Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Speed Issues

theanalogkid7
Aspirant

R7800 Speed Issues

I just got my R7800 set up and was hoping you all might be able help explain something to me.  I upgraded to the R7800 from an Apple Extreme Basestation, and was expecting to get at least comporable results with the R7800.  I seem to be seeing speeds about half of what I was previously, and the transfer rates to the devices are also looking to be about half.  I realize that it's unrealistic to expect advertised ISP speeds, but I would hope I'd get at least similar speeds as I was form the Airport Extreme.

Is there something I might be missing, or am I just needing to reset my expectations?

Thanks!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
avtella
Prodigy

Re: R7800 Speed Issues

It literally has the best 5Ghz performance and range of any consumer router. Speeds and range should be significantly greater than the Airport assuming you have capable clients. Are you sure you didn’t set the router to lower than 1733 mode (80Mhz). I get around 480 Mbps DL / 320 UL to my NAS from my laptop using a 2x2 Intel 7260ac adapter this is one floor below the router. Also make sure you aren’t using DFS channels because if it detects military/weather radars it will boot the router off those channels. Try Channels 36-44 149-167, maybe with 48 it’s trying to use some of the DFS channels to create the 80Mhz width and its detecting radar causing it to drop to 40Mhz.

Also make sure if you have QoS turned on, you tweaked the device priorities to suite your needs otherwise speeds could be lower. If you have higher tier ISP speeds like 250Mbps-Gigabit with comparable upload speeds you’re better off without QoS.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
theanalogkid7
Aspirant

Also, I wanted to add, I am on 5GHz.  I did notice that it shows it's on channel 48 at 40MHz, where I believe the previous router I had was at 80MHz.

Message 2 of 4
avtella
Prodigy

It literally has the best 5Ghz performance and range of any consumer router. Speeds and range should be significantly greater than the Airport assuming you have capable clients. Are you sure you didn’t set the router to lower than 1733 mode (80Mhz). I get around 480 Mbps DL / 320 UL to my NAS from my laptop using a 2x2 Intel 7260ac adapter this is one floor below the router. Also make sure you aren’t using DFS channels because if it detects military/weather radars it will boot the router off those channels. Try Channels 36-44 149-167, maybe with 48 it’s trying to use some of the DFS channels to create the 80Mhz width and its detecting radar causing it to drop to 40Mhz.

Also make sure if you have QoS turned on, you tweaked the device priorities to suite your needs otherwise speeds could be lower. If you have higher tier ISP speeds like 250Mbps-Gigabit with comparable upload speeds you’re better off without QoS.
Message 3 of 4
theanalogkid7
Aspirant

I'm not sure what happened, but I changed the channel to 149 and it didn't seem to resolve the issue.  I ended up changing it back to 48 and the signal is now much better.  I'm getting 80Mhz, and speed tests are showing much better results.  I did end up also turning off QoS, too.

We'll see if this lasts.  I'll remember your suggestions if I need to make any furthur changes.

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7