Chris9393
Tutor

R7800 - Slow download speeds

Hi,
I've recently changed my ISP to Virgin Media 350M and ever since we have had it installed it has been constantly awful. Gaming was impossible even connected via ethernet cable and research suggested it was due to the Super Hub 3.0 and that purchasing another router would fix this issue.

I've just purchased and set up the Nighthawk R7800. All seems to be set up correctly and I am connected to the internet with my VM hub set in modem mode. When I do a speed test my speeds are much lower than what I was originally getting when plugged directly into the router with an ethernet cable. At the minute, my speeds are around 100mb or less on my PC with an ethernet cable.

An ethernet connection into my Xbox One is around 40mb and online gaming is still impossible due to constant lag spikes. I've already posted a few days ago on the VM forum and didn't get much luck. I was hoping that this router would fix all my issues however it hasn't therefore Im just trying my luck with this community.

Is there anything in the settings I need to alter to improve my speeds or is this issue simply lying with VM?

Thank you

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: R7800 - Slow download speeds

Not all of the isp supplied combo devices properly implement bridge/modem only mode. 

Have you tried turning the super hub routing back on and putting the netgear in AP (access point) mode? 

What speeds do you pay for?

What speeds do you get directly connected to the super hub? 

Have you checked your cables? Make sure you're using good cat5e or better cables. 

CM2000-> RAX200-> GS716v2-> EX8000
Message 2 of 8
Chris9393
Tutor

Currently with Virgin Media and pay for 360M broadband and have the Virgin Media Super Hub 3.0.
Originally when connected directly into the SuperHub we were getting close to those speeds however still experienced terrible lag on the Xbox One when connected with an ethernet cable.

I haven't tried putting the Netgear into AP mode yet, how would I go about doing this?

Were currently using the ethernet cable which was provided with the Netgear to plug into the SuperHub. I've also purchased new Cat6 and Cat7 cables for the Xbox and PC.
Message 3 of 8
Chris9393
Tutor

Apologies, just an update. I've put my router into AP mode and now I have completely no Internet what so ever. I've tried resetting the router and modem but that hasn't fixed the issue.

When trying to connect my devices to the router it says that it can't gather an IP address. This is stopping me from accession the router directly and taking it out of AP mode. Do you know how I can take my router out of AP mode back to default?
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can get it out by resetting (pushing and holding reset while powered on for 7-15 seconds).

If you're trying out AP mode, the modem/router combo device needs to be out of bridge mode. something has to assign dhcp and if the router's in ap mode and the modem/router device is in bridge mode, nothing is doing so. 

Message 5 of 8
Chris9393
Tutor

Thank you. I've managed to get it back into router mode and up and running again however still facing the latency issues with online gaming on the Xbox. I've ran 3 different speed tests and had 3 completely different download speeds.

Test 1 download speed of 170mmb
Upload 8mmbps
Latency 53ms
Packer loss 0%

Test 2 download speed of 318.58mmbps
Upload 26.10mmbps
Latency 31ms
Packet loss 0%

Test 3 download speed of 165.39mmbps
Upload 27.12mmbps
Latency 112ms
Packet Loss 0%

These results are from a wired connection from the xbox into the Netgear router. Would this issue be with VM?
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Potentially. 

Its also hard with gaming to go off gaming pings. If the server has to go through a few jumps or is far enough away, that's whats going to increase ping/latency as well

Message 7 of 8
Chris9393
Tutor

I understand that however with our old ISP I never experience any lag what so ever. Im pretty confident that I have the Netgear router up and running perfectly and the problem is lying on Virgin Media.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements