R7800 - Using the same SSID and password for 2.4 and 5Ghz

Goldmt2
Initiate

R7800 - Using the same SSID and password for 2.4 and 5Ghz

I configured my router last night using the same SSID and password for both 2.4 and 5.0Ghz and everything is connected, so I know it's POSSIBLE to configure my router this way.  However, this device does not have Smart Connect, so based off what I've read online, it sounds like the wireless devices will connect to whatever it "sees" (for lack of a better term) first.  So bottom line...I'm getting connection, but am not sure this is the optimal setup. 

Is there any recommendations out there on what I should do?  Is SSID "xxxx" for everything fine...or should I have SSID "xxx2.4" and SSID "xxx5"?  

Thank you.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Re: R7800 - Using the same SSID and password for 2.4 and 5Ghz

They are not same, LOL! 2.4 and 5 is different identifying 2.4GHz band and 5GHz band. So you know which band you are on.

Message 2 of 6
Goldmt2
Initiate

Yep, I know 2.4 and 5 isn't the same.  But I guess what I was getting at was that like for the R8000 you could have the exact same SSID for eveyrthing and between load balancing and smart connect the router intelligently assinged devices to the right frequencies.  I don't believe that exists for the 7800 so the question really was...if I set up the R7800 exaclty like many people set up the R8000 (same SSID) is it a big deal or do I need to keep the 2.4 SSID and the 5 SSID seperate. 

I'm probalby not making much sense.  Sorry.   I'm sure it's a simple topic and I'm even confusing myself.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

I myself use R7800 for our modest home network. For my need glorified dual bander is over kill for me. Yes, you can have perfectly identical

SSID if you like. But I use different ones.

Message 4 of 6

Your call. I have used both strategies. I prefer keeping the separate, with a -5G indicator for that one.

It makes it easier to aim old kit at the slower one.

But after a device has made a connection it usually remembers which one to go for.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

There are pros and cons to using the same SSID for both bands.

Pros:

• Easier to manage: Only one SSID to program on everything
  • Potentially more seamless roaming.  When devices see the same SSID on multiple bands or even multiple channels on the same band, they'll know that they can hop frequencies without going through the rigmarole of obtaining a new IP address.

Cons:

• Potentially less efficient load balancing.  Without something like Smart Connect, devices become the sole decision makers in choosing which band or channel to use.  They often behave in ways we don't expect or prefer, such as camping on a channel even though a stronger, faster one is available.  This is a factor when spacing out multiple Access Points.  You don't want the coverage overlap to be too high or too low.  With a dual-band router the overlap, of course, is nearly 100%.  Some devices can make better choices with the assistance of protocols, like 802.11k and 802.11v, but many home routers do not support them.  Hopefully we will see them offer it in future products.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements