Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 VPN service broken by Firmware V1.0.2.86

DANNG
Aspirant

R7800 VPN service broken by Firmware V1.0.2.86

The latest Router Firmware Version V1.0.2.86 for the R7800 causes the VPN service to stop working. Creating a new OpenVPN profile doesnt solve the problem. Please advise.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 10
DANNG
Aspirant

Re: R7800 VPN service broken by Firmware V1.0.2.86

Update: The VPN service works. The problem was that the Firmware update did not preserve the MAC address configuration of the router. The update changes the Router MAC Address setting from "Use This MAC Address" to "Use Computer MAC Address" This caused our router to be assigned a random DHCP address instead of the Static IP it should have been assigned. 

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the router after the new FW was installed and then setup from scratch? 

Message 3 of 10
DANNG
Aspirant

Hello.

No, I did not Factory reset. I went through all other settings to verify nothing else was changed. Only the router MAC address setting was changed by the update.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

A reset maybe needed.

Message 5 of 10

@DANNG wrote:

The latest Router Firmware Version V1.0.2.86 for the R7800 causes the VPN service to stop working. Creating a new OpenVPN profile doesnt solve the problem. Please advise.

Have you tried rolling back the firmware? That would confirm if it is a firmware things.

Message 6 of 10
bswearin
Aspirant

I just installed firmware v1.0.2.86 from v1.0.2.84 on my R7800 router and now my router won't connect to the Internet when it was doing just fine with V1.0.2.84.  I am having to use my phone's wifi hotspot to get to this community site.  How do I rollback the firmware from v1.0.2.86 back to v1.0.2.84?

Message 7 of 10

@bswearin wrote:

I just installed firmware v1.0.2.86 from v1.0.2.84 on my R7800 router and now my router won't connect to the Internet when it was doing just fine with V1.0.2.84. 

Where does this fit into the earlier discussion from @DANNG about the VPN. (We haven't heard from them for 10 days.)

Do you have a VPN that you think is preventing the R7800 from connecting?

All that we know about your setup is that you have updated the firmware on the router. We know none of the important background details.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

How do I rollback the firmware from v1.0.2.86 back to v1.0.2.84?

Visit the support pages for your hardware.

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in the model number and there will be a list of available firmware versions.

You can pick whichever version you like. The release notes should explain how to put the firmware on your device. The manual will also have details on how to install firmware manually.

Or read this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 8 of 10
bswearin
Aspirant

Sorry, I probably should have started a new thread.  When I wrote my response, this thread was the only thing I found specifically for the V1.0.2.86 firmware update so I just added my issue.  I was attached to the internet through my phone's wifi hotspot since, after several reboots of the router, I still couldn't see the internet.  Still rebooting the router while I was in the discussion, the router finally connected to the internet so the issue is resolved.

Message 9 of 10

@bswearin wrote:

Sorry, I probably should have started a new thread. 

That would have been an excellent idea.

....this thread was the only thing I found specifically for the V1.0.2.86 firmware update... 

An indication that, unlike some other recent firmware updates, this one hadn't hit many other people.

Still rebooting the router while I was in the discussion, the router finally connected to the internet so the issue is resolved.

If you have problems after a firmware update, there is a set of things to try, with escalating complexity.

• Don't panic
  • Reboot the router
  • Reboot the network -- modem followed by router, with the recommended timing and manner
  • Factory Reset the router
  • Panic.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7