Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 VPN Access

robkevwitch
Aspirant

R7800 VPN Access

When will the R7800 support Android and iOS tablets and phones.  Seems odd to me that the newest model is missing key features that the older models currently support.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7800 VPN Access

@robkevwitch What's the firmware version of your router?

The OpenVPN support was added on firmware version 1.0.1.28.

If you have the latest firmware, you should be able to use OpenVPN for iOS and Android.

See this link on how to configure OpenVPN for Android and this link for iOS.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

What do you mean by support?

Message 2 of 9
Richard1864
Luminary

My 2 iPhone 6s Plus, 2 iPad Minis and 2 iPad Pro's are all working fine with the R7800 ever since it was available for purchase. They even make VPN connections with no problem. Like LeeH asks above, what do you mean by support? What features are missing?
Message 3 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi robkevwitch,

For now the router that supports Android and iOS for OpenVPN is R7000 and other models will be available on future FW releases including the R7800.

Message 4 of 9
Halljust
Aspirant

I think the confusion is that on this page: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7800.aspx#tab-techspecs it clearly states:

• Now with OpenVPN Connect app on iOS and Android, securely access your home network from your mobile device.

This seems to indicate that is is a currently available feature, when clearly it is not.

Message 5 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please check this thread. It will be added in the future firmware release.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-and-iOS-compatible-OpenVPN/m-p/1066742...

Message 6 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information I have provided answers your inquiry. If yes, please mark my reply as the "Accepted Solution".

Message 7 of 9
robkevwitch
Aspirant

This doesn't really answer the question because, at least to my knowledge, VPN still isn't available for Android and iOS.  I would still like to see VPN for both mobile options as previous models have had.

Message 8 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@robkevwitch What's the firmware version of your router?

The OpenVPN support was added on firmware version 1.0.1.28.

If you have the latest firmware, you should be able to use OpenVPN for iOS and Android.

See this link on how to configure OpenVPN for Android and this link for iOS.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7