• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor

R7800 Nest Thermostat - Only connects to Nest Website via Phone Hotspot

I bought a Nest Thermostat a few months ago but am unable to connect my Nest Thermostat to the Nest site so I can use my phone app to control the thermostat.  It connects to the WiFi but when I open the App for Nest, it says it is off line.  There is a screen on the Nest that shows IP addresses and other info but I believe Ping and maybe something else was not showing anything.  Nest Support had me add ports to port forwarding and check with my service provider to see if they were blocking any of these ports and they were not.  There are no batteries in the unit and it is wired correctly.  Nest Support then had me create a hot spot with my Android phone and connect to it and Bam, it connected to their site just fine.  I updated the firmware in the R7800 to the new .58 but was unable to get ANY WiFi to connect to it much less the Nest Thermostat.  Nest Support said it has to be something in the router settings as it would connect through my phone hotspot.  What am I missing???  If you have one that works with a R7800 running the .52 version hardware, please tell me what your settings are and if you connect 2.4 or 5G because I have tried both.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: R7800 Nest Thermostat - Only connects to Nest Website via Phone Hotspot

I am running R7800 firmware version 1.0.2.52 with two Nest 3rd Gen thermostats on 2.4GHz without any problems. My advice is to do a factory reset on the router (reset button) and then configure the router manually with minimal changes in router settings (e.g., router password, change default SSID's & passwords, Wi-Fi channel bandwidth, and any required DHCP reservations, but nothing else).  If you get a connection, you could then add back R7800 settings and see if any of them break the Nest connection. 

There are a number of reports of large spikes in ping times with v 1.0.2.58. In addition, SmartConnect is apparently enabled by default in 1.0.2.58, and there are some reports of devices that do not connect. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: R7800 Nest Thermostat - Only connects to Nest Website via Phone Hotspot

To get a Nest Thermostat working on this router you must get IPV6 working.  I had to use google DNS IP addresses 2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8888 and 2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8844

Once I had gotten IPV6 working and rebooting the Nest Thermostat, it connected and I am able to access it remotly from the app on my phone and also on the same network at home.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3