Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 cannot change device priority

fidelity
Tutor

R7800 cannot change device priority

I have a new R7800 which I upgraded to the latest firmware (1.0.0.40) before configuring anything. I turned the Dynamic QoS on and allowed the automatic database update. However, the automatic device recognition doesn't seem to work very well. Almost all devices in my network are listed as "other". Even my LAN connected desktop (Win10) isn't automatically recognized as Windows PC. I set the device types manually including the device priorities. The problem is that the priority setting isn't saved. No matter which level I choose and apply, the setting is always "low" when I return to the device's page. It doesn't even default to the device type's default, which for a Windows PC would be "high".

By the way, the attached devices view has massive amounts of wasted space compared to some screenshots I have seen on the forums. On other Netgear routers the view is a neat table which also displays the device priorities. In the R7800 layout, the view fits only 3½ devices and doesn't even display the device priority. Not very user friendly.

Devices.PNG

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mediatrek
Virtuoso

I had this issue as well. I ended up doing a factory reset of the unit, then reconfiguring the settings the way I like all over again (really should never use a config backup file). I have not had the issue reappear again. The only thing I would also suggest is make sure you update the Dynamic QoS database, then reboot the router prior to configuring device QoS priorities the way you like.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

@fidelity follow these screenshots

R7800_QOS1.jpgR7800_QOS2.jpg

btw I test 2 device 1 on Low and 1 on High... testing youtube traffic and it prioritized the device properly. 

List by Application Sort by Bandwidth

Message 2 of 7
garethr
Tutor

@storm1985I think @fidelity's point which mirrors my own experience is that manually setting the priority is not being persisted. So if I set a device as highest, apply and then go back into the screen for that device the priority has been reset to low or whatever the device's default was.
Message 3 of 7
mediatrek
Virtuoso

I had this issue as well. I ended up doing a factory reset of the unit, then reconfiguring the settings the way I like all over again (really should never use a config backup file). I have not had the issue reappear again. The only thing I would also suggest is make sure you update the Dynamic QoS database, then reboot the router prior to configuring device QoS priorities the way you like.

Message 4 of 7
fidelity
Tutor

@garethr wrote:
@storm1985I think @fidelity's point which mirrors my own experience is that manually setting the priority is not being persisted. So if I set a device as highest, apply and then go back into the screen for that device the priority has been reset to low or whatever the device's default was.

This is the issue. The only exception is that the device priority is set to "low" always, regardless of the device's default or the setting I choose. Everytime I set something, apply, and return to the page, the setting has been reverted to "low".

I will try @mediatrek's advice and do a factory reset.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 5 of 7
fidelity
Tutor

@mediatrek's advice seems to have worked! I reverted to factory settings, enabled and updated QoS, rebooted, and then setup device priorities. Settings seem to stick now. Let's hope it stays that way. 🙂

The device recognition is still very poor. It doesn't even recognize Chromecast automatically. Only my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 was recognized correctly as a an Android tablet, all other devices had to be defined manually. Can't have everything...

Message 6 of 7
mediatrek
Virtuoso

@fidelity wrote:

The device recognition is still very poor. It doesn't even recognize Chromecast automatically. Only my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 was recognized correctly as a an Android tablet, all other devices had to be defined manually. Can't have everything...

I have noticed the automatic device recognition in the Netgear Qualcomm Dynamic QoS offerings (R7500, R7500v2, R7800) seem not to be on target as they are in other Qualcomm-based routers offering Streamboost traffic shapping dynamic QoS (ie- Zyxel NBG6816, Zyxel MBG6716, d-Link DGL-5500, TRENDnet TEW-827DRU).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7