Re: R7800 and the Missing IPTV/VLAN feature

R7800 and the Missing IPTV/VLAN feature

Hey there guys,

iam owner of the new R7800,

it´s the first Netgear Router with 160MHz Channel and a QCA IPQ 8065 Chip with 1,7GHz (Dualcore). Testing it now for 1+ Week, seems to Run very Smooth. No Issues so far.

But there´s one thing iam totallyed annoyed at..... the router costs about 300 euro or dollar, but didn´t have the IPTV/VLAN Feature like the cheaper R7000 or the R8000.

I Love the Streamboost feature from QCA and thats the reason i bought the router along with the MU-MIMO and 160 MHz feature. But IPTV/VLAN is very important to me as well.

My Provider sends all internet data over VLAN 7 and the IPTV data over VLAN 8, so if i had´t a managed switch (connected between the internet modem and the router) which cares about this VLAN settings, the 300 euro router is totally useless.

So please Netgear add the IPTV / VLAN feature to the R7800 in one of ur next Firmware updates, other Vendoors which uses the QCA IPQ SoC also have added vlan abillity to their router after the release per firmware updates (Asrock G10) And u added the feature to the R7000 after release 😉

What u guys think about high price Router´s without VLAN ?

Message 1 of 30
Richard1864
Luminary

It's coming soon, along with remote access via Netgear Genie. I believe within the next update or two. I already asked about via phone call last month.
Message 2 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi nWoMaverick,

Richard1864 is correct. This will be added in the future firmware releases. 

Message 3 of 30
letsfooty
Aspirant

great to see have been using this for last year, taken this to france at uefa euro 2016

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 30
Campaillette
Aspirant

Dear,

I've just to buy a R7800 router and I would like know if the IPTV/VLAN feature is now implement in this router ?

If no can you please communicate a implement date ?

Thanks

Regards

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 5 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi Campaillette,

What is the firmware version of the router?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 30
Campaillette
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I've the latest V1.0.2.04... I've read in the release note of the differents firmware and I've found the implement of this founction Smiley Very Happy.

I've tested this option for connectect the freebox modem to th freebox TV (freebox uses VLAN 100 for the video stream) but this not function Smiley Sad (the tv box don't find the modem).

Freebox Modem <-------> WAN | R7800 | Port 1 <-------->Freebox TV

In option IPTV/VLAN I've configure the VLAN 100 and i've tick port 1.

Have you a idea for my problem? Most people on the internet use vlan 100 tagged with manageable switch without soucy. Bur for a router can't find help...

Thanks

Message 7 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi Campaillette,

Please check this IPTV configuration for the router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29911/~/configuring-vlan-iptv-setup-on-your-nighthawk-...

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 8 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi Campaillette,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 9 of 30
Campaillette
Aspirant

Hi JamesGL,

Sorry for my later response...

I've apply the configuration of your link but this not function 😞

I think have a problem for Freebox TV to get her IP Address (the link between freebox modem et freebox TV use a specific dhcp ip address by freebox modem ( 212.27.xxx.xxx) ).
The freebox TV waiting the network connexion and can't get ip address.

Regards

Message 10 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi Campaillette,

Can you check with your ISP if the FreeTV box needs to be configured in order for it to work with the router.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 11 of 30
usulsuspct
Aspirant

Not sure the article you provided regarding IPTV/VLAN setup is applicable to the Netgear R7800.  I have a R7800 and can confirm there is no IPTV/VLAN support currently (in the 1.0.2.04 firmware.

So I am guessing things still dont work for OP.

This article applies to:

Message 12 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi usulsuspct,

Can you see the VLAN/Bridge setup option under the Advanced Setup? You can configure your IPTV using that feature. Check the KB article since it has the same configuration.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 13 of 30
usulsuspct
Aspirant

JamesGL - thanks for the response.

Same as what I commented above, there is no such feature on my model.  R7800 - which aligns with the KB article only listing:

This article applies to:
WiFi Routers(5)
R7000
R7900
R8000
R8300
R8500

So it would appear this model is in between a rock and a hard place.

Message 14 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi usulsuspc,

I have an R7800 and I can see the option of VLAN/Bridge. Please do not refer to the KB article for the option since it has different option(VLAN/IPTV Setup). I have provided the KB article for the configuration once you have selected the VLAN/Bridge option which is available under advanced tab> advance setup. For more information, please refer to page 83 of the user manual.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7800/R7800_UM_EN.pdf?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 15 of 30
usulsuspct
Aspirant

Thanks for the link James - I am probably staring this in the face but I just dont see it.

When I look at the Advanced - > Advanced Setup tab I dont see any mention of IPTV/VLAN.

The following is what I see - is this the right section?

Thanks Again.

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 8.32.21 PM.png

Message 16 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi usulsuspc,

Below is the screenshot of my R7800. Based on the screenshot you have provided, the router is set to AP mode. Make sure to set it to router mode and try to reset the router.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 17 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi usulsuspc,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 18 of 30
shahril8488
Tutor

hi JamesGL,
base on the above reply can I safely say that r7800 can now do vlan tagging for those ISP who require special vlan for internet & iptv?
Message 19 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi shahril8488,

That is correct. There is an option to configure the VLAN configuration.

Message 20 of 30
shahril8488
Tutor

hi JamesGL,
which r7800 firmware version are you on OR which firmware version of r7800 that start to support vlan tagging?

tq in advance
Message 21 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi shahril8488,

The latest firmware should support the IPTV/VLAN.

Message 22 of 30
JamesGL
Master

Hi shahril8488,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 23 of 30
shahril8488
Tutor

sure i will. in the process of purchasing the model. hopefully it is 100% compatible with our unifi here in Malaysia
Message 24 of 30
myuu
Aspirant

@shahril8488 hi, have you made your purchase yet? any feedback on its compatibility with unifi so far?

i'm also eyeing this router, and wondering if you're facing any issues using it.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E