Highlighted
Tutor

R7800 and iOS / Apple issues with 5GHz

I've seen a few posts around where people have reported similar issues with Apple devices and the R7800, but no response from Netgear regarding the issue, and whether anything is being done to address it. Right now the R7800 is virtually useless with seemingly any recent Apple devices.

My Apple clients include an iPad Pro, 2013 Macbook Pro, and a couple of iPhone 6S. I have no issues with my other devices.

Essentially when woken from sleep or if wifi is switched off and on quickly on any of the Apple devices, they either refuse to connect to the 5GHz band or take a minute or two of trying to connect before they succeed.

The other (minor) issue is the attached devices reporting is plain wonky on the R7800 - a number of devices appear to fail to report correctly either missing hostnames or even in some cases IP addresses.

I'm on the latest 1.0.0.40 firmware (UK model).

I happen to have two R7800 and this behaviour is consistent between them. I've also used a (Broadcom based) Asus RT-88U which has none of these issues, neither did the Netgear R8000 before it.

I fully except there may be some issues with Apple and there wireless implementation, however given the other Broadcom based products have no issues connecting I'm wondering whether this is a QCA issue, or unique to the R7800.

Has anyone experience similar issues with the R7500v2 for example (which is basically the same hardware)?

Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: R7800 and iOS / Apple issues with 5GHz

Same issues here, apart from when waking from sleep they connect instantly. (I use adress reservation so no issues with IP adresses)  have you contacted Support? It took me ages but I think they finally understood. It would be interesting to see if the R7500v2 does it too. Apple devices mainly use Broadcom chips so maybe there is a pointer there.

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Prodigy

Just checked the R7500v2 and it seems to have a QCA9980 wifi Chip wjhere as the R7800 has a QCA9984 what the difference is I dont know, but maybe the fault lays there. Also the R7800 is 4x4:4 all the way though. I belive on 2.4Ghz the R7500v2 is 3x3:3 but 4x4:4 on an+ac. I could be wrong on that though as there seems to be some conflicting information and I need more coffee.

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Tutor

Not contacted support yet as I was really after finding out whether it was a known issue first. I'm guessing they'll get around to fixing the issue at some point but at the moment the R7800 is unusable for me with this issue. It is a shame because I actually think the R7800 shows real promise with both working MU-MIMO and 160MHz.

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Tutor

@Killhippie wrote:

Just checked the R7500v2 and it seems to have a QCA9980 wifi Chip wjhere as the R7800 has a QCA9984 what the difference is I dont know, but maybe the fault lays there. Also the R7800 is 4x4:4 all the way though. I belive on 2.4Ghz the R7500v2 is 3x3:3 but 4x4:4 on an+ac. I could be wrong on that though as there seems to be some conflicting information and I need more coffee.

I think the main difference between the two is actually the 160MHz support which comes in the QCA9984, and obviously as your pointed out the 7500v2 is 3 stream on the 2.4GHz band but 4 stream on 5GHz.

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Prodigy

160mhz is not enabled by default though so that should in theory not effect things. Time will tell. Maybe once the router gets wifi certified it may be ironed out. 

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Prodigy

Mine connects fine which is odd it's just the fast connect issue. It's worth contacting them as the more people do the more information they can gather to fix things. If you have 160mhz turned on turn it off then your idevices should stay connected. My iPad I iMac and iPhone do as I mentioned, it's just the fast reboot that's the big issue.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements