacity of the older 20 Mhz channel.  Scaling it back will cut back your WiFi Speed, and you likely won't be seeing any significant interference from the channel 11 signal.  The router has 20/40 coexistence detection, so it will drop back to channel 6 only if that is needed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ikw439812 wrote:

You don't want to do this.  The extra channel is because newer WiFi standards (802.11n and newer) allow for a wide 40 Mhz channel.  That has twice the capacity of the older 20 Mhz channel.  Scaling it back will cut back your WiFi Speed, and you likely won't be seeing any significant interference from the channel 11 signal.  The router has 20/40 coexistence detection, so it will drop back to channel 6 only if that is needed.

Message 2 of 3
ikw439812
Tutor

Thanks! Appreciate the quick reply.

Question is answered.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation