Highlighted
Aspirant

R7800 Dropping Ethernet Connection

My R7800 (AC2600) X4S needs to be rest almost daily because anything that is hard wired through the router loses connection (2 XBOX's and 1 PC). The wireless functions perfectly though. I am on firmware V1.0.2.28 and when I try to update the firmware it says I have the wrong firmware even though I am pretty sure I have the correct download.

I have seen this problem all over the internet and hopefully someone has a fix. This is the first I have heard of the wirless working flawlessly and the etehrnet ports going down and neding a rest of the router.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
Highlighted

Re: R7800 Dropping Ethernet Connection

@HBGeek wrote:

I am on firmware V1.0.2.28 and when I try to update the firmware it says I have the wrong firmware even though I am pretty sure I have the correct download.

There have been more than half a dozen new firmware versions since then. The latest came out a week or so ago.

You don't say what is telling you that you have the wrong firmware,  but the easiest way to get the latest version is to read and follow the releases notes:

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.58 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I'd try that and see if it fixes the problem. It may also be a good idea to factory reset the device after you have applied the new firmware, especially with such a big jump. 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Master

You did unzip the file I hope? The extracted file should have router model in the file name and end with .img.   

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I will try this tomorrow when I have some free time. Generally when I unzip the file and login to my routers setings and go to firmware uodate I choose the file and it starts updateing it. It starts a 0% and goes all the way to 100% and then tells me I have the incorrect firmware.

I will try the one you have posted though.

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, I did unzip the file. Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Luminary

There have been many reports of compatibility problems between the R7800 and the XBOX that match your symptoms. One of the suggestions is to disable "Instant on" in the XBOX, but it doesn't seem to work for everyone. If that doesn't work, I would disconnect both XBOX's for a few days to verify that this is your problem.

You should also upgrade to v 1.0.2.58, reset the router to factory defaults using the reset button, and then reconfigure the router manually.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

@pec967 wrote:

There have been many reports of compatibility problems between the R7800 and the XBOX that match your symptoms. One of the suggestions is to disable "Instant on" in the XBOX, but it doesn't seem to work for everyone. If that doesn't work, I would disconnect both XBOX's for a few days to verify that this is your problem.

You should also upgrade to v 1.0.2.58, reset the router to factory defaults using the reset button, and then reconfigure the router manually.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I try to upload the update to the router it says it i the wrong file. I am going to http://192.168.1.1 or
http://192.168.0.1, logging in, going to the firmware uodate portion, updating with the file I downloaded, it gets to 100% and then tells me it is the wrong file. Thoughts?

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted

@HBGeek wrote:

I am not sure what I am doing wrong ...

To work that out, we need to know what you are doing.

@HBGeek wrote:

...updating with the file I downloaded, it gets to 100% and then tells me it is the wrong file.

What is the name of the file that you are trying to upload?

You say:

I am going to http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1,

That's an odd way to describe it. Which is it? How are you getting there?

If you read the release notes for this file, it will tell you what to do:

Three times now you have said it "tells me it is the wrong file". But you have given us no useful information that can tell us what you are seeing and how you get there. We are no wiser than we were after your first message.

If you can, a screen shot could tell us more. As it is, we run the risk of going round in circles until you can provide clear details of what you are doing and the exact messages you receive.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@HBGeek wrote:

I am on firmware V1.0.2.28 and when I try to update the firmware it says I have the wrong firmware even though I am pretty sure I have the correct download.

There have been more than half a dozen new firmware versions since then. The latest came out a week or so ago.

You don't say what is telling you that you have the wrong firmware,  but the easiest way to get the latest version is to read and follow the releases notes:

I'd try that and see if it fixes the problem. It may also be a good idea to factory reset the device after you have applied the new firmware, especially with such a big jump. 

Okay I followed to directions in the patch notes exactly to upload the new firmware and the same thing happened where it says "the firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the cirrect firmware for this product". I will attach a screen shot and just to make sure the bottom of my router says "AC2600 Smart WiFi Router Model: R7800".

So now for some reason I can't update the firmware on my router.

I have also turned off instant on for both my XBOX's.Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

> So now for some reason I can't update the firmware on my router.

If you're sure that you're specifying the right firmware image file
for your device, and the file has not been corrupted, then the device
firmware may be too corrupt to know correct from incorrect.

If you get desperate, then you might try using the TFTP recovery
scheme to cram the firmware of your choice down the device's throat
(whether or not it's appropriate).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

That thread refers to a particular KB article:

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/

which Netgear (in its wisdom) seems to have removed, leading to a
blank/useless error page, rather than to its apparent replacement:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/

Also:
      https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted

@HBGeek wrote:

Okay I followed to directions in the patch notes exactly to upload the new firmware and the same thing happened where it says "the firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the cirrect firmware for this product". I will attach a screen shot and just to make sure the bottom of my router says "AC2600 Smart WiFi Router Model: R7800".

A couple of thoughts, you are leaping several versions of firmware. In the past I have seen messages saying that you need to have an intermediate version before jumping to the latest. I admit that this was mostly with beta tests of new hardware, but it has also been useful with production firmware.

So see if it helps to download a firmware version between your installed version and the latest release. If that works, the try the newest version.

Another option that has also worked for some people is to factory reset the router before trying the new firmware.

Try either, or both, of these before delving into TFTP. If you do need to go down that route here is the latest Netgear advice on that topic for Windows users:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP

I haven't seen the screenshot yet. It is stuck in a queue awaiting approval by one of Netgear's official minders.

By the way, is there any reason why you won't answer simple questions, such as the name of the file that you are trying to upload?

We don't ask those questions for the sake of it. The answers can be useful in trying to diagnose issues. Had you been more complete on answering requests for more information, we might have got to a resolution more quickly.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements