Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 as AP - how can I manage it?

firefox111
Apprentice

R7800 as AP - how can I manage it?

Hello.  I am setting up this R7800 which was just collecting dust as an AP in my lab. After the factory reset and configuring the basic config requirements, I configured it as an AP to an already existing outer/gateway. It warned me that I may lose my connection because it will acquire IP address from the router/gateway. After clicking on Ok, it did reboot and I had to release and renew my laptop's ipconfig to acquire the IP address from the existing router/gateway. Well, now, I can't seem to connect to the R7800 even if I point my browser to the IP address that the router/gateway assigned to it! 

How can I manage when it is configured as an AP?

Thanks in advance.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: R7800 as AP - how can I manage it?

@firefox111 wrote:

How can I manage when it is configured as an AP?

Find the IP address on your network and aim a browser at that.

There are various ways to do find the IP address. Start with uyour network's main router and looks for its list of "attached devices" and find the IP address of the R7800.

You can also look for the IP address of the wifi from the R7800.

I use the desktop genie for Windows, which comes with a neat network map. Even better, it comes with a clickable link that takes you to the AP's IP address.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

To make life easier for yourself, you can reserve an IP address that your main router assigns to the R7800. Then you know which IP address to aim your browser at. I do that all the time with an Orbi in AP mode that sits behind my R7800. Then just create a shortcut for the AP.

Message 2 of 4
firefox111
Apprentice

Yep. I already know the IP address because I have it reserved at the gateway router. Yet, when I point my browser to it, it does mot respond. Do I need to preconfigure the remote management option to allow to connect to it? This is my first time to configure a wireless router as AP only in my home network. I just don't understand why the R7800 does not respond with the management console. It responds to ping though, and, I can connect to its SSID!

Message 3 of 4
firefox111
Apprentice

I take it back! Now it's alive and responging to ping and opening the management interface. False alarm! Sorry.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7