• 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R7800 Stopped Working

The darn thing just stopped working.  Confirmed it wasn't the service after I swapped out with the old router.  Tried to reset.  Nothing.  Lights come on, but nothing is working.  Can't login into routerlogin.net, since I don't have internet.  Unclear what I should do next.  Worked one mintute and then poof.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: R7800 Stopped Working

Well Dagnabbit anyaways.....

Page 71 of the User Manual

Use the WiFi On/Off Button
To turn the WiFi radios off and on with the WiFi On/Off button:
• Press the WiFi On/Off button on the top of the router for two seconds. If you turned off the WiFi radios, the WiFi On/Off LED and the WPS LED turn off. If you turned on the WiFi radios, the WiFi On/Off LED and the WPS LED light.

My guess is that ewe "Fat Fingered" that WiFi On/Off button....

Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] Tried to reset. Nothing. [...]

"Tried"?  How, exactly?  What, exactly, happened when you "Tried"
whatever you "Tried"?  Which kind of "Nothing" is that?

> [...] Lights come on, [...]

_Which_ "Lights"?  Which color is "on"?

> [...] but nothing is working. [...]

_Which_ "thing"(s) did you try, exactly?

> [...] Can't login into routerlogin.net, since I don't have internet.
> [...]

Nonsense.  "routerlogin.net" should lead to your own router, not to
some site in the outside world.  Did you try it, or did you just decide
that it couldn't work?

> [...] Unclear what I should do next. [...]

No, it's very clear.  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your
model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at
least).  Read.  Look for the LED descriptions and "Troubleshoot".

If you still have questions or problems, then you might try providing
a useful problem description.  Yours does not say what you did.  It does
not say what happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions
(commands) with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators,
...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

Message 3 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

The router turns on, that isn't the problem.  The router ain't doing what it is designed to do.

Message 4 of 16
Highlighted

@BGeese1999 wrote:

The router turns on, that isn't the problem.  The router ain't doing what it is designed to do.

... and we ain't got enough information to diagnose this by remote control. We need your help.

You could start by answering some of the questions you were asked.

The R7800 has more than a dozen lights on the top. Be a sport, tell us which ones are on and what they look like.

Start at the left, what about the power LED? Then the one next to it? They are the first two to look at. Colour? State? (on/off/flashing)

I assume that there is a modem somewhere. What is it? Make? Model?

What does "reset" mean to you? I ask because some people use that tag to describe the on/off (power cycle) move rather than the recessed reset button.

You said earlier:

"Can't login into routerlogin.net, since I don't have internet."

That shows a misunderstanding at your end. You don't need an internet connection to login to  routerlogin.net.

So, tell us what you are doing, in detail, and where it goes wrong.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Thanks Michael,

Like yourself and many others of us volunteers who are here to help, we can't do didly with descriptions reminant of "My Car Won't Start, Why" replies.

We can lead a horse.... as you already know.....

Thanks for your effort to "squeeze" pertinent information out of an individual so that "we volunteers" might be helpfull and able to assist them....

...and then, more than once.... get snubbed as being rude and sarcastic....

Kudos bro...

Message 6 of 16
Highlighted

@additude wrote:

...and then, more than once.... get snubbed as being rude and sarcastic....

Then again, there are people who deserve those chastisements.

Just as I expect courtesy, and a bit of intelligence, from the people who seek help, I can't see why anyone offering it should be rude and deliberately offensive.

No, I am not pointing any fingers in your direction. I loved "Dagnabbit anyaways". Made me smile.

Have you noticed how covid-19 has drummed up a lot of new business here? I fear that we have to make allowances for that. Lots of people thrown to the wolves and forced to work at home. They need support, no insults. But they also need to help us.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 16
Prodigy

@BGeese1999 wrote:

And you ain't going to get much help without providing info. 

Things like what it the firmware installed, number not just something like latest.

What happens when you try to connect? 

What is the client when you try and is it wired or wireless. 

Little things like that would make it so we could understand what the issue is, not something like it don't work. 

Modem CM1150V
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Michael,

I agree with what you said, but some folks, whom I am going to assume are ADULTS, come with the "Wheels on my car are not turning, Why".... mentality.... but as you said, They have come for help... so play nice..

I will take your advise...

But yes, I agree that since people have isolated, this place has seen a lot more business.... which is interresting in it's own way....

A majority of these issues are pre-existing..... unknown apparently and undiscovered prior....

Message 9 of 16
Highlighted
Prodigy

@additude wrote:

But yes, I agree that since people have isolated, this place has seen a lot more business.... which is interresting in it's own way....

A majority of these issues are pre-existing..... unknown apparently and undiscovered prior....

I suspect some of it folks put with the problem. Things like having to reboot the router every so often. Now with them working from home and maybe even on a video conference bridge all of a sudden that little problem has bloomed up to a big probem. 

Modem CM1150V
Message 10 of 16
Highlighted

There has also been a trickle of messages from people trying to add business stuff to their networks. Things like mobile routers and VPNs.

At work they probably turned to the IT department. Now they expect the same sort of support for a consumer grade box that cost less than the IT crowd spends on paperclips.

Then there are users suddenly trying to accommodate a whole family of folks trying to live on-line lives.

But we seem to have digressed. It doesn't help @BGeese1999 who, by their failure to answer questions posed here, seems to have given up on trying to fix things. Perhaps their own IT folks stepped in.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Spent two hours on the phone with Netgear last night and got nowhere.  We were inside the advanced wireless setup (routerlogin.com) trying to figure out why the router's 2.4 and 5G weren't functioning when everything suggested it should.  I know it isn't the service coming into the house because I swapped out the new for the old and it works.  Long story short, they are sending me a new router.  I suspect it is something simple inside the settings that was overlooked or not understood by the rep I was dealing with.  Crazy the thing went from working great one moment to not working at all - it's a 2-mo old unit and no previous issues.  

Everything that was supposed to be enabled was enabled and everything that is supposed to be disabled was disabled.  Try hard and soft resets: reset for 7 seconds, 30 seconds, and 1 minute, and nothing worked. Can only suspct that something changed or became minipulated inside the software instructions/setting...just don't know where.  

Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Well I am happy to hear that you have a new router on the way.

It's entirely possible that one of the components on the circuit board ceased functioning....

I wish you luck and I hope you get up and running...

Of course you may want to try a FW update.

1. Factory Reset

2. FW update from cable connected computer

3. Another Factory Reset

4. Enter all settings by hand manually. Not from saved config file

Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've learned a lot about routers since this started, but not sure if I want or have the confidence to re-write the settings and parameters.  Think I will just wait until I get the new one tomorrow.  

Thanks,

Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Sure, I understand.

One way I do it is to use Print Screen.... That key on your keyboard that typically has "prt scr" and then save those images one by one and refer to them when I need them.

You really only need to Print Screen the pages that you have manually changed. The default settings can be ignored.

Message 15 of 16
Highlighted

@additude wrote:

One way I do it is to use Print Screen.... That key on your keyboard that typically has "prt scr" and then save those images one by one and refer to them when I need them.

Print Screen is even more useful.

It homes in on the details that matter and delivers smaller files.

Just another user.

Message 16 of 16