Re: R7800 Latest Firmware Issue - DO NOT UPDATE TO V1.0.2.62

Yep — I mean, I'm using PiHole. 

Sorry,  I read some messages in this thread stating that they were suffering this issue without mentioning PiHole (just a custom DNS server like dnsmasq which PiHole uses for blocking the requests at DNS-level) so I thought it wasn't relevant whether i'm using PiHole or not but the fact that I'm using dnsmasq in the same subnet and the router has it as the primary DNS server. 

So yeah, it's the same problem 100% and I was just asking for any update, but this:

Sadly, there seems to have been no visible progress at Netgear's end.

Says it all. Thank you! 

Let's hope this gets fixed soon.

Message 76 of 138

I just DL this version 1.0.2.62 as i have held off.. and now it seems i have to reboot the router every 8h. what is even weirder is I was VPNd into work and that stayed working. Also have magic jack for phone and it is working but my pc lost internet connection, roku and apple 4k as well... reboot router and boom all working again... 

may have to roll back a version... 

Message 77 of 138
Aspirant

This still hasn't been resolved? Rolling back isn't a reasonable solution. Does anyone have an ETA for a patch?
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 78 of 138
Aspirant

Thanks for posting this I was banging my head for 3 days thinking it was my DNS server update I did around same time as router update.

Reverted router firmware back to ver60 and DNS requests from router to pi-hole DNS server are working again.
Message 79 of 138
Aspirant

I recently updated firmware and had same exact issue and downgrading firmware fixed it as well.
Message 80 of 138
Aspirant

You have to revert router firmware to v1.0.2.60. it fixed it for me and others.
Message 81 of 138
Aspirant

Hey all,

Had to dip into the thread (orginally following it passively) as netgear is now nagging me to "upgrade" the firmware. I erroniously though maybe they stealth fixed it as i'm getting email alterts to update, but no the behaviour and issues still persist months later.

Currently back on 1.0.2.52.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 82 of 138
Aspirant

I updated to 1.0.2.62 and now my wifi will not work without interuption.  

How do I reload the .60 version....?  Where can I find it and install it ....?

Randy

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 83 of 138
NETGEAR Expert

Hi rjwinn91, 

Here's the Firmware release notes. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060335/R7800-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-60

Thank you, 

Mary

Message 84 of 138
Prodigy

Hve to say thats odd as .62 was meant to fix stabilty with the 5Ghz band. Did you factory reset after updating to 1.0.2.62 and set up manually? (dont use a back up it can bring with it system configurations and settings that are not part of the latest update) and that includes OS low level system changes you cant see in the GUI. Always best to try a clean start.

Message 85 of 138
Apprentice

Yep, this latest firmware is major problems. I don't know how many times a day I've had to turn off and turn back on my devices to reconnect with the router. Mostly everyone expriencing problems with .62 has done a factory reset and manually configure...with no improvement. I'm quite suprised that Netgear hasn't made a new version of the firmware as this complaint is quite old. Also, can't get the router to work propelry with OpenDNS with this version of firmware (previous versions work just fine).

Message 86 of 138
Aspirant

I Wish I had seen this before I updated!

Now taking my second modem back to the store after updating. First time I was stupid enough to update from the mobile app (not knowing there were issues). Second time direct wired update and it still bricked the modem!

Called support, nothing they can do but replace it - NO THANKS!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 87 of 138

@Marshal687 wrote:

Now taking my second modem back to the store after updating.

The subject of this discussion is the R7800. Your "footer" says R7000P. Both are routers. So where does this "modem" come into the picture?

Without knowing anything about your hardware or what you did it is impossible to know if this really is a Netgear failing or if you did something wrong.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 88 of 138
Aspirant

My slip up “*ROUTER”

Was replacing it with an old Modem Router at the time.

Anyway spoke to support-again- it’s officially a brick after firmware update, second “ROUTER”. , solution “Replace it again” so took it back and purchased another brand.

It maybe a different model but the same issue and they have a serious problem with the “firmware”.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 89 of 138
Guide

Hi, just checking in aaaaaaaaaaaaand there has been no change in half a year....

ok then

Message 90 of 138
Tutor

yeah, i've been monitoring this too. awful customer service.
Message 91 of 138

How is this problem still not resolved? Is the firmware abandoned? 

Message 92 of 138
Guide

Hopefully this reply works as I haven't been able to reply to this thread for some odd reason ever since I created the thread. I'm still new to how this forum works so it could just be how I'm using it.

The first solution that I found which resolves this issue is to either downgrade to a lower version, such as 1.0.2.52. I don't recommend 1.0.2.60 as it has packet loss issues for me, but YMMV.

The other solution is to download and load Voxel's R7800 firmware which is a lot more consistent than Netgear's firmware. This includes many bug fixes, more features, and uses up to date software contrary to Netgear's.

I personally chose Voxel's firmware as the lower versions of the firmware has security issues, and because of how little attention Netgear has toward its firmware issues.

Message 93 of 138

for years i have been a Linksys wrt54g running custom firmware. Even after it was well end of life. 

I then jumped to Asus... and loved it. having kids, I love the parental controls. By far the best on the market as in time management.

I then felt the need for a new wifi router when I got a new smartphone with AC wifi. Guy I work with bought this router and highly recommended it so I jumped. He is currently running .62 with zero issues and did nothing custom to it!...

thanks for the custom firmware name, as i have searched throughout to find one but never really found one.

still i doubt it will have something I am looking for that the asus has... what is so great, is that I can lock down a devices connection by 30 minute increments. It kinda sucks that kids today, mine especially, dont listen when i say to stay in bed saturday morning but when i get up at 8am, they are on the xbox with the sound all the way down. so asus, I can set... off time from midnight to 8am for sat/sun and no xbox mon-fri.... 

the netgear only allows.. what time to shut off wifi connections and what time to turn them back on.. that is simply archaic and sucks. 

ill give that Voxels firmware a try and if not.. i may just plug my old ass Asus RT-66U back in...

do you have a direct link to the fw you used? i like to make sure I am using the one you are as you are saying it is working...

thx...

Message 94 of 138
Apprentice

Any issues once you're using the Voxel firmware to get back to Netgear's version?

Message 95 of 138
Guide

@BryanSD wrote:

Any issues once you're using the Voxel firmware to get back to Netgear's version?

Not at all aside from the recommended practice to reset all settings to default if you switch between the two.

Best part is it works right from the router's webpage firmware upgrade instead of having to get technical and use ssh/telnet to revert compared to other firmwares.

Message 96 of 138
Guide

@TeleFragger wrote:

for years i have been a Linksys wrt54g running custom firmware. Even after it was well end of life. 

I then jumped to Asus... and loved it. having kids, I love the parental controls. By far the best on the market as in time management.

I then felt the need for a new wifi router when I got a new smartphone with AC wifi. Guy I work with bought this router and highly recommended it so I jumped. He is currently running .62 with zero issues and did nothing custom to it!...

thanks for the custom firmware name, as i have searched throughout to find one but never really found one.

still i doubt it will have something I am looking for that the asus has... what is so great, is that I can lock down a devices connection by 30 minute increments. It kinda sucks that kids today, mine especially, dont listen when i say to stay in bed saturday morning but when i get up at 8am, they are on the xbox with the sound all the way down. so asus, I can set... off time from midnight to 8am for sat/sun and no xbox mon-fri.... 

the netgear only allows.. what time to shut off wifi connections and what time to turn them back on.. that is simply archaic and sucks. 

ill give that Voxels firmware a try and if not.. i may just plug my old ass Asus RT-66U back in...

do you have a direct link to the fw you used? i like to make sure I am using the one you are as you are saying it is working...

thx...

Link to the firmware list page. I'm using 1.0.2.67SF but it's essentially just a better default version of Netgear's firmware. If you want more customization, I would recommend loading OpenWRT or Kong's version instead. However, keep in mind that these two firmwares aren't as close to "vanilla" as Voxel's version and may not be 100% perfect, such as wifi LED lights not being functional.

Message 97 of 138
Luminary

Here are some links

Voxel web site:  https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html

Discussions on the Small Net Builder Forums here:  https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/

Message 98 of 138
Apprentice

Loaded the Voxel firmware. Much better now. I understand why Netgear needs time to test/certify their firmware updates...but I'm tired of wairing and will probably stick with Voxel unless something breaks there that Netgear's firmware can fix for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 99 of 138
Aspirant

thank you so much! i gave voxel a try and it solved my port forwarding issues on local LAN instantly.

before I spent days trying to solve a problem with that by stumbling from one issue to another.

voxel setup was super easy. I can recommend it also to someone with basic router knowledge.

Message 100 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements