Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Speed Issue

CSProf1
Aspirant

R7800 Speed Issue

Looking for some help/advice.  I have an R7800 that I've had for a couple of years (great router, been very happy with it).  I just upgraded my cable Internet service to a 400MB service.  I'm consistently getting 450+Mbps for a download speed from the cable modem but only seeing about 200+Mbps through my R7800.  I've got the latest firmware update (V1.0.2.74) and am hardwired into the router (use the same cable to connect and check the modem as well as the router).

I have a gigabit connection to the router and the R7800 itself is seeing 475+ Mbps when I have it do a speed test (so I know the cable from the router to the modem is good).  I've tried several different QoS settings including disablling it entirely.  I'm fresh out of ideas and thought I'd see if anyone here had any suggestions?

About the only thing I haven't tried is a 30-30-30 reset (because I don't want to have to reconfigure everything) but I will if I have to.  If I save off the router configuration, do the reset and then restore the configuration will that just bring the problem back in?  Or is it possibly something internal in the router that needs to reset itself?

Thanks in advance for any help!  👍👍👍

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7800 Speed Issue

Some thoughts:

When you are changing, configuring, testing, etc. dismount/disconnect your USB drive and leave it off until you sort out your problems.

Do not restore a configuration file that was created with a different version of firmware.

Install the Voxell firmware for the X4S.  https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Prior to trying the reset what you can do is disable access control, traffic monitoring, qos, and parental controls. The reboot the router and test it. 

If that doesn't work, then I'd try the reset. 

Message 2 of 7
CSProf1
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions.  Access control, traffic monitoring, qos and parental controls are all disabled.  I rolled back the firmware version to 1.0.2.68, then did a restore configuration, no change.  Then did a wipe and a complete manual rebuild, no change (actually that's not true, things got worse).  So wiped and restored from my configuration save.  Got speed back up to mid-200s but still no where near what I see at the modem (~500down/30up).  I'm starting to fear this just isn't going to work.  If not then I'll be looking for new router because I'm getting tired of fighting this battle.  Shame too, I always liked this router.

Absoflutely open to other suggestions.  To date I've:

1) physically moved the router right next to the modem and used different Cat6e cables to make sure it's not a cabling issue (no change)

2) disconnected all devices except my desktop computer (turned off wireless also) so that my computer was the only one using the connection (no change)

3) did a soft reset using the OS on the router, then restored the configuration from a save (no change)

4) did a hard reset with the reset button on the back of the router, then restored the configuration (no change)

5) physically moved the router back to its usual location and plugged everything back in (network cables and usb drive) (no change)

6) did a soft reset then rebuilt the configuration manually from scratch (things got much worse)

7) restored the configuration from a save when #6 made things worse (that's puzzling) (back to original ~200s)

😎 upgraded firmware to 1.0.2.74, rebooted then restored configuration from save (finally, some improvement)

With the last change (#8) I'm now seeing speeds in the mid to upper 300s (and an occasional 400+).  For now I'm gonna stop.  Not going to call it solved, so if anyone else has any ideas, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks all, really appreciate the suggestions!!

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

What cable modem is it? 

Message 4 of 7
CSProf1
Aspirant

It's a brand new Hitron Docsis 3.1.  Cable company just came out yesterday and installed it because the previous modem wouldn't get my speed up to the 400+ service I had upgraded to.

Message 5 of 7
Kitsap
Master

Some thoughts:

When you are changing, configuring, testing, etc. dismount/disconnect your USB drive and leave it off until you sort out your problems.

Do not restore a configuration file that was created with a different version of firmware.

Install the Voxell firmware for the X4S.  https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html 

Message 6 of 7
CSProf1
Aspirant

All:

Thanks very much for the feedback and suggestions.  I finally got the problem resolved.  To summarize here's a short list of everything I did:

1) physically moved the router right next to the modem and used different Cat6e cables to make sure it's not a cabling issue (no change)

2) disconnected all devices except my desktop computer (turned off wireless also) so that my computer was the only one using the connection (no change)

3) did a soft reset using the OS on the router, then restored the configuration from a save (no change)

4) did a hard reset with the reset button on the back of the router, then restored the configuration (no change)

5) physically moved the router back to its usual location and plugged everything back in (network cables and usb drive) (no change)

6) did a soft reset then rebuilt the configuration manually from scratch (things got much worse)

7) restored the configuration from a save when #6 made things worse (that's puzzling) (back to original ~200s)

😎 upgraded firmware to 1.0.2.74, rebooted then restored configuration from save (finally, some improvement)

9) reviewed and tweaked all settings based on the feedback/suggestions from this forum (again, THANK YOU!)

So the problem finally cleared up.  The real solution?  I had the cable R6 coax from the pole to the house replaced.  It turned out the squirrels had been chewing on the line and it finally failed necessitating having the cable company come out and replace the cable and check everything over.  I'm now consistently seeing speeds in the 450+down and 30+up ranges

Thanks all, really appreciate the suggestions!!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7