R7800 Router can't update firmware

chiraldude
Aspirant

R7800 Router can't update firmware

I am trying to update my router firmware but so far can find no way to accomplish this.

From the router interface I click on "Yes" get the firmware and update but the download progress bar goes almost to 100%  then back to 1% and stops.  I left it alone for almost 2 hrs and no change.  Repated several times plus restarted, no change.

I went ot Netgear website and downloaded a firmware file.  Unzipped it and used the manual update function.  The response is that this the wrong firmware.  

Router interface says:

Current firmware: 1.0.1.30

Newest firmware: 1.0.2.46

Netgear website says latest version is: 1.0.2.58

Why are there 2 different firmware versions specified?  Which one should be correct?  How do I get the correct version?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 14
antinode
Guru

Re: R7800 Router can't update firmware

> I went ot Netgear website [...]

The "Netgear website" is a big place.

> [...] and downloaded a firmware file. [...]

Which "a firmware file"?

> [...] Unzipped it [...]

And got what?  And tried to send which file to the router?

> Router interface says:
> Current firmware: 1.0.1.30
> Newest firmware: 1.0.2.46

You're running very old firmware, and the automatic version check is
apparently not up to date.

> Netgear website says latest version is: 1.0.2.58

That's what I see.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

If something fails, then a useful problem report would include actual
actions with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...),
rather than vague descriptions or interpretations.

Message 2 of 14
microchip8
Master

Manually download .58 firmware and using the Web GUI of the firmware to flash it - the firmware has an .img extension. Don't use wifi or phone apps to update firmware. Netgear is having issue on the update server resulting in routers not finding the last uploaded firmware

Having said that, beware that some users have experienced issues on .58. YMMY

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.85SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 3 of 14
chiraldude
Aspirant

@microchip8 wrote:

Manually download .58 firmware and using the Web GUI of the firmware to flash it - the firmware has an .img extension. Don't use wifi or phone apps to update firmware. Netgear is having issue on the update server resulting in routers not finding the last uploaded firmware

Having said that, beware that some users have experienced issues on .58. YMMY

I tried .58 firmware (.img) file unzipped.  Router says "wrong firmware".  Yes, I connected via ethernet cable.  Should I expect an older version to work?  Then upgrade to .58 in round 2?  

Everything is working so is there actually any reason to upgrade?

Message 4 of 14
jocel1fou
Aspirant

Hi!

I experienced exactly the same issue. I fixed it by downloading and flashing first the 1.0.2.46 firmware (.img), and then I was able to switch to the 1.0.2.58 (be aware, the 1.0.2.58 is known to have wifi stability issue, I switched to the Voxel 1.0.2.60SF instead)

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 14
chiraldude
Aspirant

What is "Voxel 1.0.2.60SF"

Beta firmware from Netgear or 3rd party?

Download link or instructions for finding it? 

Message 6 of 14
beakeru2
Tutor

I downloaded the zip r7800-v1.0.2.58  and it tells me file corrupted..   

Using my nighthawk app it tells me my version 1.0.2.52 tells me "no updates avaialable !! Can you believe this crap ???

For the money i paid and the lack of support im fixing to change companies..  Anyone else have any ideas before i take a hammer to this Junk  ??

Message 7 of 14
wenzelja
Star

As others have mentioned, upgrade to 1.0.2.46, then to 1.0.2.58, but do NOT use a phone app to do it; manually upgrade via computer logged into the router that is connected to LAN/ethernet port. SO do the following:

Download 1.0.2.46

flash from router's web GUI

Reset router after flashing.

Download 1.0.2.58

Again, flash from router's web GUI

Reset router after flashing.

Message 8 of 14
chiraldude
Aspirant

Don't smash it, paint it green and hang in Christmas tree this year.  The flashy lights might be nice.

But seriously, is there some reason for updating your router?  Is it performing poorly?  Is there a security fix you really must have?

If it is working and you don't want to buy a new one, leave it alone.  Buy a new router next year when you have a few extra bucks.

If you really want to get rid of it, maybe think about updating it to dd wrt after you buy a new one.  If you brick it, no loss.  If it works, you could sell on eBay.  Maybe get $20 for it?

Probably have to go to a different forum to get advice on that though.Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 14
beakeru2
Tutor

Thank you sir !!   Your tip worked perfectly.. Had to connect wire directly from computer to r7800.. I then 

went here : http://routerlogin.net/ 

I then clicked "Advanced" 

"Administration" 

"firmware update" 

and then to the right I clicked "manually select upgrade file on your hard disk" .. I then clicked browse and located the .img file that was in the previously mentioned Zip...

For the price and the netgear name.. I would have thought all of that was unnecessary !!  They should have made the update available on the nighthawk app.. Poor poor poor planning... I will not be buying anymore netgear stock.. if this is how they put updates out.. 

Really ? why even bother having a "check firmware" section in the nighthawk app if it does not recognize the current released firmware.. 

JUNK !

Message 10 of 14
myersw
Master

@chiraldude wrote:

What is "Voxel 1.0.2.60SF"

Beta firmware from Netgear or 3rd party?

Download link or instructions for finding it? 

Voxel takes the Netgear firmware and fixes issues as well as adding a few features. It installs and looks just like Netgear firmware and can get back to Netgear OEM with just a install, nothing fancy to return should you want to like some 3rd party.

So is Voxel 3rd party? Yes. Does in look and work just like Netgear, but with some fixes? Yes. Here is link. Give it a try should work just fine as he tests on his routers before publishing new firmware. Ran well on my r7800.

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r7800.html

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 11 of 14
jocel1fou
Aspirant

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r7800.html

Basically it's based on Netgear firmware, but it's more optimised and more uptodate. Full presentation of what it is here : Readme - Voxel's Firmware

Message 12 of 14
alexcme
Aspirant

Would recommend monthly check (do it weekly or more frequently if needed) on R7800 support page:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7800.aspx

download new firmware, unzip, and manually upgrade, works fine so far.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 13 of 14
RockerSBM
Guide

Hi 

Just use the genie on your pc it worked for me when it wouldnt download the new firmware i think they pulled the 52 and 58 from the uk newest firmware is 46 dont have problems on this like 52 and 58 have.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements