Re: R7800 Strreamboost update almost a year old

Killhippie
Prodigy

R7800 Strreamboost update almost a year old

Has Netgear got any plans to update the R7800 QoS Streamboost database at all? The prersent update I have is from June 2016, now I'm pretty sure with all the new games, hardware etc thats come out since then and the data harvasted from the routers themselves Netgear have no real reason not to have kept these up to date. So are Netgear going to sort the Streamboost updates situation out, as having a set of rules in an update thats almost a year old is pretty disapointing.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't seen any issues with what QoS is currently doing. Probalby not much need for an update maybe due to no major changes in how games are operated on or networked or new performance configurations seen.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle, DST and Traffic Meter>Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 12
Killhippie
Prodigy

I know some in the gamer community have said some new games are not recognised by the Streamboost QoS also there has been changes in new game consoles as well, which now using 802ac, not the old 2.4Ghz standard, and we also have 4K gaming now with the PS4 Pro with updated CPU and GPU. There is still no section for airplay speakers and no updated section for the iPhone 7 the last update being the 6s/6s+. So I still think after a year there have been enough changes to warrant an update personally, considering the updates were very regular when the router first came out. I always belived streamboost updates were a little more regular than yearly but I could be wrong.

Of course if Netgear were sorting out the fact the R7800 is set to run at 1.4Ghz not the actual claimed 1.7Ghz and are updating all the old GPL code, so we don't have out of date versions of OpenSSL with some Netgear routers still using version 0.9.8 which is over ten years old and which has multiple vulnerabilities that would be great. The R7800 is running 1.02h at present which also has vulnerabilities. All current routers should have code updates with each firmware release to the latest versions as a matter of basic security, along with say the ten year old version of miniupnd that netgear uses in its routers. However I doubt any of these updates are happening either but it would be great if Netgear got on top of security. At this time along with the 11 month old Streamboost QoS update it does feels a little like Netgear just cant be bothered.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if Streamboost is the same as another router Mfr that used Streamboost a couple of years ago, I presume this is owned by Qualcomm. There was many issues surrounding SB and how it was working back then. Not sure if anything has changed since then. Depending on what Streamboost actually supports and what the developers see as needed and I'm sure as over time, things do or may need updating however it takes time for development and testing so that all things will work with streamboost. Just not only PS and 4K stuff. 4K gaming would be most graphics and shouldn't effect networking. Iphones are pretty much the same when It comes to networking as well.

Loaded Voxels FW the other day on my 7800 and still notice that QoS is still dated for last year. SO I presume this is it's own separate entity. Maybe NG support or engineering will need to review and see what needs to be done. May not be actively looking at it as there hasn't been alot of talk about QoS either. People are pushing for the R9000 QoS feature since that didn't come with it and users are frustrated about that for such a spendy unit.

Something you might want to contact NG support about and see if there is any information about this...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle, DST and Traffic Meter>Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 12
VicBehrens12
Tutor

I'm very interested in the outcome of this as well.  I don't have a lot of bandwidth, hence why I bought the X4s as it "prioritises gaming traffic".  However when viewing the bandwidth by application, the X4s still recognises most of my gaming traffic as normal web traffic when viewed under the attached devices menu.  I have given the highest priority to the PS4 Pro, and set all streaming devices and services to normal.  Whenever I play games and someone else streams, my game becomes unplayable.  It shouldnt though, because HD streaming uses about 10-12mbps, and my connection is a stable 30mbps.

How do i get the router to recognise gaming traffic as gaming traffic, not normal web traffic?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems to have been updated:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-QOS-UPDATED-TO-APRIL-2017/m-p/1276721#...

Message 6 of 12
VicBehrens12
Tutor

Jip, checked last night and the update was already loaded. 

I tested it with gaming traffic, and see that it changed most of my gaming packets from "general web" to "Streaming / VOIP" traffic.  Is this normal?  Shouldn't it be classified as pure gaming traffic?  If streamboost see my BF1 / Overwatch online gaming as "Streaming / Voice" traffic, it means I'm essentially competing for bandwidth on the same prioritization level as Netflix and other streaming services.  This is very confusing for a product that sells as a gaming router?

Can someone from Netgear shed some light on this?

Message 7 of 12
mondenath
Prodigy

It shouldnt be. How are you connecting the ps4 pro to x4s. Wired or wireless.

I did tested games and even put heavy traffic say 100Mbps and still i can play games in the same pc which is consuming 95% of the bandwidth.

Might be the way you connect or the connection type has something to do with latency issue.

Message 8 of 12
mondenath
Prodigy

One more thing. Its hard to put 10000's of games into a database which will consume more space and irrelevant for the router to run through all the game and then act accordingly.

As per my view they would have picked top 100 or 250 games max to ensure they are getting the right pack delivery .

Message 9 of 12
VicBehrens12
Tutor

I agree, they can't put every single game in the database.  But my understanding of streamboost is that it doesn't work on a database of games, it looks at the actual packets themselves to determine the type and what kind of traffic it should be.  The communication used by most online FPS will essentially be very similar, so surely the streamboost protocol is looking for any gaming type traffic, not specifically what Battlefield traffic looks like in the database, or Overwatch traffic or Call of Duty traffic?  Doesn't it apply the same protocol to streaming, ie it doesn't care if you're streaming Netflix vs Amazon vs Youtube, it just prioritises the data as streaming traffic over something else like FTP or torrent downloads?

My PS4 is wired directly to the X4s

Message 10 of 12
mondenath
Prodigy

Ok did you tried to connect via 5ghz AC band of PS4 pro and see if that helps.

I know lan is better than wireless. But QOS mostly steered to wireless devices than Wired but bandwidth allocation.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

QoS is a uplink bandwidth process, not tailored to wired or wireless connections specifically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

WMM is a form of wireless QoS for wireless connetions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Multimedia_Extensions

Streamboost info:

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2013/01/04/qualcomm-introduces-streamboost-technology-optimiz...

Wired LAN connections are best for gaming PCs and consoles. 5Ghz is ok if the device is fairly close to the wifi radio.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements