R7800 OpenVPN server AES 256

Mufimufin
Aspirant

R7800 OpenVPN server AES 256

Dear all,

I have the newest firmware and I have tried to search on the internet, but without success.

I use the OpenVPN server and I would like to have some actual security provided by AES 256, etc.. 

However the default and as it looks like only provided option by Netgear is pre-generated AES128 which is not sufficient nor secure at all. Its like voluntarily giving up users to be hacked.

Please advice whether I can simply edit the config file to archieve AES 256 and if so then how. From what I have seen I do not think that the OpenVPN server on the router supports it.

Thank you.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: R7800 OpenVPN server AES 256

@Mufimufin wrote:

I have the newest firmware ...

How did you determine that?

There was new firmware for the R7800 a few days ago. The last time I looked this did not show up in the "check for updates" slot. I had to download and install it manually.

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.58 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
Mufimufin
Aspirant

I have determined it by the fact that it was updated during my OpenVPN set-up 1 hour before I have created this thread here.

Also in my router admin interface it shows 1.0.2.58 (the top right corner), but still only AES 128 is being used and there is no option how to change it.

Message 3 of 5

@Mufimufin wrote:

I have determined it by the fact that it was updated during my OpenVPN set-up ....

That tells us nothing. Heaven only knows how you did that update.

The only way to tell if you have the latest firmware is for you to tell people the number. Now that you have done that, I leave you to grapple with your problem.

There are other things to check, but you have probably tried those already.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 5
Mufimufin
Aspirant

It was updated through the web admin interface. There are indeed many ways how to update to the newest firmware version, but that is not the issue here. Even the newest firmware contains this huge security flaw and opens Netgear router users to hackers on a silver plate.

Its therefore not "my" problem, but Netgear`s problem to solve. I have seen other threads over the internet mentioning this security threat from 2017 or even earlier and it looks like nothing was done to fix it so far. 

If there are any other things to check that I need to provide I am here to help and do not have any problems with it. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E