R7800 both bands not talking to each other

fat404
Aspirant

R7800 both bands not talking to each other

I just bought the R7800 yesterday. I have two wifi bands (2.4G and 5G) setup under seperate SSID.

Chromecast and Chrome Remote Desktop are not working when devices are connected under different wifi bands. It only works when they are under the same band.

Example, my Pixel 2 XL that is connected to 5G establishes the connection to CRD flawlessly to my desktop that is on 5G. However, when switching the phone to 2.4G, the connection to CRD (5G) was established but a black screen was shown.

Switching my desktop to 2.4G, CRD works when my phone is 2.4G. 5G fails (connection established, screen would not mirror).

Is there wireless isolation going on with this router? There seems to be no option to turn wireless isolation on/off.

The same "ghosting" behaviour happens when I am using any of the chromecast apps under different bands. It says casting was successful but nothing happens on my TV.

I had no problem with different wifi bands talking to each other when using my previous router (TPLINK Archer C5).

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
fat404
Aspirant

Re: R7800 both bands not talking to each other

I am on the latest firmware V1.0.2.46.

I even tried factory resetting and tested with the factory settings' wifi networks (NETGEAR16 and NETGEAR16-5G). Only adjustment I did after resetting was add VLAN tagging so that I could connect to my ISP. My ISP requires VLAN tagging to work.

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The only hope might be that there is the IGMP proxy enabled which is known to break IGMP and the like Multicast fail between the different wireless interfaces. It's not isolation - a simple ping or other connection oriented services you can reach devices on the other interfaces. Try to locate the control - and disable if not required for ie. your ISP IPTV environment.

If this is not the case and the IGMP proxy is disabled - back to Netgear to fix it. And as your device is new, please open a support call!! Otherwise they will never wake up.

This is one of the few case I'm happy users run two different network names - as it does make troubleshooting clear. For normal operations, one network name (one ESSID) is the way to go.

Message 3 of 5
pec967
Luminary

I have seen reports of similar problems when using VLAN tagging. Do a search on this forum for VLAN tagging.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
baconcake
Aspirant

The latest firmware 1.0.2.52 resolves this issue.  I was fighting this for 6 months before finding a beta and now the released firmware that resolves this issue.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E