Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Readyshare not enough space

Hulkster
Aspirant

R7800 Readyshare not enough space

Hello, I have a R7800 router with a 3 tb WD harddisk attached to it! And all of a sudden I notice that I can't copy big files anymore to the disk. I get the weird message "There is not enough space on USB_Storage (\\READYSHARE)". I included the full message in a picture. It is strange because I never had issues with this and when I bought the router it all worked.

I have the latest update (1.0.2.36) on my router and after that it started! I did reset my router to factory settings already after the update!

Thanks for any advise you can give me!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
KristinaS
Apprentice

Re: R7800 Readyshare not enough space

@Hulkster wrote:

No solution yet! Also I found out that deleting a big file from the harddisk is a problem and it gives an error message! On Windows 7 it gives this error message on Server 2016 it doesn't and it looks like it deletes it but then when you do F5 or go back and in the directory again it is still there!

I am getting more and more sorry for buying Netgear again after all this time!

i use voxels firmware. it is improved build of stock firmware. works like a charm. he corrected many ng's problems and with readyshare [samba] and other bugs too. works much faster and hw accelerated nat is working too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-39sf.41945/

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 28

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] I get the weird message "There is not enough space on
> USB_Storage (\\READYSHARE)".

According to the message (picture), the disk is almost full (750GB
free/2.72TB total).  Do you have some evidence that the disk is not
almost full?

> It is strange because I never had issues with this and when I bought
> the router it all worked.

It's not especially strange, if you actually have filled the disk.

Message 2 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

750 GB freespace, so no the disk not not full at all. Besides when I connect it to a pc can copy anything to it! It has to do with the router, but what? I would not be so foolish to post something if the harddisk would exactly be full Man Wink

Thank you for the reply!

Message 3 of 28
antinode
Guru

> 750 GB freespace, so no the disk not not full at all.

Define "big", as in, "I can't copy big files anymore to the disk."

> [...] Besides when I connect it to a pc can copy anything to it!

Define "anything".

> It has to do with the router, but what?

Lame software?  The ReadySHARE file sharing on these routers
apparently relies on a big pile of freeware (of unknown quality) running
on the router's GNU/Linux OS.  It's supposed to work with a wide variety
of disk formats or file systems, and a wide variety of file-sharing
protocols.  I don't use it, so I know nothing, but there seem to be
plenty of complaints about it in these forums.  (I did try some simple
things once, which failed.)  I assume that it gets tested about as well
as most of the software in these routers, which seems to be not at all.
Perhaps it's not all a pile of junk, but you couldn't prove it by me.

If you have a support agreement with Netgear, then you might complain
directly.

> I have the latest update (1.0.2.36) on my router and after that it
> started! [...]

That sounds to me like a clue.  If I were in your place, I'd try
loading older firmware.  New firmware causing new problems seems to be a
characteristic at Netgear.

Message 4 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

Big files like 2 or 3 gb. I could copy a small file like a jpg to it! With anything I mean anything so big files small files, at least the files I wanted to copy (acronis backup images). I would not try to copy something to a hd that would be to big!

The router I mean the router not particularly the software, but something happened for sure after the upgrade. Maybe it is a bug, I don't know but all I know is before the upgrade everything worked fine! And I did reset to the default settings!

I was surpriced the read that you have to pay extra to get support for your router through e-mail or calling! Seems to me that when you have support you should get it and not pay for it extra!

Message 5 of 28
avtella
Prodigy

This happens on the latest R9000 beta as well. Reason is Netgear is trying to use the latest Samba version as Microsoft is removing SMBv1 support so most networking companies are scrambling to Samba 3.6 while Netgear is trying to use 4.6 I believe. They also need to strip the Samba stuff down so it’s small enough to fit in the router firmware and it seems they may have hit a snag somewhere.
Message 6 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

Thank you so much for letting me know! Very usefull information (Kudo)! I knew something must have happened because this is not normal behaveour.

I hope they will fix this soon! Keep me inform if you hear they fixed it please!

Message 7 of 28
klwong36
Tutor

It's definitely a problem with this firmware version.  I saw elsewhere that somebody used the wrong size variable, and ReadyShare just can't handle files larger than 2 GB in size.

Until this bug gets fixed, I have reverted to 1.0.2.32.

This is a shame, since 1.0.2.36 fixes a security vulnerability.  Unfortunately, I really need access to my large files, so I don't have a choice but to revert, and wait for a new (fixed) firmware.

Message 8 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

I knew something was going on, that is why I can't understand why someone would start to ask me if my disk would be full. Unnessasary questions, I would not have ask this question if I saw there was!

Thanks for confirming this problem, hope they solve this quickly because it is pretty irritating!

Message 9 of 28
antinode
Guru

> [...] that is why I can't understand why someone would start to ask me
> if my disk would be full. Unnessasary questions, I would not have ask
> this question if I saw there was!

That's easy to explain.  When your problem description says things
like, "I can't copy big files anymore to the disk," and fails to define
"big", then what should a reasonable reader conclude?  One might
conclude that the person asking the (information-free) question really
doesn't know much.  In such a situation, a request like 'define "big"'
is not an "unnecessary question".

With my weak psychic powers, I have no idea what you know and what
you don't know.  All I know is what you write, and if that stops with
"big files", then I claim that you should expect some "unnecessary"

questions.

Message 10 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

The size of the file is irrelevant! If I would have named a filesize would you then have known the solution? I could copy 1 gb, but not bigger then 2 gb and I don’t think either is really big! It is like saying, I can’t get big things through my door and then someone asks "how big".

I knew this had to be a bug, so the question of “define big” is irrelevant to me! When I drive fast, I hear a rambling in my car and then a person asks “define fast”. Irrelevant, a person knows it is not slow driving and they know what the person means!

I don’t have to have psychic powers to know that you didn’t know what klwong36 and avtella knew Smiley Tongue. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that you responded, but I have been in the IT business for more then 20 years, so trust me when I say, if I can’t fix it then it must be a bug! Otherwise I would have never posted something here and I would have mentioned the file size!Cat Wink

Message 11 of 28
rbird2
Luminary

There is NO doubt that this is a bug in the R7800 1.0.2.36 firmware update. See my post below:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-firmware-update-1-0-2-36-broke-Network...

All we can do is wait for Netgear to fix this bug. I and others have reverted back to firmware version 1.0.2.32. I'm not happy that we have to use version 1.0.2.32 since I was told there were major security vulnerabilities fixed in the 1.0.2.36 firmware.

This bug fix should be a major priority for Netgear but so far we have not seen any update to fix this problem. There have been many people on this forum reporting this problem and so far we have heard nothing from Netgear even acknowledging that they are working on a fix.

Message 12 of 28
antinode
Guru

> [...] I can't copy big files anymore to the disk.

> The size of the file is irrelevant! [...]

Please let me know when you finally decide.

> [...] I have been in the IT business for more then 20 years, so trust
> me [...]

And after all that time in the business, this was the best problem
description that you could offer?  I seem to have missed where you
included your qualifications in your original posting.  And, if you
spent much time reading the postings in these forums, then you might
realize that many of the posters know less than they think that they
know.

> [...] All I know is what you write, [...]

Still true.

Message 13 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

Quoting me on words and then twisting them, you know very well what I mean when I say, the size of the file is irrelevant! I knew what you didn't know and that is it is a bug, so it is irrelevant if the file is 10 gb or 2 gb, it doesn't matter it is a bug!

The problem description is sufficient, everbody knew exactly what I was talking about, you where the only one asking me about the definition of big! Smiley Very Happy

I never said I posted my qualitications in my initial post, even though I know you are joking I can read you don't take it seriously!

@antinode wrote:

And, if you spent much time reading the postings in these forums, then you might
realize that many of the posters know less than they think that they
know.

> [...] All I know is what you write, [...]

Still true.

There you could be right, like asking irrelevent questions. I just joined the forum to ask this question, so I am not familiair with this particular one, but I can tell you that I had so many stupid responses during the years! And all think they know it all and try to turn it around! Now let's stop this useless discussion and hope that Netgear will fix there mistake soon!

Message 14 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

Some stupid person selected Antinode as having the solution and I assume it is Antinote himself because he could not win with words!

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution.

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic:${thread.topicMessage.subject}
Author:${thread.topicMessage.author.login} (${thread.topicMessage.author.ranking.name})
Date:2017-10-06 06:03 PM

> [...] I get the weird message "There is not enough space on
> USB_Storage (\\READYSHARE)".

According to the message (picture), the disk is almost full (750GB
free/2.72TB total).  Do you have some evidence that the disk is not
almost full?

> It is strange because I never had issues with this and when I bought
> the router it all worked.

It's not especially strange, if you actually have filled the disk.

Message 15 of 28
ImryL
Aspirant

Having the same issue, cannot copy files ober 2GB to the drive with the latest firmware.

Don't Netgear QA before releasing? This is such a trivial bug to catch.

Rolled back to 10.0.2.32

Message 16 of 28
rbird2
Luminary

I could be wrong but my guess is that Netgear (as with other companies) is sending it's software development overseas. Once this happens, they loose direct control of the quality and timely bug fixes. Add the language barrier, getting bug information second hand, etc., and it’s a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, this is the world we now have to live with...

Message 17 of 28
DZ-Br
Aspirant

Thanks a lot. Going back to the Firmware 1.0.2.32 fixed the problem. Hope Netgear will fix the problem with a new version...

Message 18 of 28
m4verick
Aspirant

Confirmed!

Firmware 1.0.2.36 broke USB storage over 2GB file copy/move/play availability.

I tried downgrade to 1.0.2.28 and USB was not recognized anymore at all.

Dear Netgear please fix this ASAP.

Message 19 of 28
Aspirant

Absolutely nailed it! I have spent many, many hours troubleshooting, all the while thinking it was me who somehow messed all this up.  I get the exact error message - "not enough space" using Macrium.  I have run through all kinds of Macrium troubleshooting, I have swapped drives into and out of the router, all the while ignoring that low-level buzz in my head that maybe, just maybe, it was the last Netgear firmware upgrade.

I cannot believe how incredibly inept Netgear must be to not even bother to check this stuff before "shipping".  My backups are modest - 50-75 GB, on a 2 TB drive.  But no, that still does not work.

Thank you for identifying the problem and putting the blame squarely where it belongs.

Message 20 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

No solution yet! Also I found out that deleting a big file from the harddisk is a problem and it gives an error message! On Windows 7 it gives this error message on Server 2016 it doesn't and it looks like it deletes it but then when you do F5 or go back and in the directory again it is still there!

Message 21 of 28
KristinaS
Apprentice

@Hulkster wrote:

i use voxels firmware. it is improved build of stock firmware. works like a charm. he corrected many ng's problems and with readyshare [samba] and other bugs too. works much faster and hw accelerated nat is working too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-39sf.41945/

Message 22 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

No idea what is going on but I posted a reply 4 times now and each time when I post it and refresh my reply is gone!Robot Mad

Message 23 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

OMG Kristina you made my day! I upgraded to the latest custom build firmware V1.0.2.40SF (released today) and after upgrading, I didn't have to reset settings and everything works fine now again! No errors when I want to remove a big file like a couple of gigabytes and the most important thing I can now copy large files such as 19 gb of a MKV file, without errors or warnings! So as far as I am concerned, my problem has been solved with the use of the custom firmware! Also the NAS/HDD speed has gone up to 76 MB/s as to where I normally get  between 40 and 60 MB/s!

Also the router is now much faster in everything! Internet loads faster, the pages of the router itself are faster! Also I am sure these custom firmwares are updated much more frequently then the regular ones! I am sure if you upload and use a custom firmware, you won't be able to ask Netgear support anymore! But I didn't have that anyway because you have to pay extra (insane) to get support through telephone or e-mail! So a custom firmware is much quicker and better in most cases! In my case anyway!

Speaking of support, I got reply of Netgear support saying this:

Your case has been escalated to me.

We have a beta firmware here that might possibly fix your issue with ReadySHARE of your R7800. Before I can provide you this version please accept first the None Disclosure Agreement that I will be sending on a separate email.

A possible fix so not even a true fix! First of all I appreciate they contacting me (after such a long time), but I don't like it that I first need to accept a "Non Disclosure Agreement" that they send in a separate e-mail for a beta firmware! I assume it says in there, if something breaks they I can't get a new router or support on it! Anyway, I didn't take the time to respond to that or accept there agreement because I immediately updated to the custom Voxel firmware! Keep in mind they have firmware updates for:

-Netgear NightHawk X4 R7500

-Netgear NightHawk X4S R7800 (the one I have)

-Netgear NightHawk X10 R9000

So sorry for Netgear and the support, but I won't be a guinea pig for this NAS problem! Especially not if you have to agree to a "Non Disclosure Agreement" first!

Kristina thank you so much for your post and you really made my day! Kudo + solution!

Message 24 of 28
Hulkster
Aspirant

Found out why it didn't leave my comment here because of the site link to the custom Voxel firmware! They don't like that obviously! Smiley Frustrated

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7