R7800 Firmware Update killed my device.

Archer71
Follower

R7800 Firmware Update killed my device.

Hi,

I was prompted on my Netgear Genie app to firmware update my router a few days ago. I did so and seemingly nothing happened. Yesterday however, I was forced to turn off the power to my house and so had the first device reboot since the firmware update and now it does not work.

It presents no wi-fi networks to connect to, and I am unable to connect via ethernet to routerlogin.net. It only shows a white power light and dimly lit 2.4ghz and 5ghz lights. I have tried using the resert button on the back (multiple times, holding for varying lengths of time up to 1 minute), but this does nothing.

After searching around, it seems that people have suffered similar fates from a corrupt firmware update. A community post details a possible fix on a similar device with the same symptoms here; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-...

I tried these steps; enabling tftp, setting my static IP to the one suggested and then trying to use CMD with the command "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R7800-V1.0.2.52.img". The returned the message 'Connect request failed" after ~30 seconds. The firmware file I downloaded was from here; https://kb.netgear.com/000059692/R7800-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-58 

I am now at a loss as to how to fix my device; I am almost certain it is a corrupt firmware install that has caused it, however the previously suggested fixes don't appear to work for me. Any ideas? I really don't want to have had a $200 device go to waste because netgear don't properly test their firmware updates and offer no free support.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: R7800 Firmware Update killed my device.

if you get a connect failure/timeout, your tftp is not correctly enabled. I suggest following these steps https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 4
Adentt
Aspirant

I have the same issue, and did the same resetting 30-30-30. I downgraded the firmware, nothing works. I shouldn’t have to TFTP anything. My router was great prior to the update and now it’s nothing and I have no support from NG. I’ve been with NG for years but now I suppose unless you can code on your PC try something else.
Message 3 of 4

@Adentt wrote:
I have the same issue, and did the same resetting 30-30-30. I downgraded the firmware, nothing works. I shouldn’t have to TFTP anything. My router was great prior to the update and now it’s nothing and I have no support from NG. I’ve been with NG for years but now I suppose unless you can code on your PC try something else.

Don't be such a defeatest.  A TFTP reflash depends largely on timing as well as proper usage and configuration.  Sometimes it takes 2-3 attempts, but you'll get it I'm sure.  Once done, your router will be returned to its old self and can be set up again from scratch.

Moral of the story.  Don't use Genie to upgrade.FW and don't do so automatically from the GUI either.  Download the file and upgrade the router from a PC conected via ethernet.   Just be patient and give it another try. 

These are the instructions you'll want to use.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E