Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 cannot get IP from Xfinity

Kestrel1
Aspirant

R7800 cannot get IP from Xfinity

Yesterday, our R7800 router spontaneously lost Internet twice from Xfinity. The first time, it came back 15 minutes after a modem/router power cycle. The second time it stayed down and will not come back up.

Got in touch with Comcast support and between they and I, they sent a modem reset signal at least a dozen times. They eventually had me put a laptop directly into the modem and I was able to pull an IP then. Comcast declared it wasn’t their problem and refused to help further.

I tried cloning the laptop MAC to the router’s WAN port, just in case they were doing MAC registration, but that also did not work.

I’m running out of things to try and I cannot figure out what could be the issue. Other than not being able to pull a IP over DHCP from Comcast, the router seems to be in perfect working order.

Is there anything else I can try or check?
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Kestrel1
Aspirant

Well, I found a solution sort of.

I pretty much gave up and tried the last thing I could think of: Reset to factory defaults.

I then reconfigured the router from scratch with the exact same settings I used before. I instantly connected online.

No idea what the cause was, I can only assume some kind of software fault or corrupted config file. In any event, I guess I don’t need a new router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JWS9518
Apprentice

If you have not already done so, unplug both the modem and router for at least 30 seconds...then plug both back in and see if that resolves your issue.

Message 2 of 4
Kestrel1
Aspirant

Did that at least a dozen times. I left both the modem and the router unplugged overnight even.
Message 3 of 4
Kestrel1
Aspirant

Well, I found a solution sort of.

I pretty much gave up and tried the last thing I could think of: Reset to factory defaults.

I then reconfigured the router from scratch with the exact same settings I used before. I instantly connected online.

No idea what the cause was, I can only assume some kind of software fault or corrupted config file. In any event, I guess I don’t need a new router.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7