Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Not auto-negotiating speed correctly

harliquin76
Aspirant

R7800 Not auto-negotiating speed correctly

I have a gig-unmanaged switch that when I plug my computer into it and the other end in the router it, it auto negotiated to 100mbps instead of 1000. every device on the planet allows you to set speed staticly, except this router.....unless I am missing something. Is there a way to for the lan port to 1000mbps?!?!?!?! so frustrating. I have test it directly and it works fine, and this gig switch ran at a gig on my old router. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7800 Not auto-negotiating speed correctly

Does the Cisco switch work with the 7800 correctly? 

Maybe that due to the age of this gigafast model switch, may not be fully compatible with newer generation model routers as well. This is a off brand and not a big Mfr. I'd probably either try this switch behind the Cisco switch or not use the switch and use the Cisco or something else. Use a big Mfr like Cisco, HP, NG, or D-Link. There inexpensive and work well with with home class routers. Besure to get un-managed switches. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 15

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Device NIC should be configured as full duplex, 1000mbps.

Message 2 of 15
harliquin76
Aspirant

The device NIC is already set to 1000 full duplex, the switch is unmanaged but used to run at 1000 before I upgraded to this router.  The router is the one that is auto negotiating to 100. if you look at the link status under the router you can see it has auto-negotiated wrong. I want to set the router to force 1000 full

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model of this switch?  

I also have a 1000Mb unmanaged switch and it connects at 1000Mb. The router auto sets speeds depending on what devices it detects as support speeds at the device. There is no manual setting of LAN port speeds. Most home class routers don't have manual LAN port speed settings. 

Message 4 of 15
William10a
Master

@harliquin76 wrote:

I have a gig-unmanaged switch that when I plug my computer into it and the other end in the router it, it auto negotiated to 100mbps instead of 1000. every device on the planet allows you to set speed staticly, except this router.....unless I am missing something. Is there a way to for the lan port to 1000mbps?!?!?!?! so frustrating. I have test it directly and it works fine, and this gig switch ran at a gig on my old router. 

Any other devices connected to the switch and what is their speed?

A lan cable can cause the a 1gb port to act like a 100mb if one the wires are bad in the four twisted pairs.

Message 5 of 15
harliquin76
Aspirant

no other devices. (yet)...... 

My old router I could set to 1000 if I needed to, I never did thought because it worked correctly. 

I don't have the switch in front of my but its just some off brand switch thats worked perfectly for about 7 years. when I plus it into my cisco switch it autos to 1000 as well. 

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So the Cisco switch works however this off brand switch doesnt? I'd presume this one off brand switch maybe the problem. Besure to check all cables as well. Even though cables seem to work, I've seen odd issues with cables not working in other connections. CAT6 all the way for me. 

I know my HP 24pt Gb switch is working well with the 7800. 

Message 7 of 15
harliquin76
Aspirant

the off brand is a gigafast ethernet ez800-s

never mind   I  have got my switches mixed up. I was useing a dlink bebfore. I just realized this ia 100 only ....I feel stupid

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the Cisco switch work with the 7800 correctly? 

Maybe that due to the age of this gigafast model switch, may not be fully compatible with newer generation model routers as well. This is a off brand and not a big Mfr. I'd probably either try this switch behind the Cisco switch or not use the switch and use the Cisco or something else. Use a big Mfr like Cisco, HP, NG, or D-Link. There inexpensive and work well with with home class routers. Besure to get un-managed switches. 

Message 9 of 15
harliquin76
Aspirant

the sad part is I am a network technician and fell victim to my own arrogance, thinking I didn't need to check something simple because "I knew it was right" lol well I learned a lesson in humility today!

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No worries man. We all make mistakes here and there. We are allowed to. Now we learn from it and grow and move along. 

Message 11 of 15
harliquin76
Aspirant

i have a been useing my cisco 3560, but they are for my test enviroment and I hate losing my internet connection when I am testing configs and such. Also I do alot of studying remoted into my server, which is now getting internet through the 3560. So I change one thing and BAM, I am dropped out and can't get back in till I get home. 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Go check out some 1Gb un-managed switches on Amazon. Get you a 5 or 8 port going ASAP. NG I think has some also D-Link does that are on the cheap and work well. I have one connected to my 7800 directly that has all of my DISH devices connected to it. No problems here. 

Message 13 of 15
harliquin76
Aspirant

yeah I wanted my internet on a different network than my test lab this might be a hard set up to explain but here is what i would like

Desk1---ethernet--gigswitch---ethernet--r7800

server1---ethernet--^

^

|

----Com ports-------to all my switches and routers.

I have 8 com ports on my server (pcie commport card)

I have 2 nics in my server as well one running to the internet and one plugged into a switch for testing, and I have various raspberry PI's set up to create traffic.

I just ordered a gig switch so I am happy

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, you'll be fine with the new switch. 

Good Luck. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 kudos