Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: R7800 Latest Firmware Issue - DO NOT UPDATE TO V1.0.2.62

I've got to say, I'm incredibly disappointed with Netgear's disinterest in fixing the firmware for the expensive hardware it supports. It's been 7 months now with nothing. The same problems still persist and not even so much as a reply to this thread letting us all know that they are working on fixing this garbage.

Portforwarding is broken (always has been for me), PiHole is still broken on the newest version of the firmware, and the 5Ghz connectivity is still unstable. All of that to say for a long time I thought I was the problem, but it turns out these are all very common issues that are out of anyones' control. It's too bad OpenWrt cuts my speeds in half, otherwise I'd have just stuck with that, since they seem to actually give a care about providing a stable experience.

It's far too late for me to take all this gear back and use a different brand, unfortunately, but I hope it isn't too late for whoever comes to this thread looking for answers as to why a firmware update is creating new problems.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 101 of 138
Highlighted

came from an asus rt-66u and loved it. Not sure why i bought the netgear. 

I have been having 5g issues with it constantly disconnecting me.. when I work from home, i constantly see cisco vpn disconnect/connect.. at least once every 10minutes. switched to 2.4g and fixed... not a real fix.. i know..

ill try that 2ndary firmware discussed soon... all in all i like the router, but agree, vendor needs to have it solid and this will be my first and only router by them. 

Message 102 of 138
Highlighted
Tutor

Voxel is great so far. It was < 5 mins to switch to it. All configs saved so I didnt have to redo any port forwards or special settings.

Only thing I'm not sure of yet is if I'll have to regular go check voxel site for updates or if his firmware will put a little notice up top when a new one is available.
Message 103 of 138
Highlighted

Was a sinch to install... up and running within minutes on Volex FW... looks OEM, with a bit of eye candy change...

but all in all, did the upgrade and walked away. havent been back on it yet...

i was having an issue with netgear fw .60 where my 5ghz on my work laptop would disconnect/reconnect every few minutes... got to check to see if that issue is gone..

but agreed.. recommend Volex 100% !!!!

now if he could add the parental controls the asus have, that would be awesome as im still contemplating switching back to asus as i like the ability to disable access to individual devices within 30 minute incriments...

Message 104 of 138
Highlighted
Luminary

Voxel's latest firmware is based on Netgear 1.0.2.62 firmware so if you had disconnects on stock it's likely you will still have them on Voxel's he does not touch the wireless drivers. Also Netgear has released a hot fix 1.0.2.63 for the R7800 for security issues. Voxel does not have these fixes in his firmware so thats somthing to consider. He will not be able to add the security fixes because Netgear dont release source code for beta firmware so he will have to wait for the next Netgear official release. 

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin. 384.19_Alpha 2
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 105 of 138
Highlighted
Apprentice

My disconnections disappeared on Voxel's latest firmware. They've made some improvements over Netgear. While I'm an advocate of security (1.0.2.63), I'm not sure what good security fixes are if they remove the reliability of the router. I'm sticking with Voxel until Netgear cleans this mess up.

Message 106 of 138
Highlighted
Guru

I haven't seen any issues with stock v63 security hot fix on my R7800, tested it out in wireless bridge mode and it's not working as an AP for my main network. No issues seen thus far. 

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 107 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've been running Voxel's firmware with great results for months, thanks to this thread. I switched to Voxel because I'm one of the group that .62 broke my ability to run a home DNS server (Pi-hole), so it's been a lifesaver, up till now. Still, security really has to be my and most people's first priority for home routers. Can anyone confirm whether 1.0.2.63 has fixed the issue with using a local DNS server?

Message 108 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

It hasn't. Smiley Sad

Message 109 of 138
Highlighted
Star

@James721 wrote:

Also Netgear has released a hot fix 1.0.2.63 for the R7800 for security issues. Voxel does not have these fixes in his firmware so thats somthing to consider. He will not be able to add the security fixes because Netgear dont release source code for beta firmware so he will have to wait for the next Netgear official release. 

I do not visit this forum too often...

Just FYI guys, to avoid misunderstanding and clarify these security fixes.

1.  I really do not have source codes of 1.0.2.63. But I was able to do binary comparison of 1.0.2.62 (used in my version because there are source codes) and hot fix1.0.2.63. Practically there are no differences in binaries, i.e. level of files inside firmware. So I can only conclude that 1.0.2.63 hot fix is an attempt to fix CVE-2019-11477, CVE-2019-11478, CVE-2019-11479 i.e. on the level of Linux kernel. And what is most dangereous today:

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-11477
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-11478
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-11479

2. I have included my own fix all of these CVE into my latest 1.0.2.68SF. I do not need source codes from NG to fix them. 

3. I think that my fixes are more complete vs this hot fix 1.0.2.63. Who is interested:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-r7800-firmware-1-0-2-63-beta-hot-fix.57430/#post-505128

discussion on what was fixed in 1.0.2.63 from NG.

4. In the same thread (below) you can see my explanation how it was fixed and regarding cannot fix w/o sources from NG.

Voxel.

Message 110 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

Where are you seeing 1.0.2.63?

EDIT:  Nevermind, I see it is in the beta section.

Message 111 of 138
Highlighted
Tutor

Very odd that this hasn't been fixed yet; i've been using the dhcp functionality of pihole and that's been working well, but it's not why i spend money on a "good" router. just thought i'd see if there's been any news; it's only been 8 months... /s

Message 112 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

Should this thread be retired now that 1.0.2.63 was introduced awhile back?

Message 113 of 138
Highlighted

@JayboH wrote:

Indeed. But still flagged as a "hotfix", that is "beta".

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.63 - Hot Fix | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Dated, in Netgear's eccentric way, "07/04/2019". In the real world, that means 4 July not the 7 April. A bit old whichever you use.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 114 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

I would say no, since the 1.0.2.63 update does not address the original DNS issue.

Message 115 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

@JayboH wrote:

I would say no, since the 1.0.2.63 update does not address the original DNS issue.

Message 116 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

People on the newer firmware will ignore this thread when browsing and searching though...

Message 117 of 138
Highlighted
Tutor

Got fed up waiting for netgear to resolve this problem so solved it myself, dumped the Netgear and moved to Ubiquti.

Thanks for all those that commented and posted advice.

Message 118 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

What model ?

I might do the same thing.
Message 119 of 138
Highlighted
Tutor

I bought an Ubiquiti USG Security Gateway (router) and an Ubiquiti Access Point (AP Pro) for the WiFi, I just use a raspberry Pi as the controller. Pi hole works now, and network is running well. Do a bit of research before you jump in, it was a little more involved setting it up than setting up the Netgear R7800. Well worth the effort and I learned a lot on the way.

Message 120 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok

Thank you for the info !
Message 121 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have a question that might be out of topic.

I am on the lastest FW but my issues is my 2.4g I have 400 Mbps and I barely get 100 next to the router. On my phone, laptop, PC, etc
Message 122 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

What can I do to solve this would my solution be downgrade to before .60 or voxels or nothing?

Help!
Message 123 of 138
Highlighted

@Imamexican wrote:
I have a question that might be out of topic.

Given that this discussion dates back to January and has covered many different issues, there is a high probability of that, especially as we know nothing about your network.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

As I said, you have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 124 of 138
Highlighted
Aspirant

As I appreciate your comment I don't understand why is not clear what latest is. When you know the latest is the .63 regardless of the post date

1. I don't own two routers
2. I have the R7800 and using the spectrums ISP Arris modem.
3. I am on the latest FW of the R7800 which is the .63. I checked for newer one and is up to date
4. I have tested 2.4 in different devices phones, laptops and pc

What else do I need to provide to get some help I posted here because is kinda of related to the issue.

But mine is just 2.4 won't give me my full ISP speed I understand 2.4 is slower but with their modem I was getting almost the 400 like maybe 300. Now 80 out of the 400 for me is insane next to the r7800
Message 125 of 138