R7800 - Critical Netgear Bug Impacts Flagship Nighthawk Router

Florisz
Tutor

R7800 - Critical Netgear Bug Impacts Flagship Nighthawk Router

This news item came to me today with title; "Critical Netgear Bug Impacts Flagship Nighthawk Router"

https://threatpost.com/critical-netgear-bug-impacts-nighthawk-router/153445/

I'm on 1.0.2.62 for quite a while now after several times upgrading to higher/newer versions, but went back to this 'stable' version, because of stability problems.

Also reading all the problems in this community about the 1.0.2.68 version, I don't want to upgrade to this version.

Does the 1.0.2.62 version suffer from the vulnerability mentioned in the link above? Can we take other precautions to be save from this vulnerarability? (I don't have remote access enabled in the router. Also, the router is behind my fiber modem/router)

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6
James721
Luminary

Re: R7800 - Critical Netgear Bug Impacts Flagship Nighthawk Router

Yes you would be at risk running any firmware below 1.0.2.68. 

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin. 386.2
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 2 of 6
Florisz
Tutor

I don't want to be rude, but I find your answer not very community friendly as it gives no added value.
I have to be more precise about my config as well I agree.
So I have an fiber modem/router provided by my fiber provider and set up a static route to the wan port of the R7800 and put the up address of the WAN port of the R7800 in the DMZ config of the fiber modem/router. The fiber modem/router does not have a configurable firewall settings. No port forward settings are configured in the fiber modem/router.
Remote access is not enabled in the R7800.

Would you be still vulnerable for the bug in such a setup if not using the latest firmware?
I just realize that by setting up the DMZ in the fiber modem/router to the R7800, you are actually setting everything wide open to it...
Although not happy about it, I will update right away.
Sorry for the fuzz
Message 3 of 6
James721
Luminary

What added value are you looking for ? You asked a question i gave you the answer there is nothing more to add. I don't work for Netgear and only have owned one of there routers that is no longer used because of there horrible firmware and support. Never again i suggest you consider the same as this company has proven they just don't care to get it right.  Have a good day..   

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin. 386.2
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 4 of 6

@James721 

You didn't say anything wrong. 

@Florisz 

If you are looking for more information, a simple search yields the following:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061740/Security-Advisory-for-Unauthenticated-Remote-Code-Execution-on-R780...

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 5 of 6
Florisz
Tutor

Thank you for your replies and the link with the information from Netgear about the vulnerability.
What I miss in this is the details how this vulnerability could be misused.?
Like;
- Do you have to hsve remote access enabled
- Remote ports
- etc.
In my case my external IP will end up at my fiber modem/router for example. My R7800 has an internal IP on it's wan port.
Although no port forwarding is setup in the fiber modem/router, the R7800's wan port Mac address is configured in DMZ of the fiber modem/router.

Kind regard
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements